Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Wife and I went to play darts at a place along the river. About a 1/2 hour later the bartender said a women needed help. I ran down to the river, and as I was headed out I told the wife to call 911.

Sure enough, there was a woman swimming in the river near a red buoy, but she was having a hard time going against the current. I told her to go with the current at an angle and I got her to the shore. She was with another person, a guy of the age of 42, he was no where to be seen.

The rescue showed a few minutes later but as of 2 hours in the guy hadn't been found. He is gone.

The woman was obviously 'self medicated' and apparently the two decided to take a swim.

Spent the next 1/2 hour talking with the Sheriff's dept and Fire Rescue.

Godspeed.

Can you post up a link from the local news about how you saved her, you getting her to shore and all?
All this time I figured you for a guy that wouldn't even get his shoes wet in a situation like that, and you got her in.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Good job Scott......you never really leave your old life behind do ya....... wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good job Scott. First for getting involved in a serious situation not directly related to your and second for knowing what to do and how to do it well.

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Well they found his body this morning. He drowned a little after 3pm on Wednesday. Godspeed

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a shame. Prayers for his family.

Kudos to you on saving the lady.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
It's not like a swam to her, but thanks. I did give my wife my wallet in case it came to that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You were willing to go in and save her, that says a lot about you. Kudos to you and the bartender for saving that womans life.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's not like a swam to her, but thanks. I did give my wife my wallet in case it came to that.

Damn smart!!

I did lifeguard training and a bit of life guarding when I was a kid. You learn real fast to never swim to rescue somebody unless there's no alternative. A lot of strong-swimmer lifeguards have been drowned by lousy swimmers.

Reach, throw, row, tow& go... In that order.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, she was making it, especially after I told her to stop fighting the current. I know she wasn't coming in as fast as she would have liked but she was coming in nonetheless.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
In the training I took to become certified I don't remember them telling us there was real danger in drowners climbing us if we knew what to do. It's scary to learn that may not be true.

Last edited by eyeball; 07/25/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Missed the part about no alternative did ya?

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yea, let them drown, but it was in '67 and any updates or pointers would be appreciated.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Excellent Scott.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If she was fighting the current then I wouldn't have had high expectations of the outcome without you there to tell her to go with the flow. Never know, but don't short yourself.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eyeball
In the training I took to become certified I don't remember them telling us there was real danger in drowners climbing us if we knew what to do. It's scary to learn that may not be true.

Looks like this issue came up in Wisconsin yesterday. Three boys, at least one of which was this woman's nephew, swam too far out into a lake and were struggling to keep their heads above water.

She swam out to help the boy and did manage to save the boy, but she drowned. One news snippet which I did not see repeated had a witness saying he kept pushing her under until finally she didn't come up.

I vividly remember being taught of that danger in Boy Scout lifesaving class. We were taught to approach from behind the victim and grab them in a way that they could not grab us - such as around the neck from behind. We were taught that if push came to shove we might have to knock the victim out to stop their struggling from drowning both of us.

Last edited by GunReader; 07/25/14.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GunReader
We were taught that if push came to shove we might have to knock the victim out to stop their struggling from drowning both of us.

For some reason, my life guard instructor thought it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard when we asked him, and he told us not to even think about trying it.

So while we got to practice on each other how to break choke holds and such, we never did practice punching each other in the head repeatedly while treading water.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Wife and I went to play darts at a place along the river. About a 1/2 hour later the bartender said a women needed help. I ran down to the river, and as I was headed out I told the wife to call 911.

Sure enough, there was a woman swimming in the river near a red buoy, but she was having a hard time going against the current. I told her to go with the current at an angle and I got her to the shore. She was with another person, a guy of the age of 42, he was no where to be seen.

The rescue showed a few minutes later but as of 2 hours in the guy hadn't been found. He is gone.

The woman was obviously 'self medicated' and apparently the two decided to take a swim.

Godspeed.

Can you post up a link from the local news about how you saved her, you getting her to shore and all?
All this time I figured you for a guy that wouldn't even get his shoes wet in a situation like that, and you got her in.

WTF? Does it matter? Take Scott at his word. Scott does not strike me as an attention whore.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't say I've ever seen anyone prove him a liar either.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

You are a brave man.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 338Rem
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

Godspeed.

WTF? Does it matter? Take Scott at his word. Scott does not strike me as an attention whore.

Dick is unable to understand the difference in helping people and not pizzing on him if he were on fire.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 44automag, 5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,386
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.