Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Growing up leg of lamb was the traditional Easter meal. I would like to have some now, seeking ideas on how to prepare and cook.

GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dry rub and bake is by far the easiest , and with pretty damn good reason.
Treat it like a rib roast, put into a hot oven (450-500) for ten to twenty minutes depending on size, then down to 300 or so till it hits 120 internal. Remove and let rest for 15 minutes or a little more while other sides are prepped, then carve and smile as your guest gobble it down.
[img]https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net...8878b178ee56a7f3cce3b324&oe=5452F3EB[/img]
[Linked Image]
[img]https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net...fd96802b8726b0db794e85b2&oe=543C881A[/img]
[Linked Image]

Dad's side of the family is Russian, I've had lots of roasted/BBQ leg of lamb.
Skewered and marinated shoschlick or however the hell you want to spell it. Onions, lemon, wine, garlic, hot grill and lots of fun.(three days in a crock pot)
[Linked Image]
[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd....4602197_bc857cf2381e29f9847ac52f3a3c1193[/img]
[Linked Image]
[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd....4424661_6e2edd7352daea8ac714ec32d926e007[/img]

Also great is deboned and butterflied, marinated in blended onions, oranges, jalapenos, and cilantro. Soak over night and grill on charcoal.
Hope some of these help.

Sean
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Calikooknic

That last recipe . . .
Grilled as in, like a grilling a steak or cooked on the grill as if baking in the oven

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LouisB
Calikooknic

That last recipe . . .
Grilled as in, like a grilling a steak or cooked on the grill as if baking in the oven

I used a Weber kettle,so......both. Get it nice and hot with the coals to one side. Put the entire butterflied roast down on the heat and give it a little sear and color, then flip and move to the cooler side and cook for about 20-30 minutes depending on size.(again, till about 120 internal) Much like you would do with a Tri-tip or pork loin.

Sean
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I too like to de-bone and butterfly a leg of lamb.

I coat it with a mixture of minced garlic, finely chopped fresh basil and chopped fresh thyme.

Good luck!

Last edited by Rgramjet; 07/20/14.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This thread makes my mouth water!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am getting hungry. I love lamb, have one every Easter Sunday. Don't know why I don't have it more often. I guess I need to do something about that!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rgramjet

I coat it with a mixture of minced garlic, finely chopped fresh basil and chopped fresh thyme.

Good luck!

I'll give this a try. Can get this from the garden. Well, except for Lil'Bopeep.

Sounds delicious. What do you serve it with?

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't forget the Mint Jelly!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I, like others, am now starving..........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Butterflied and marinated in lemon, garlic and herbs de Provence with some olive oil. Grill it hot and fast, keeping it rare. I serve it with grilled asparagus and rice pilaf.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lamb.......open dumpster an toss in shocked ...or give the little lamb back to Mary laugh (I don't like it )

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Studded with garlic cloves & rubbed with a little olive oil, salt & pepper & fresh rosemary. I, too start with a very hot oven for 20 minutes to sear & seal & then reduce the heat to low & slow for an internal medium rare temperature.

The low & slow ensures that the internal fats render & moistens the meat.

Great with creamy scalloped potatoes (with garlic of course), or roasted potatoes, steamed asparagus, or sauted green beans.

Must have light gravy (au jus), mint sauce, or mint jelly in a pinch.

Oh, & a great bottle of Australian, Barossa Valley Shiraz !

P.S. Like all meats, bone in takes longer.

Last edited by New_2_99s; 07/21/14. Reason: add P.S.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Growing up leg of lamb was the traditional Easter meal. I would like to have some now, seeking ideas on how to prepare and cook.
I use a modified version of Julia Child's recipe. Always have, and it always turns out great.

First make deep slits with a pointed knife all over it. Then stick into each slit one sliver of garlic and one sliver of lemon peel. Now squeeze the juice of half a lemon on the leg and rub it around evenly. Now give the exterior a light coat of extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary. On to the rack of a roasting pan fat side up, then into a preheated 400 degree oven for a half hour. Then down to 350 degrees for (assuming a 7-8 pound leg) between another 1.25 to 1.5 hours more, checking the temperature starting at around the one hour mark, then every fifteen minutes. You will want it medium rare to rare (lamb isn't good cooked more than that), so you're looking for an internal temp of about 130 degrees. When done, take it out, cover with tinfoil, and let rest for fifteen minutes. Meanwhile, make the gravy.

For the gravy, take the drippings and put them in a pan over medium heat. Add enough flour to make a good roux. Stir it around till the flour absorbs all the oil and juices. Should have almost a "play-doh" consistency. Mash and stir it till it's the color of the gravy that you want. Then gradually add beef broth and about a cup of white wine while stirring. You want to smooth it out so it's not lumpy. Then cook on medium, constantly stirring, till it's thickened to where you want (you can stir in more broth if it's too thick). Adjust salt to taste. You can strain out the lumps with a strainer, if there are any.

Of course, you need mashed potatoes with it. wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't cook lamb but do enjoy it. Recently had some that had been injected with apple juice after being marinated in onions, lemon and lime juices, garlic and sweet basil. Was pretty darn good.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I love lamb. Lamb stew is great, too, and I make it often. For some reason, though, lamb stew is only good the day you make it. Leftovers take on a bad flavor when reheated.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by calikooknic

Good luck!

I'll give this a try. Can get this from the garden. Well, except for Lil'Bopeep.

I love this lamb with smashed garlic potatoes or cauliflower, pan roasted Brussels sprouts or spinach. Serve with big, crunchy Cabernet!

Dessert is rocky road ice cream sprinkled with ground Cayenne pepper and a nice Partagas Maduro.

I think this might need to happen this weekend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Good luck!

I love this lamb with smashed garlic potatoes or cauliflower, pan roasted Brussels sprouts or spinach. Serve with big, crunchy Cabernet!

Dessert is rocky road ice cream sprinkled with ground Cayenne pepper and a nice Partagas Maduro.

Will you at least mail me a napkin some one used? Smear a postcard in a dirty plate? That sounds like a hell of a spread. Invite a coupe of good friends or three and enjoy. Dessert is what really got me.

Last edited by calikooknic; 07/22/14. Reason: dirty, not dir

Sean
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Good luck!

Will you at least mail me a napkin some one used? Smear a postcard in a dirty plate? That sounds like a hell of a spread. Invite a coupe of good friends or three and enjoy. Dessert is what really got me.

lmao!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atvalaska
lamb.......open dumpster an toss in shocked ...or give the little lamb back to Mary laugh (I don't like it )

Got to admit, prepared a nice leg of lamb. But would rather have had beef. grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.