Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the glass in the Meopta HDs for 1/2 the cost of Alpha binos. To my eyes for less than $400 the Zeiss Terra would be my choice. I looked through those and sold my older Pentax dcfs that were very good for several years. There are much better inexpensive options today like the Vanguard Endeavor for less than $300.

None of these is as good as the top of the line glass but are good enough most of the time. I'm going to try carrying a compact Leupold spotter this year to identify legal or not legal in thick oak brush across 400 yard wide canyons - but with top quality glass I probably wouldn't need to do that.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
"Huge" ? Well then I'd avoid the Swarovskis like the plague, particularly the EL's.
Leica has had some less than good attitudes about honoring their warranties in the past. But Doug at Cameraland, NY, has had great success in getting the very few that have had such issues resolved.
Which is another point. Very few Leicas ever need repairing, even when used hard. That's because Leica researches and tests their designs extensively before releasing them. Last I heard, Swarovski still hasn't fixed their fogging problems. E

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
"Huge" ? Well then I'd avoid the Swarovskis like the plague, particularly the EL's.
Leica has had some less than good attitudes about honoring their warranties in the past. But Doug at Cameraland, NY, has had great success in getting the very few that have had such issues resolved.
Which is another point. Very few Leicas ever need repairing, even when used hard. That's because Leica researches and tests their designs extensively before releasing them. Last I heard, Swarovski still hasn't fixed their fogging problems. E

Please proved an example of anything other then exceptional CS From SWARO, I don't want to hear internet hearsay either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned and used Leica BN and Ultravid, Zeiss Victory HD, and Swarovski EL Swarovision.

For my eyes I believe the Swarovski are the best. That may be different for other people's eyes.

As to value, it depends on how long you plan to keep them. If you buy an expensive pair of Binos and you keep them for 20 years they will be cheap, especially if you take good care of them.

I have never had any fogging problems with the Swarovski els

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pentax 10x42 Waterproof with the phase coating on the lenses. Side by side comparison with expensive high end binos had those guys asking each other why they spent 600 to 1000 dollars when the Pentax matched performance. This was in Colorado in 2001 on a combination elk and mule deer hunt. Since then I have convinced 3 or 4 hunting buddys to go with Pentax. I have been very happy.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a 10x42 SLC in 2004 for $1000 new in 2004 and just sold it for $800 to upgrade to the 12x50 EL (which are amazing!) In 2012 I sent them back to Swaro because the SWAROVSKI badge was worn off. The re-armored the binos, updated the diopter adjustment, replaced the eyecups, attached strap loops, cleaned the unit and sent them back no charge within 3 weeks. This level of service is why I did not hesitate to buy the 12x50EL (which are amazing!)

I also have a pair of 10x42 DCP WP Pentax that are very nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
azrugerdude,

Based on exit pupil they should be the same. Can you compare them side by side as the sunsets and tell us if one lasts longer?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

E, your same old, Swaro bash seems to continue, I thought
that changed along with your new forum name, not sure what
is going on with that.

Leica has had trouble with waterproofing, and the Allbinos
binocular endurance test found they often leak. They performed
worst among any binoculars they tested. This included both the
Ultravid and Geovid, and the results were disappointing.
That test was from 4-30-13, so go take a look.

If you want to bash Swaro. your story has grown old.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Swaro. not having great customer service?

Step away from the crack pipe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep Swaro has the best cs in the business bar none weather you bought them new or used best value binos might be the meopta or minox hg and a little lower but 1/2 price pentax sp or the new ed are great

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In terms of value/$, the Zen Ray ED3 are a good option. If you have any issues at all, they will replace them. The bird watching forums speak highly of them.

A friend of mine raved on his ED2s and once I compared them to my Viper HDs, I had to agree. It was a little disappointing, so I sent the VHDs to Vortex and received a new pair that's still sitting in the box. I also bought a new pair of ED3s at the same time laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
In terms of value/$, the Zen Ray ED3 are a good option. If you have any issues at all, they will replace them. The bird watching forums speak highly of them.

A friend of mine raved on his ED2s and once I compared them to my Viper HDs, I had to agree. It was a little disappointing, so I sent the VHDs to Vortex and received a new pair that's still sitting in the box. I also bought a new pair of ED3s at the same time laugh

This...

Dan

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

As you would say E, please show the research and testing results from Leica!!!!

Your continually full of BS and are clueless on anything you don't own. I'm sure glad I don't have to bash all other products that I don't own just to justify my purchases!!!

Kinda like you not being able to carry concealed for 40 years but come on here and explain how everybody should do it!!!!

Get a life and a clue!!!

P.S. I have my own personal first hand experience, still in limbo that Leica's CS is terrible!!!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I looked through some of the Leupold offerings, the Zeiss terra and the Conquest a couple of days ago. I used a set of Leupold Wind Rivers or something when they first came out and they where 200 bucks. Porro Prism 8x42 IIRC and they weren't bad for the price. I got good depth perception with them. The new Terra line I couldn't get to focus. They where terrible. The newer Leupolds weren't a ton better but the Conquest or Conquest HD or whatever they are calling them looked good. Maybe just a few bad pairs but I expected the quality to get better with time not worse. The Zeiss Conquest where 1K dollars. I wish I had my Step Fathers Swaros I used to use here to compare.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bird forums are your friend for in depth evaluations.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/23/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Good call Bigwhoop. I haven't given that resource much thought.

I have a Wind River 8x42, bought when they first came out. At the time, I thought it was pretty good glass but I knew nothing of optics and bought them because it said Leupold on it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
OSU,
A long time ago a good friend of mine who hunts more than anyone I know told me to get the best optics I could afford. He recommended and used Leica products (and still does). I purchased a pair of 10x42 Ultravids and have had one warranty issue that was handled properly.
I have friends and fellow hunters who own Swarovski and Zeiss, Pentax and Nikon. All are good glass. I like the 10x42 Ultravids awfully well. They have never given me a minutes trouble and the optical clarity is as good as anything out there.
They are rugged and have been banged around climbing into tree stands, bumped around on the UTV, and bounced around in the pickup. The warranty issue was a fisheye crack in the ocular on one barrel that I must have put there on one of the many climbs into a stand.
Leica replaced it N/C.
If you buy a pair see if you can get a lifetime "Passport" warranty. They offered it when I purchased mine. You buy a pair and you will not regret it. Amortized over 25-30 years that you own them and they are not very expensive to own.

Dave

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

This is true to some point, but looking at tweety birds in a tree and looking at big game on the ground present different challenges for optics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own 10x42 and 10x56 Swarovski's and have for over 15 years. If I bought new I would not hesitate to buy another pair of Swarovski's. I will say I am very impressed with the Kahles line Only thing I have to compare them to is the Swarovski's and they stand up very well in all respects.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

This is true to some point, but looking at tweety birds in a tree and looking at big game on the ground present different challenges for optics.

Other then binocular build quality what different challenges are there?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,269
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.