Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
The .223 montana in the rack was awful tempting..

I joined the pheasant club.

Travis

Can I come shoot some pheasant with you?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You no-good-sonofabeech.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I guess that is a NO!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Don't ever buy "ANY" new product until it's been out in the public for at least 2-3 years, longer on new model cars and trucks.

So in keeping with this, would you not take a flier on one of the production guns that Montana Rifle Co is putting out?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was Melvin Forbes, I wouldn't let a rifle get out of my shop with that sloppy stock work and after the customer returned the rifle, Forbes let it get out the same way again?
I would have replaced the damned stock and made certain it was bedded right and easy to look at.

Makes one think twice about his NULA at $3K.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by sns2
Don't ever buy "ANY" new product until it's been out in the public for at least 2-3 years, longer on new model cars and trucks.

So in keeping with this, would you not take a flier on one of the production guns that Montana Rifle Co is putting out?

All I'm saying is that 99% of the time you will get a better product after it's been in production for a few years. I don't know what take a flier means.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I guess that is a NO!

You're always welcome here.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by sns2

All I'm saying is that 99% of the time you will get a better product after it's been in production for a few years. I don't know what take a flier means.

flier = chance:)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GeoW
If I was Melvin Forbes, I wouldn't let a rifle get out of my shop with that sloppy stock work and after the customer returned the rifle, Forbes let it get out the same way again?
I would have replaced the damned stock and made certain it was bedded right and easy to look at.

Makes one think twice about his NULA at $3K.

What do a NULA and a Forbes have to do with each other? I know they're both tied to Melvin, but to insinuate that they're similar to one another from a production and QC standpoint really isn't valid.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Especially since Melvin and the NULA shop are in West Virginia and Forbes is in Maine.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Well they ain't called Amos N Andy.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I do love the camaraderie folks have for ol' Mel with a rifle that has his name on it...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So what you are telling me is that Melvin Forbes is NULA but that you are clueless as to who owns Forbes Rifle LLC in Maine?

And are you clueless to the fact that Melvin Forbes hand builds his NULA and gets $3000 for it but that the Forbes Rifles appear to be thrown together with little attention to detail and that some will give $1400 for a bargain rifle with the Forbes name on it?

Get a Colt Light Rifle for $500 and be just as well off.

Forbes didn't get where he's at by being stupid..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Obviously Melvin Forbes is an innovator in the firearms industry and I am just a schmuck who buys guns. It is also obvious that people who have bought NULAs are very happy with them. And they should be for the price they pay. It is also obvious that people are touchy if you say anything that is remotely derogatory about Melvin Forbes.

As a guy who had two successive Forbes rifles that were complete POS, quality control disasters, I have paid for the right to voice my respective opinion.

Like all of us on this board, save for Mule Deer possibly, none of us know the business arrangement. But it is pretty obvious that they do not take apart their guns for a visual inspection of the bedding and running a few dummy rounds through to see if their are FTF / FTE problems. If these jackasses did that, which would take no more than fifteen minutes, NONE of these threads would exist. None. But they don't, so these threads do exist.

I would hazard a guess that not a single NULA has ever gotten out of Melvin's shop without these two things being done.

I am not gonna throw stones, but this tells me that Melvin Forbes likely has very little, if any, control of Forbes Rifles LLC. My guess is he got paid for the design and use of his name, and has some type of royalty arrangement. I bet these fiascos really make his blood boil. If he does have real influence, he needs a kick in the ass like the rest of them.

Last edited by sns2; 07/24/14.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Great post! You hit the nail on the head.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm picking up my Forbes 24B tomorrow, look forward to getting it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SU35
I'm picking up my Forbes 24B tomorrow, look forward to getting it.

Good luck, and please let us know how it looks and shoots.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Will do, I want to also compare it to my 700 Ti and 84L.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SU35
Will do, I want to also compare it to my 700 Ti and 84L.

I'd be interested to hear how it compares, those are two great rifles IMO.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just a bit ago I picked up my Forbes 24b in 6.5x55.

Initial impression is I am very impressed with the rifle.

I had Forbes send it to my smith who builds custom rifles and his minimum cost is $3,000 for his builds.

My smith said he could not build a rifle for what I paid for it. Granted the barrel is not from Wisconsin.

Had I not liked the rifle I could have walked away from the deal.
I took it home.

Not to take away from Loco's bad experience as I respect his opinion..

This Forbes rifle is no CLR nor is it any 84L or Ti. It's grades above the mentioned.

The Forbes stock and metal work and overall finish is much superior to the Kimber.

There was a very slight bit of stock roughness (if you can call it that) in the trigger area but my smith said it was a non-factor.
The Forbes comes pillar bedded and ready to shoot. The trigger out of the box is ready to go at 2.5 to 3 lbs.

I love the stock ergonomics. It fits me great. It feels like a full size rifle and I can tell when a scope is mounted I'll be lined up just about perfect.

Brass ejects with a 'snap' ! no problem there.
The bolt opens slightly rough but that is due to the phosphate finish, which is great as corrosion resistant finish. It will smooth out over time. Not a big deal at all to me.

Weight was 5 lbs 11 oz. maybe due to the smaller bore. (Not as light as my 260 and 270 Ti's)

So, my initial impression is excellent.

Having a hard time deciding which scope to mount.
Thinking 6x42 with an M1 on top.

The rifle has a 1/8 twist and I have some 140 Berger's to send down range. I hope it shoots................and if it does shoot, I can see myself ordering another one of these in 35 Whelen.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,334
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.