Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9045356 07/23/14
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Need some recommendations as I have no experience with them. Camera will be used on our property in Tennessee which is basically all old growth oak. There has been a salt lick in place for years and I know the deer hit it. Previous owner pointed me towards the tree where he placed his tree stand.
Trying to get an idea of what timen the deer are passing through and if there are any nice size bucks. For this year and next camera will only be used for 2 weeks during muzzle loading deer season.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
primos truth cam 35 ive got one going strong for 3 yrs now.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The promos truth cam 35 has worked great for me too. I have 3 of them out now smile

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Cropslx
The promos truth cam 35 has worked great for me too. I have 3 of them out now smile

Ditto

My daughters bought me an Ultra 35 and it's nice too but a lot of AA batteries.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wildgame innovations cam here
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Wildgame-Innovations-Blade-5X-5MP-Infrared-Trail-Camera/1810916.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwildgame%2Binnovations%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=wildgame+innovations&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I use mine half the year, battery life is insane, at least 6 months and thousands upon thousands of pics. about 1% come out bleached but that happens with any camera. through all weather, temps and time, I've been using mine for 3 years now and they are going strong. I use mine for wildlife studies and scouting both. and for 69 bucks, you can't go wrong.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got several out right now and seeing some nice bucks on the salt licks..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree on the original Truth Cam 35 or the 2014 Truth Cam Ultra 35 Some of the early model Ultra 35's had some problems.

These are easy to use and easy to program cameras.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We were totally happy with a Moultrie M-80X for 3 years. Lightning hit a tree 50-75 yards from the tree the camera was on. Apparently, it fried the camera. Looking at the Moultrie 880 series now to replace it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a few. two Primos 35's, a Primos 46, and now a wildgame 6x (i think).

The Primos 35's with the "D" cell batteries take pretty good pictures. They're REALLY easy to set up, but the batteries don't last long.

I'm curious about the WG, Ryan talks it up. It came with batteries and an SD card.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The new Browing cams are pretty nice and not too expensive.

I like my Bushnell Trophy Cams the best out of the 20 or so cams I have now, but they are not proving to live too long. Mine are dropping like flies after about 3 years. My 7 WGI cams are holding up well with several years of use.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a HCO SG580MB trail cam, which transmits images to my iphone via an AT&T connection. Since I use it most of the time at my farm, 55 mi. from my house, it saves a huge amount of time and travel to check on images. Fuel savings alone make it financially feasable. In the off season, it doubles as a surveillance camera, looking for activity around the house when we're not home.
Once it is set up, which is a little frustrating, it works great.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I put out two Truth Cam 35's last year. They took thousands of pics. Then when it got cold around ML season, they both quit taking pics.

I just put them out again this past Friday. The batteries said 70 percent yet so I left them in. I will see if they are working one night this week. If they are not, I will try fresh batteries. If that don't work, a call to Primo's may be in order.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Need some recommendations as I have no experience with them. Camera will be used on our property in Tennessee which is basically all old growth oak. There has been a salt lick in place for years and I know the deer hit it. Previous owner pointed me towards the tree where he placed his tree stand.
Trying to get an idea of what timen the deer are passing through and if there are any nice size bucks. For this year and next camera will only be used for 2 weeks during muzzle loading deer season.
Good reviews here www.trailcampro.com

Last edited by coobie; 07/28/14.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
i like the truth cams, and you can get refurbished ones sometimes from Natches Shooters Supply for cheap - like $50. Good cameras and seem to last a while. On 2nd year with 2 of my 3 now. Batteries last a long time as well.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by coobie
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Good reviews here www.trailcampro.com

Lots of good information on the site, thank you. A guy can go nuts trying to decide and I have to start somewhere so decided to go with the Browning Strike Force as it also earned 4.4 stars on Amazon.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the trutchcam 35's. not the 35 ultra though. Simple to set up and take good pictures. I have one that has taken probably 15K+ pics.

downside to these are they only last about 2 seasons then kaput. But for the price I think they are worth it.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Get yourself a Hunten Camera, just google it. I didnt' want anything expensive and so I bought two of these for $65.00 each from their web page. Saw a lot of reviews on them and all were positive. Very easy setup even for an idiot like me. I put these out two weeks ago and now have over 1000 pics of various game with them. I could not be happier and they have been out in some heavy rain. I would buy more for sure!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's better cams than the Hunten's but if they work for you, that's all that matters. Browning, Moultrie, Primos Truth, Covert, etc all make a decent cam depending on what you're looking for and should take some good pics. I personally think the Covert and Scoutguards take the best day pics. The new Stealth Cam G42 is one of the best cams out this year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most bowhunters that I know have lost trail cams due to the flash giving away the cameras location to thieves who come across them and see the flash.

Is there any trail cam which emits NO visible light? No tattletale LEDs?
Quiet and dark???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 3 cams out now. I take a 1 X4 or 1 X6 and a cordless screw gun and screw the board to a tree, and the camera to a board. Using torx head screws will stop the causual thief with a leatherman tool. . So far so good!

Wild game innovations cams. Not sure which model - just got them. Been out 3 weeks so far and lots of deer pics. Pleased with them, but experience is short!
YMMV

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.