1981 RM-125

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prm; 07/23/14.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a 1985 Yamaha YZ 125 when I was in middle school loved that bike lots of good memories riding with friends and riding girlfriend around on it. She got my cherry, man I miss that girl and that bike.

My current bike I love as well. Honda XR650R 2007 model, tons of power right off the bottom all the way to the top. I want a giant loop for it so I can do some bike campiing. That will only make me love more. I looked for 3 years for this one. I found it in alabama and it was bought new in 2009 and had only been ridden 6 or 8 time, essentially a brand new bike. LOVE IT!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Toddly
I sold this 1973 Honda 350 a few years back, wish I would have kept it!

[Linked Image]
Wish I was the one who bought it from you. That's a sweet bike. I'd like to get one for my daughter.

Can't knock the technological advances in motorcycles over the last few decades but those older machines were so simple to maintain, particularly those air cooled vertical twins and single cylinders. Everything was out in the open where you could get to it, no need to half disassemble it to change plugs. And with such a simple design even a rookie like me could understand them and work on them.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Only truly Loved 1 of them...

A Honda Trail 70 like this one...

It was my key to freedom as a kid.

Put a Bazillion miles on it with a gun or fishing pole strapped the side....tore up the countryside dirt roads. Was also used to check my "trapline" consisting of a handful of odds n ends traps...not good for jumping Terraces, but never broke anything on it.

[Linked Image]

While I prefer two smokes, those single cylinder air cooled Honda engines seem to run forever.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by Toddly
I sold this 1973 Honda 350 a few years back, wish I would have kept it!

[Linked Image]
Wish I was the one who bought it from you. That's a sweet bike. I'd like to get one for my daughter.

Can't knock the technological advances in motorcycles over the last few decades but those older machines were so simple to maintain, particularly those air cooled vertical twins and single cylinders. Everything was out in the open where you could get to it, no need to half disassemble it to change plugs. And with such a simple design even a rookie like me could understand them and work on them.
Yep, very easy to work on. Here is the video I made of the bike when I decided to sell it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've ridden a few buddies bikes over the years, only bike I've ever owned was an '85 cr 125

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
'06 FXSTI..first new bike...long gone but fond memories

[Linked Image]

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by P_Weed
1978 Yamaha SR500: One-Lunger, Kick Start, Street Bike - (Lots'a torque!)

http://www.2ri.de/Images/Big/0/Yamaha_SR500_1978.jpg

Still got it ,,,

The SR is back! Now it's a 400, but it's much like the old SR500.

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelhome/691/home.aspx

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My first love was a 1972 Suzuki 185. After a mini bike, a Honda 50 and a Honda 100 this was a real motorcycle to me. At 14, this bike, my friends and my girlfriend were my life. After removing the lights, mirrors, and installing knobby tires and an expansion chamber, this bike would climb any hill known in South Jersey and outrun most of my buddies bikes. This was a first kick every time bike.
[Linked Image]
My 2nd love was a 1975 BMW R90/6 and it was all that I had for transportation but in South Florida that's all that a 20 year old guy needed. Every night I would carefully ride it thru my front door and park it in my living room. No way was she staying outside where rust and thieves could get to it. Ive had many bikes since those days but those 2 I would take back if I could.
[Linked Image]

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's two very cool bikes. Sounds like your Suzuki was exactly like my Yamaha 175 Enduro...just plain dependable and competent.

The R90 was an outstanding bike. BMW has gained some steps and lost a few steps. They lead in technology in many areas but they have really lost some steps in reliability. Still, they are a nice ride. If I found an R90 at a decent price, I'd grab it up. The problem with the older Boxer engine Bimmers. Most have a gazillion miles on them. Because Bimmer owners are some serious riders.

But I love that engine design, everything for maintenance is right out there, easy to get at. The newer Boxers, not so much. but those '70's and '80's Boxers are just a dream to work on.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Okay the R90 makes me want to play:
69 Honda Mini Trail
71 Honda CL175
78 Triumph Bonneville (the only one bought new.)
74 BMW R90/6
84 Kawasaki ZN1100
03 Moto Guzzi California Titanium (What was I waiting for?)

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jahrs,

Continuing...

Like you, in my early 20's it was motorcycle only for me. I didn't park my Seca 550 in the house, but it was on the front porch right next to my bedroom window. If anyone messed with it, they'd be looking at the business end of a pistol. (for a while the only handgun I had back then was a Broomhandle Mauser; but she was reliable).

My 550 Seca took me everywhere and did so very comfortably. It lacked the low end of your Bimmer, but get it into the power band and it would beat ANY two cylinder factory bike regardless of how many CC's back then. I've been trying to find a 550 Seca just to re-live the old days; not many of them out there. I'm sure the handling and acceleration wouldn't even remotely compare to my ZZR-1200, but I'm also sure the old Seca 550 would be a pure joy to ride.

