Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Last August I spent several weeks with some of the CF members in Oregon, Idaho and Arizona....had such a great time I actually left my favorite Model 57 behind knowing I would be back for it...so last week I hitched the trailer to the truck and headed west.

Have made several stops a long the way but when plans to visit with one member of the S&W Forums fell through I happened to notice that I was going to be going through Kiowa, Colorado and thought I remembered one of the CF members being from there... So spur of the moment I sent a PM to huntsman22 and he called me a few minutes later to say "come to the ranch" that he manages. And what a great time it has been... Talk about people who make you feel at home...Don is just a great guy...

Don and one of the "pet" Longhorns...

[Linked Image]

Shooting my 657 Hunter...

[Linked Image]

Don is a great guy and loves company....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Longhorns are the most beautiful cattle there are IMO. Those pony Angus on the right are the money-makers though. That must be a Dan Wesson on his hip.

Frickin' thistles and cactus. It never ends.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Longhorns are the most beautiful cattle there are IMO. Those pony Angus on the right are the money-makers though. That must be a Dan Wesson on his hip.

Frickin' thistles and cactus. It never ends.

It's probably that damn performance center S&W he keeps posting pictures of and making me jealous!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don's performance center S&W is very nice.

He even let me shoot it last weekend. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EE, it's my Schmeef and Wayshun PC commander, and you're right about the thistles and cack-tie. I've declared war on both, but the fugging goatheads are my main priority.....wanna job? I can't seem to be able to keep up....

Guys, if RJM swings by your place, it'll be a real treat. Hell of a good guy with a hardcase plumb fulla nice toys to play with. When he pulled into the place, I did have my reservations about the invite, tho. He steps outta the truck with a big ol' hardcase. Why, my first thoughts were, that I invited a fricking travelling salesman to stay over....grin

[Linked Image]

After exchanging pleasantries, he eased my mind about the salesman bit, when he opened that pandora's box O' pistols. Hell, he even let me burn up some of his ammo...grin

[Linked Image]

ol' Bob's a handsome devil, to boot....
[Linked Image]

I can't recall him missing any pins...
[Linked Image]

or clays with Miss Maggie.
[Linked Image]

he did run a mag thru the commander. I think he did it just to keep me from feeling guilty about dirtying up his shooters.
[Linked Image]

nice sunrise for Bob as he had to leave for GJ today
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/rondy/IMG_3059_zps273314c4.jpg[/img]

I went up to the Colo get-together last saturday, and Bob is the second 'fire member to stop to the ranch this week. CFVA and his most lovely bride came thru earlier, on their way to Frontier Days and elk scouting. Good week of putting faces to names... Now if I could get Mackay and the rest of you thugs to visit when you drive by, I'd really enjoy it. Don

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I go near there when I visit my folks. I will be sure and stop by next time.

I don't really have anything to offer like RJM does. But I do talk a lot and I can drink beer real good.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a fine visit. I've spent very little time in the Rocky Mountain States, need to fix that in the coming years.

Those longhorns have bigger horns than the Corrientes on my deer lease... crazy grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I find the longhorns harder to lasso.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by P_Weed

I find the longhorns harder to lasso.

I remember years ago a local guy decided to rope one of those things. The horse was standing sideways, not front on. It was a mistake. The longhorn took a pull with his head and pulled the horse right over.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FtF visits are almost always good, especially with fellow 'fire members, ain't met a bad one yet.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Looks like a fine visit. I've spent very little time in the Rocky Mountain States, need to fix that in the coming years.

Those longhorns have bigger horns than the Corrientes on my deer lease... crazy grin
Longhorns ain't common.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don when we first got this place years ago, my Mom fought the danged Goatheads. They were all growed up in the lots around where the old barn and corrals were. We had several piles of them taller than pickups where Mom and the rest of us hoed them out and piled them up, then burned them. I guess she was successful as you seldom see them around here anymore. They had about took the place back in 1980 though.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sounds like a good time was had.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Longhorns ain't common.

They are fairly common in Texas; sort of a living history thing... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
these steers are just ornaments for the guests to get unique photo ops with. But I sure get attached to my critters, and these longhorns, and my turkeys, are my bestest friends, and about the only entertainment I get....grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Corrientes on my lease look like Spanish fighting bulls, but are actually pretty docile. Smart buggers. If you are driving in their pasture they will immediately run for the gate, hoping that you'll let them out. One time they were gathered at the gate. I wanted out that way so I got out and waved my arms and yelled "shoo!". They were unimpressed.

I drove to another gate, and left that way smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Longhorns ain't common.

