Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Hatari, my dad told me about 50 years ago, that his primary job as a parent, was to prepare his children for adult life. I think he did a fine job. All of my many brothers and sisters would pass your check list just fine, and we all have gone on to have productive, happy lives.
You should be proud of that girl. laugh

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When our son left for college, I don't think he was 20 miles down the road before we had his room emptied and repainted it. Turned it into an office. He ended up with a room in the basement for when he did come home . . .

Our daughter was going to be the hard one as she and my bride are/were very close. Bride was really NOT looking forward to her leaving, so we set up a week + long vacation for just the two of us to the Richmond, VA and Colonial Williamsburg area. Took her mind off the empty nest.

We got along fine with both the kids. Both of them were good kids and didn't cause much strife for us as far as getting into trouble . . . it was just time for them to continue to grow up and be on their own.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Hatari, my dad told me about 50 years ago, that his primary job as a parent, was to prepare his children for adult life. I think he did a fine job. All of my many brothers and sisters would pass your check list just fine, and we all have gone on to have productive, happy lives.
You should be proud of that girl. laugh

Thank you, I appreciate that. I agree with your dad, especially because he sounds like my dad. smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

The direct and short answer to your question is its VERY HARD and yet its rewarding and its inevitable.
Prepare yourself and your Mrs.!
Best of luck to you and yours.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

OK, he's right!!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J

IMHO, my greatest accomplishment, as a father, was watching my two sons leave home and take on the world on their terms and with confidence.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I always thought the reason one raised kids was for them to leave.

you give them roots so that they may grow wings. smirk

used to worry about empty nest syndrome a fair bit, raising, recreating and providing for our kids the last 20 years or so took up a huge chunk of life.

but we're enjoying the time together just me and mom, still have a 16 year old at home that loves to hang with us. But he works so his time with us is limited due to his working.

we worked hard a long time ago and are enjoying the fruits of that now. It's so easy with just the two of us, fix a meal, eat it out of the skillet, two forks to wash. lol

and my wife she's damned fine company, love having our kids when they're with us, but I'm fine with just mom and me

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My parents had no problems with the three of us when we headed off to school and my wife and I had no problems when our two son's did the same. Still have #3 son to go in a couple of years. I truly believe it is good for all and best when the kids are a fair bit away so they cannot readily come home, see local friends, etc. Time to grow for all.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The time comes when every boy must spread his wings and fly, just as the time come when every girl must spread her legs and leave. It's the nature of the beast.

I can still hear my dad saying (when I was 18 and a few months), "Son, you know I love you but you have to get the hell out of this house."

He was right.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am in the same boat as the OP. My only child (son) will be a HS senior this fall and we are out looking at colleges now. It will be tough on me when he leaves but it will be worse for his mother. The saddest thing is that if he wants a good job in the area that he is interested in he will have to move far from home.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
kids hell,i was estatic when the MIL moved out

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.