Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Needed to do some stucco repair after a hail storm and we decided to paint the entire house while we were at it as it needed it. Called a local painter and he came by and I drive him by 4 or 5 houses we liked and we made a plan for colors. When they showed up the first time the color was nowhere near what we wanted so I would t let the stucco guy apply it

I couldn't figure out a color because Sherwin Williams paint chips look nothing like when that color is applied to a wall so I pointed to a house down the street and told my painter to "color match that". Well, it's not even close and I'm pissed. I absolutely hate it and I'm $4500 in to it

Find out after the fact that the color of the stucco wasn't the same color as what he used to color match the house down the street, it was just close. The trim color he used it a joke and I brought up my concerns throughout the painting but the painter told his guys to keep going

What recourse do we have? Any good course of action here? Guy has been paid but it's nowhere near what he was asked to do and our house does not look good

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'll post pics tomorrow

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well that sucks.

We're getting quotes for inside now.

Last edited by AB2506; 07/23/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I hope you end up with a good color.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Frankly, not much at all you do.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe you have a bad eye and the house is actually gorgeous. Post up a pic.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I painted my small place last summer, the mixed paint just didnt look like what I picked out! the guy said it would , when it dried tho it looked great!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
you never really know the color until it's on the house. Good luck getting it fixed. frown

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a new roof put on last year. After weathering awhile it looks just like I'd wanted. Not so much at first.

Who knows, maybe it willl "weather" into more your liking.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife always wanted a barn red house. We live in one of these neighborhoods where all the sheep walk in a nice straight little line. So now we're the only house in the hood that isn't that ugly "off tan" color everyone seems to feel obligated to paint their house these days. Our next door neighbor actually had to balls to tell us they didn't like it and didn't believe it was ever going to "grow" on them. It's not like we painted it Barney Purple, or chartreuse or something like that-we painted it red! Thinking titty pink next time around to really get their blood pressure up!

Last edited by gophergunner; 07/24/14.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I spent quite a bit of time reviewing colors and painting swatches on our house to determine the exact colors we wanted. It paid off as our painters were directed to buy the exact paint brand and color we wanted.

I wouldn't dream of telling the painter to try and match the house down the street. Sorry it didn't go well for you, but that was a risky move in my opinion. Good luck with resolving it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

HS, I've always found it very difficult to imagine broad expanses of paint from those little chip samples..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having built many custom homes and multitudes of renovated commercial properties over the years I subbed all my finish painting to two contractors.Both knew their craft well and always ran sample panels for me and customer approval first.Saved alot of headaches for all parties concerned..also had the customer sign off on the contract that they approved the color/colors on the sample and any changes were subject to additional charges.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsonora

What recourse do we have? Any good course of action here? Guy has been paid but it's nowhere near what he was asked to do and our house does not look good

I have been a GC for 25 years. You failed to follow the Golden Rule. The one with the gold makes the rules. He is paid so you are likely screwed unless this is a large reputable company with something to lose.

Good luck.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
right after getting married we bought a little cape cod that was an ugly peach color. wife wanted yellow with white trim. i wanted a concord blue with yellow trim. she agreed and i painted it. it looked ok as it was going on but when it was all said and done, we hated it. i made it worse by putting dark gray shingles on a couple years later. lived there 7 or 8 years and never got used to it. whats the moral of this story? i don't know, listen to the wife maybe?

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
My wife always wanted a barn red house. We live in one of these neighborhoods where all the sheep walk in a nice straight little line. So now we're the only house in the hood that isn't that ugly "off tan" color everyone seems to feel obligated to paint their house these days. Our next door neighbor actually had to balls to tell us they didn't like it and didn't believe it was ever going to "grow" on them. It's not like we painted it Barney Purple, or chartreuse or something like that-we painted it red! Thinking titty pink next time around to really get their blood pressure up!

I'd have told the neighbor that when he paid the mortgage, the utilities, and the taxes, then he could determine the color of the paint. Until then, GFY.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by gophergunner

I'd have told the neighbor that when he paid the mortgage, the utilities, and the taxes, then he could determine the color of the paint. Until then, GFY.

I'd have an affair with his wife.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
huntsonora,

Did you hire a Colorado democrat?

I hate to say this but once the job is done ... it's done and the act of paying them seals the deal. If you didn't stop them before they finished there's little to nothing you can do. If you took them to court a judge might look at it as "buyer's remorse."

The best way to salvage the deal might be to get the trim repainted with a color that's right and that compliments the house color. Another option might be to add an accent color that ties everything together.

It's hard to say without seeing it though.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Was the house down the street stucco? If not, it would be impossible to have the same color appear the same on two different style surfaces.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We did the same to pick a color except we drove around with the painter and he showed us houses HE painted. We got exactly what we wanted.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.