They are fairly common in Texas; sort of a living history thing... smile
There are a lot of Longhorns up here too but that's not what I meant. "Corriente" just means common cattle in Mexican. What I was saying is that a Longhorn is not a Corriente since they're two separate breeds. I thought you'd get it but sorry for the confusion.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
one thing i need to ask rjm about is that "camo" grip on that one revolver, choke, gasp. I bought a 57 six inch a few years ago that had one of those on it. I can't find it now, it got lost.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
... "Corriente" just means common cattle in Mexican. What I was saying is that a Longhorn is not a Corriente since they're two separate breeds. I thought you'd get it but sorry for the confusion.

ah, okay, I did not know that.

They look like this:

[Linked Image]

and I was bit startled the first time I saw the bull. smile The landowner told me, when they want to move them to another pasture, he puts a block of feed on his pickup tailgate, and drives slowly. The Corrs trot after the pickup.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by huntsman22
EE, it's my Schmeef and Wayshun PC commander, and you're right about the thistles and cack-tie. I've declared war on both, but the fugging goatheads are my main priority.....wanna job? I can't seem to be able to keep up....

Guys, if RJM swings by your place, it'll be a real treat. Hell of a good guy with a hardcase plumb fulla nice toys to play with. When he pulled into the place, I did have my reservations about the invite, tho. He steps outta the truck with a big ol' hardcase. Why, my first thoughts were, that I invited a fricking travelling salesman to stay over....grin

[Linked Image]

After exchanging pleasantries, he eased my mind about the salesman bit, when he opened that pandora's box O' pistols. Hell, he even let me burn up some of his ammo...grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

he did run a mag thru the commander. I think he did it just to keep me from feeling guilty about dirtying up his shooters.
[Linked Image]

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/rondy/IMG_3059_zps273314c4.jpg[/img]

I went up to the Colo get-together last saturday, and Bob is the second 'fire member to stop to the ranch this week. CFVA and his most lovely bride came thru earlier, on their way to Frontier Days and elk scouting. Good week of putting faces to names... Now if I could get Mackay and the rest of you thugs to visit when you drive by, I'd really enjoy it. Don

Don,

I'd be more than happy and honored to accept the invite, if my travels take me that way. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good. Because if I find out you drive by without stopping, I'ma gonna be pissed. Not that THAT is any cause for worry on your part....grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don,

I'd be more than happy and honored to accept the invite, if my travels take me that way. smile
I think the camo Pachmayers came out in the early or mid-eighties. I thought they'd look great on a standard 629 and wanted to do one up that way, but I never owned a 629 until years later. I always made do with a 29 or some other 44 Mag. Never had a set of the Pachmayer camo's either.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
... "Corriente" just means common cattle in Mexican. What I was saying is that a Longhorn is not a Corriente since they're two separate breeds. I thought you'd get it but sorry for the confusion.

ah, okay, I did not know that.

They look like this:

[Linked Image]

and I was bit startled the first time I saw the bull. smile The landowner told me, when they want to move them to another pasture, he puts a block of feed on his pickup tailgate, and drives slowly. The Corrs trot after the pickup.
That's a good looking animal that would bring good money around here if he was de-horned. All they have to be is black.

IMO that old boy is a real old-timey cowman. That's what all the real cowmen want is cows that they can toll right up to wherever they want them. Wild cows lose you money. Cowboying cows runs money off the hoof.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bulls make the best hamburger IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and the most.....

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Don, it's not you they're stopping by to see, it's the Giant PD's they can put their foot on!

laugh
DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
RE: Bulls make the best hamburger IMO.
RE: And the most ...

... Bull-ony!

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Any Longhorns outside of TX are counterfeit!

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Bob,

It sounds like you are having a good time again this year. There is nothing finer than time spent on an actual working cattle ranch. Great hosts enhance the experience.

I am looking forward to hearing that you have crossed the state line.

Don,

Those are fine looking animals. And I know they are pets, so would not wish to hurry his demise.

But that bull on the left side of the photo would make one gorgeous pair of chaps, or even a great rifle scabbard.

Long ago one of our neighbors had a couch made of leather tanned with the hair on. A hide spotted like that bull would be impressive.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Idaho, there is a chair made out of polished horns and cowhide in the yurt. Not very comfortable, but it's stunning to look at.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by deflave
I go near there when I visit my folks. I will be sure and stop by next time.

I don't really have anything to offer like RJM does. But I do talk a lot and I can drink beer real good.

Travis

I'd bring guns and beer....no [bleep] stuff. laugh

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Idaho, there is a chair made out of polished horns and cowhide in the yurt. Not very comfortable, but it's stunning to look at.

That would be interesting. I am trying to imagine how one would engineer a chair from horns and am unable.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It's easy if you got the right tools and some longhorn cows ...

