Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9044968 07/23/14
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I figured I would start this thread to document the evolution of what I decided was my new long range everything rifle. Much thanks to MontanaMarine for all of his help and insight.

History:
I grew up shooting a 338 win. My dad said that was the minimum for elk and if I wanted to shoot an elk, I should use the 338. In retrospect, he was definitely f*cking with me. He used a 7mm Rem for everything and had shot quite a few elk. Anyway, recently I started shooting again and slowly came to the conclusion that I could not survive putting the number of rounds down range that I really should to maintain the competency level I required. This meant that even though I loved my Tikka 695, it would have to go and be replaced by something I could shoot that much.

Rifle:
I already had a Tikka T3 in .243 and a DRW .260 built on a T3 action, so the action type and cartride family was pretty much determined from the onset. I had also talked to MM about the viability of the 208 A-max in the 308. So based on all of this, I bought a new synthetic/stainless T3 in 308 and added a SWFA 3-9 in Talley lows.

Problems:
I wanted a relatively light rifle (the 695 was over 9 lbs) and something I would feel comfortable shooting and hunting with. The Tikka T3 was good on most fronts, but there was some room for improvement.

First, I needed to address the height of the scope. The tupperware stock that came with the Tikka did not get my head up enough to effectively shoot from the prone position. To cure that problem, I blatantly ripped off 16Bore and machined the Talleys so I had 0.100" clearance. This brought the scope down to the perfect height for me in prone.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Second, I replaced the recoil pad (limbsaver) and the bolt shroud (tikkaperformance). I am on the fence about getting a tactical bolt knob for it and will probably decide that when I have spent more time shooting it.

Third, I wanted to run heavies in the rifle, but I did not want to single load. So I traded my 308 mag for a 30-06 mag. I then trimmed the bolt stop back with a dremel and had a long action. I thought this was a solution until I tried to run some rounds through it. It jammed on every round. To fix this I made a magazine insert (I cut the lid of a berger bullets container to the right dimensions, stacked the strips up and melted them together.) I then cut the back of the feed ramp off and epoxied the insert in the back of the magazine. I left myself 3.100" of usable magazine length. The 208's touch the lands at 3.080" and I am going to run everything 0.020" off the lands in the future. The 190 ABLR touches the lands at 3.065". It now loads flawlessly.
[Linked Image]
Finally, I painted it. Pictures to come.

Future:
1.)Bed the action
2.)Softbrake from DRW
3.)Get it blooded

All in all, I like the outcome. It's under 8 lbs with 3 in the mag and feels really comfortable. I am working up a load for the 190 gr ABLR with Varget that is right at 2600 fps. I think this will be a good bullet for the 308 because it seems to be soft enough to open at slower velocities and it has a great BC.

J.A.F.O.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's pretty uber.

If anybody knows .308's, it's MontanaMarine.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice Rig. cool I look forward to seeing how it shoots.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I took a bunch of pictures of the paint job. The combination of schitty light and schitty camera means I only have two that are even decent. I will take it outside with the DSLR tomorrow for some "fence post" pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I used some black high temp spray paint first, then I added a grey/black texture paint over the top. I practically have to peel it off my hands. I was worried the texture would rough up my most redeeming feature, but the beard seems to handle it alright.

J.A.F.O.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice! I need to get something similar built/bought/setup. A one stop shop for everything is something I think I'd be better off with. I have that now, it's just that it's a 9.5# 338 Win Mag. Something like you have is definitely more sensible.

Just a question though, instead of all the hoop-la with the magazine why not just use a 30-06?

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Get a new bolt stop and an '06 mag and you are golden.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by pointer
Very nice! I need to get something similar built/bought/setup. A one stop shop for everything is something I think I'd be better off with. I have that now, it's just that it's a 9.5# 338 Win Mag. Something like you have is definitely more sensible.

Just a question though, instead of all the hoop-la with the magazine why not just use a 30-06?

I don't have a great reason that I went with a 308 over the -06, other than all of my rifles are now .308 based. A side benefit is that I never have to change the shell holder on my press.

The magazine conversion wasn't very difficult and works great now, but I couldn't fault someone for going with an -06 instead.

J.A.F.O.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Get a new bolt stop and an '06 mag and you are golden.

This is basically what I tried to do first. But I had some significant chambering issues. I shortened the feed ramp and eliminated the problem. To be clear, I started with an 06 mag, not a 308 mag.

J.A.F.O.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Nick_or_Rutledge

A side benefit is that I never have to change the shell holder on my press.

You'd not have to change your shellholder if you'd gone 30-06 either, you piss drunk cock.

Unless you're one of those people that uses UBER specific shellholders for different schit. But I'm not one of those people.

Either way. Cool project. Interested to see what you can squeeze out of it.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Travis, I was begining to think I was gonna have to pull a bunch of 308 bullets, or 30 06, Cuz I use the same shell holder 4 them also.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer

I don't have a great reason that I went with a 308 over the -06, other than all of my rifles are now .308 based. A side benefit is that I never have to change the shell holder on my press.

The magazine conversion wasn't very difficult and works great now, but I couldn't fault someone for going with an -06 instead.
Copy that. Thanks for the answer

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by deflave

A side benefit is that I never have to change the shell holder on my press.

You'd not have to change your shellholder if you'd gone 30-06 either, you piss drunk cock.

Unless you're one of those people that uses UBER specific shellholders for different schit. But I'm not one of those people.

Either way. Cool project. Interested to see what you can squeeze out of it.

Travis

Leave my sobriety (or lack there of) out of this. I also want to see what this combination can do and have high hopes.

Unfortunately, this project is on hold until I complete my move. I think I should be able to work on it again at the end of August.

J.A.F.O.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
So I was looking at some load data (Nosler), and it looks like I would have to use ~15 grains more powder to get ~100 more fps going to the 30-06. I think I like the 308's efficiency in this case.

J.A.F.O.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Moving sucks.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Where is The Rut moving to?

Travis

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Moving sucks.

Yeah it does...especially when it is OUT of Montana.

Originally Posted by Deflave
Where is The Rut moving to?

Travis

Moving over to the Kitsap Peninsula for a job. The job seems awesome, but I wish it was in MT.

J.A.F.O.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ouch...

Let me know if you need any help. I'll get travis over there lickety split.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I love helping people move. Especially toward the end of the day when they realize they don't need all the schit they own.

Blood in the water is a beautiful thing...

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When moving, at the end of the day, I don't WANT all the chit I own.

Remember Nick, we're laughing at you, not with you.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Remember Nick, we're laughing at you, not with you.

I am comfortable with that...

J.A.F.O.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 1_deuce, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 54 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,613
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.