Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
My 11 year old female black lab, Stella, may be showing signs of congestive heart failure I'm afraid. For the past couple of weeks she has been gagging at night a few times and seems to be low on energy. She also doesn't have the desire to eat her food immediately as she once did. I've noticed her groaning and grumbling when she lays down and moves.

Until last night I just attributed it to old age finally catching up, but I was reading about the gagging and many were saying it was a sign of CHF. I plan on taking her today to see the vet to get his opinion but I didn't know if any of you guys had any experience with it in your dogs. She's been a great hunting buddy through the years and is great with my 2 year old son. I don't want to se her in unnecessary pain and I'm hoping some meds can at least comfort her.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 07/24/14.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If that's what it is, I think there is treatment available.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I took her to the vet yesterday and he said she likely has the beginning stages of CHF. He could hear a murmur and said that all signs pointed to CHF. He put her on Lasix to remove fluid, Vetmedin the strengthen the heart and enalapril to help the heart pump blood easier. The vet and all the techs there said it should make a dramatic difference in how she feels and her energy level so I hope it works.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yea, had a nearly identical situation with a previous dog in his late 11's. He made it to 14. He was on Lasix and something else. Around the 13 mark his stamina dropped off drastically and the murmur got so bad you could hear it at night if the house was real quiet.

I don't think there's any real pain involved with CHF. Their circulation just goes to hell and they get tired really quick, but the poor buggers still want to go, go, go. The meds will definitely help, but her hunting days are probably numbered.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is treatment, that will work to make her comfortable. I lost my Maggie girl to DCM a couple of years ago.

She is a fine looking lady, best of luck to you both.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sucks watching your dogs get old.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Best of luck with your lab.. My Peach is 10 this year and plenty active, but I hate to see the white hair growing on her muzzle..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Another symptom of CHF is panting at rest.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Relatively young dog, coughing, low-energy, low-appetite - sounds more like worms.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds as if her mitral valve is starting to wear out.....CHF is a "collect all" term; it can be caused by a number of factors: heart attack (dead cardiac muscle), poor valve, inflammation of the heart muscle, etc. There are varying degrees of mitral regurge (the valve fails and allows blood back into the Left ventricle), and the heart has to pump harder to meet the needs of the rest of the body, the result is fatigue, listlessness, frothy cough, etc.
Sounds as if it was caught early, but I'd keep an eye on the old gal and wouldn't hunt her too hard like you might have when she was younger.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.