About a year ago I rode a late 1976 R90 factory Cafe Racer with the fade paint job and the little quarter faring. Man that was one cool bike. And despite being nearly 40 years old, she handled very well; I could be happy with that bike.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
...03 Moto Guzzi California Titanium (What was I waiting for?)
That's a good looking bike!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
it would have to be martha,ive had this 1968 T120r bonneville since 1981.right now i have a fall apart 2003 harley fxd

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That's two very cool bikes. Sounds like your Suzuki was exactly like my Yamaha 175 Enduro...just plain dependable and competent.

The R90 was an outstanding bike. BMW has gained some steps and lost a few steps. They lead in technology in many areas but they have really lost some steps in reliability. Still, they are a nice ride. If I found an R90 at a decent price, I'd grab it up. The problem with the older Boxer engine Bimmers. Most have a gazillion miles on them. Because Bimmer owners are some serious riders.

But I love that engine design, everything for maintenance is right out there, easy to get at. The newer Boxers, not so much. but those '70's and '80's Boxers are just a dream to work on.

I have temporally given up riding because of 2 recent knee replacements but if I ever do buy another bike you can bet your sweet bippy i'll be looking for another R90/6 or 100/7.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

First motorcycle was a turquoise and cream 1968 BSA Starfire 250cc. I bought it for $450 virtually brand new. Hid it from my parents and rode it to high school. Brought it home one day to show my dad, thinking he would let me keep it because it was so pretty. He drove into the driveway after work. Asked me who the bike belonged to, then asked me how much I paid for it. He then told me to put it in the front yard and put a for sale sign on it, and walked into the house without another word. It sold in one day for $450.

[Linked Image]

My third motorcycle was a brand new 1973 Triumph 750 Bonneville. I bought this motorcycle in Rota, Spain with my $1,500 Combat Arms Enlistment bonus from the Marines. Toured Andaluc�a Spain from Rota to Torremolinos, to Granada, and Sevilla with my buddy who had a 1974 Norton 850 Commando. This photo was taken in Torremolinos when I was 20.

[Linked Image]

30 years later I discovered Moto GP racing and Italian motorcycles. Since the kids were gone I bought this 2001 Aprilia SL Mille to be a "Ricky Racer." Off'd it and bought a 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Corsa, perhaps the best motorcycle I have ever owned. Sold it and turned around and bought its stable mate a 2004 Moto Guzzi Coppa Italia.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a few bikes including a GeezerGLide (Honda Goldwing) for a short while, and some Yamaha Enduro's way back when. My favorite is my current bike. We went racing again last Saturday. This pictures is from a couple of weeks ago but this is the bike. Started out as an 883R, but is now punched out to 1230cc's, Weisco pistons and jugs, Andrews N-4 Cams, Ported and polished heads with the biggest valves we could shoehorn in, Aluminum intake manifold and S&S Super "E" carbourator. Had designs on getting it turbo'ed, but that project has not come together yet. Best part of last Saturday was beating a brand new Kawasaki Ninja 1100 head to head, straight up race during the time trials. He was starting to catch up to me at the end of the track, ALMOST DID (A great race!) so I have to find a few more HP before I go back grin :

[Linked Image]

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Orange Okie,

Gorgeous bikes, those Guzzi's! I have to get a seat stop put on my bike like yours have before it dumps my butt on the ground. I won't have to hang on for dear life while trying to ride and ecxellerate. Only now do I understand why the big 'guzzi's and a few bikes have those pieces standing striaght up at the back of one's seat. To keep the rider IN the seat!

I like your current Red monster the best. Looks like loads of fun.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I would be made fun of if showed my current motorcycle that I ride to my office 3-4 times a week.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mine was a "toilet seat" (trail) 90 I got used. Favorite 'cause it's been my only motorcycle. It was kinda fubar, it'd been overheated enough the head would warp and the engine seize if it'd get hot. So ... sit there for a half hour or so 'til it'd cool off.

I broke a few things. I flew it far too high once and it came down hard enough to crunch the rear shock. I rode that out without wrecking but I'm not sure how. Despite the automatic clutch, I missed a shift one time, it wound out to red-line, then caught. Busted some parts inside and I spent two years trying to fix it. Finally gave it away.

One time I managed to do a 30-something mph 360 degree spin without laying it down. I was toolin' along, saw a barb wire fence laying down in the grass, locked the brake, and it just spun around without going down. WTF? Didn't think that was possible. Good thing that straw-like dry grass is slick, if I'd had traction I might have gotten hurt.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 13 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.