Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by pal
You might be right--they did a heck of a job matching the grain. But the lopsided appearance of the plug makes me suspicious.

I agree about the lopsided, and of course the stock was cut down later for the after-market recoil pad. So had the plug been there it might have been a better blend job originally.

GB1

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Installed/ground the Pachmayr Decelerator, not perfect but I�m happy with the results. Maybe that lower �sharp� point on the bottom angle should be rounded a bit? Scope is tight (I hope :)), now to get to the range�
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looking good gus..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gusb
...Maybe that lower �sharp� point on the bottom angle should be rounded a bit?...

I'd round them both, a little. Looks great.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks bsa/pal.

Just ordered this 1907 Military type sling from Brownells - any opinion?

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...itor-plus-sling-w-swivels-prod25733.aspx

May try to find original pre64 1-1/4" swivels at some point on eBay, etc.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I wish I had known that was the sling you liked, I bought one of the Carlos Hathcock, white feather slings to go with my target in sporter stock, just to bulky and heavy. I have gone to the black light almost sponge jobs, Im all about comfort and lite these days. very best WinPoor

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
I wish I had known that was the sling you liked, I bought one of the Carlos Hathcock, white feather slings to go with my target in sporter stock, just to bulky and heavy. I have gone to the black light almost sponge jobs, Im all about comfort and lite these days. very best WinPoor

Thanks WPoor. I had looked at the Turner Slings website (www.turnersling.com) and also the Tam (www.lestam.com) guy in Hawaii.

But I�ve had good luck with Brownells in the past and they give their slings high praise in the descriptions so I thought I would bite. Almost went for their Quick-Set Latigo but the 1907 seemed more universal � someday I may find that Garand. smile Plus they seem to have a good return policy, etc.

Richard Turner, Turner Saddlery, P.O. Box 120, Clay, Alabama, 35048. (205) 680-9377 and Leslie Tam, 1411 Saint Louis Dr., Honolulu, HI 96816, (808) 737-5427.

Last edited by Gusb; 07/23/14.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They are fantastic slings, and with the frogs you can set them up perfect. They are just so dog dam heavy and hard for me to 'break in' the oder I get the more I go the comfort route, As fat as military I love the old cotton duck web slings, all I own are a green OD color, I think they fit the Garand as well as some were done for the 30 cal carbine. I used to get them at the Army Navy store for 10 bucks but my last trip they said they were out and could get no more. I used to go up to Marine Corp base in Albany Ga for surplus auctions and had a chance to buy a bin of probably 400 of them for next to nothing ! This is a marine rebuild base and at one time they rebuilt all the Mod 70 Targets that were being used in Vietnam there! What I would not give for a mod 70 with the air gauged Douglas barrel they had just reworked along with the 8X Unertl !!!!! I would belly crawl the 40 mi back home from the base!!!! we live and learn! very best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks bsa/pal.

Gus, I've been known to use the old military leather slings like that one:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

However, when I'm packing around my heavy boy Ruger M77 MKII 338 win mag during elk season, I opt for a light comfy old sling like this Uncle Mike's:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One thing worth mentioning is, I stay away from the new uncle Mikes slings now because they use plastic hardware instead of steel like the older ones (one pictured above). I also keep a couple military type slings ready for the hunt and don't store them with my rifles. Most of my pre 64's still have the original sling swivels, so the leather slings get thrown on just before I go hunting.
[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I also like the 1907-style military slings.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the lefty Ruger. Makes me miss mine.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks bsa/pal.

Gus, I've been known to use the old military leather slings like that one:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

However, when I'm packing around my heavy boy Ruger M77 MKII 338 win mag during elk season, I opt for a light comfy old sling like this Uncle Mike's:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One thing worth mentioning is, I stay away from the new uncle Mikes slings now because they use plastic hardware instead of steel like the older ones (one pictured above). I also keep a couple military type slings ready for the hunt and don't store them with my rifles. Most of my pre 64's still have the original sling swivels, so the leather slings get thrown on just before I go hunting.
[Linked Image]

The leather Montana slings work well. They're easily adjustable and don't have any metal hardware if your worried about the stock.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like metal hardware, because I've had the cheap plastic ones break. Post a link for the Montana sling and we can check them out. Thanks...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Found it (I think). Ben, those won't work with factory pre 64 win model 70 sling swivels...:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/2436146992

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got one on my rifle. You can get them with out sewn swivels, but with Chicago screws. Take it apart and put it on your swivels . pretty easy but I don't take it off very often.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I take mine off after hunting (especially during elk season), because they get soaked from the rain. Don't want my rifles getting rusty (from a wet sling) in the safe.. Do you have one of these slings on your fwt in the micky stock?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah. I like them alot. Typical if anything gets wet I make sure everything is good and dry before I put it away. Never had any trouble with the leather retaining moisture or having to work about the rifle itself.
[Linked Image]

I actually prefer the swivels on the factory stock. They seem less clunky and whatnot. If I knew how to install the swivels on the edge idbthink about it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like that rifle Ben. It reminds me of my 270 fwt.. Those stocks are just about a perfect match for the fwt's..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, its hard to find something to complain about. I've been reaching for that rifle over my factory stocked 06 more and more.

If you haven't tried the Montana sling yet. I'd give it a shot. Try the one with the swivels, or try the one with Chicago screws. Its probably worth spending the 5-10 minutes to remove the sling when needed.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

722 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.