~ http://droverhouse.com/images/20100803_70.JPG ~

It's my milk stool. If RJM comes calling -
I'll give him a bucket & put him to some real work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'weed, That's it.... but ours has a little footstool, too.

'sept the one here, is brown hide. I'll grab a pic later. Funny thing is, it is not quality built. Just screwed together with black drywall screws, not even countersunk. The labor was cheap..

Last edited by huntsman22; 07/27/14.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
(from Weed's link) That's a conversation starter, for sure.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Bob would probably prefer that to his motorcycle seat right now. We've done a shade over 400 miles in 2 days on the enduros.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He ain't very good at updating his thread with pics, is he?....

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ok, ok...I'm here... Mac has been running me ragged...two 200 mile motorcycle "outings" that I almost didn't come back from and then fishing and John Wayne movies yesterday...

The trip since leaving Huntsman's place has been great. I spent the next night in Grand Junction visiting with a long time friend... One interesting thing occurred...he went to show me his carry gun, one of a matched set of S&W 342s....and...

[Linked Image]

....the barrel was missing.... A call to S&W in the morning resulted in a faxed prepaid mailer.... The gun is a .357 Magnum that had 30 rounds of .38 Special 158 grain RNL ammo through it...

Took I-80 west out of SLC to see the great salt lake and salt flats. Saw one guy in a what looked like a Honda Accord who had decided to do a doughnut on the flats sunk up to the frame....about 50 miles from the nearest wrecker. Made it to Mac's Friday night after 14 hours of driving...

The next morning we were out on the bikes, KLR650s, for a "short" run...that ran 225 miles and 7 hours....

[Linked Image]

This is the "most remote town" in the lower 48.... The last 15 miles is one lane dirt...and going out down hill was almost my last 15 miles ever...missed one pile of rocks by inches...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The ride across the sagebrush flats at 70 mph was aggravated by 35 mile mph crosswinds...but we made it home to an elk steak dinner...

Sunday we were out early heading for some place with the ominous name of "City of Rocks"... It was almost the last resting place of Mac as he decided to play mountain goat and the next thing I see is him running down a cliff face heading for the 15' drop at the bottom....

[Linked Image]

...and there were more people out there free climbing the peaks...

[Linked Image]

By the end of the second day of riding the fingers of my left hand no longer worked... Took two days for everything to come back...

Yesterday we went fishing along the Snake River canyon east of Twin Falls...just a beautiful place...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140728_102821_zpsbc09d7d7.jpg[/img]

Today I am playing computer catchup...

To be continued....Bob

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice.. Have a wonderful trip.. Keep safe.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob, interesting, my 657 CH is unfluted, while my standard is fluted. Both great 41s.

Enjoy and safe travels.

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
The 657 Hunter above is a first generation -2 gun. According to the gurus over on the S&W Forums some of the early guns have been seen with fluted cylinders probably because when the gun was introduced they just put some cylinders on from the normal 657s. I looked at the serial number prior to the trip and it was the 5th one built.

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How does one check S# for when built?

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sorry I have out of touch for a while...things got a little "busy" here....

65BR go over to the Smith-Wesson Forums and check the 1960-1980 and 1980-Present Boards...there are stickies there that have serial numbers dates attached to them...

Since I last wrote, Mackay and I came up to his cabin north on Mackay on Saturday. After we unpacked we went for a motorcycle ride and did some fishing. I managed to catch my first western Rainbow Trout and Mac managed to cast his pole tip down stream...

Saturday evening we started doing some long range handgun shooting...warmed up a little on a 24" gong at 75 yards than then picked a spot on the hill behind the cabin that had one small sagebrush in the middle of some sand...at a lasered 780 yards. It was pretty easy shooting with my Freedom Arms 654 .41 Mag. that has a Clements long range front sight. Fully elevated it was right on the money at 800...so it was just a matter of keeping the hold while squeezing. Mac was shooting his 4" Model 29 and had to use 1/2 the barrel to get rounds up there. I gave him the FA and he hit the bush with the second round...

Sunday was The Ride From Hell.... We were in the mountains across the street from the cabin when Mac took the wrong turn that ended in a deadend canyon... I crashed three times but fortunately neither I nor the bike was damaged.... After the last crash however the plug fowled and the bike had to be run at high RPMs or it would die. Mac is 20 yeas younger than I am and is a lot stronger...we switched bikes and he was ableto muscle it the 5 miles back to the start of uncivilization...

Just before the wrong turn...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one is for Huntsman....

[Linked Image]

Sunday evening we shot long range rifle out to 800 yards. Mac has steel up in the hills behind the cabin and it is always fun trying to judge the wind in Idaho...

Monday morning we went riding around places in the outback that I would not take my bike...but that little STOCK Nissan truck just keeps on moving...

Did some more long range shooting out to about 450 yards. This time I used the USFA Clements .44 Special that also has a long range front sight...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

At one point we found a spot that had small cave openings...and looked occupied... One had an opening about 18" wide and 3' tall... We were dropping bullets into the cave from 300 yards. No one came out..

This Mount Bora across the street from the cabin...it is the highest peak in Idaho...a pleasure to see everyday...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140804_065304_zpse7fd4aac.jpg[/img]

My battery is about to go so that is all for now...

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thanks,Bob.good to see the rust bucket is still there.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great thread, good to see y'all had a good time. I love the way the 24HCF brings good folks together to do some good stuff with guns and such.

Sorry to hear that Mac cain't cast a flyrod, though. frown

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Doc..it was a spinning rod...he got hung and as he was pulling the line back and forth trying to free it the tip loosened and I think when the line popped the second rod section took off..he tried to catch up with it but the current was too fast... That stream dries up a little ways down stream and one afternoon I am going to see if I can find it...

Mac left Monday afternoon and after a day of work is now at a three day rifle course at Thunder Ranch. Since he left I have been doing a lot of stuff around the cabin that he just doesn't have time for..having a full time job and family...

Yesterday I took a ride up to Challis that is 28 miles north. Really nice little town that is dying due to the closing down of timering, mining and most of the elk in the area being killed off by wolves...out of staters don't bother to come back after a year or two without even seeing an elk. And now if Obamasan signs off on the newest national monument the town will really be toast. There just isn't enough tourists in the area to support the economy. I spent money there instead of waiting till I go back down to Twin Falls just to help out.

From there I went north up 93 to Salmon, the long time home of Elmer Keith. Saw the small display they have for him in the county historical building. Very interesting place. All along the road there were places to camp and fish along the river...and was no one there. I also came to realize that I have more guns than all the gunshops in Challis and Salmon combined...especially handguns...didn't see a S&W or Colt one... After talking for a while in one shop I brought in my "travel case". These guys had never even held a Freedom Arms or USFA revolver...

PO a long way from anywhere...

[Linked Image]

...right where the rivers join...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The weather here where the cabin is has been great...mostly cloudy but almost no rain. This morning it was in the 50s and warmed up to about 80 but then a storm came down the valley and cooled things off to 62....and it actually rained for 15 minutes...two miles east I watched it pour going south for an hour...

This morning there was no wind so I got out the Ruger GSR with 2-7 Burris scope...set a target up at a lazered 360 yards and calibrated where I needed to hold on the Ballistic-Drop reticel. Then on to a rock that was about 18x24 at 555 yards...no problem smacking that using the #3 holdover wire..

[Linked Image]

Wrangler who drove a heard up right behind my target stand....

[Linked Image]

Storm over Mt. Bora that cooled things down this afternoon...

[Linked Image]

...a nice place to be thanks to Mac...

Bob

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I need one of those Clements sights...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you want to try mine I may be through your area in late September/early October....

They do make hitting at long range a lot easier...

Bob

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RJM
If you want to try mine I may be through your area in late September/early October....

They do make hitting at long range a lot easier...

Bob

Stop on in. Plenty of places to shoot and I got a spare room.

Travis

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Great...will send a PM when the time is closer....will work out well as I am supposed to meet up with P Weed in ND on the way home...

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob, I had a visit at the ranch from another 'fire guy the other day. Rio7 stopped by on his way to see his kid before going to the Quemado get together. He had a couple nice 6 shooters that I know you would enjoy seeing. A matched pair of stag handled .45's. They was FA's I think, and the case-coloring beat anything Colt ever put out. Another guy (Toby Joe) is coming out to shoot on Saturday...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RJM
Great...will send a PM when the time is closer....will work out well as I am supposed to meet up with P Weed in ND on the way home...

Bob

Sounds bueno.

Travis

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bob, I had a visit at the ranch from another 'fire guy the other day. Rio7 stopped by on his way to see his kid before going to the Quemado get together. He had a couple nice 6 shooters that I know you would enjoy seeing. A matched pair of stag handled .45's. They was FA's I think, and the case-coloring beat anything Colt ever put out. Another guy (Toby Joe) is coming out to shoot on Saturday...

..if blue/case then they were probably USFA not Freedom Arms that are stainless...

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, they was one or the tuther. Dat's all I know about 'em.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You ought to see that area in the early spring and late fall. Steelhead fisherpeople all over the place. Been going to Ellis for 15 years trying to catch those elusive fish. Be there next spring. Like to hunt in that area as well as unit 51 so recognize some of the pictures that Mac posts.

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
That is what I understand... One of the gunshop owners said that the trout fishing isn't that good...just "small" ones...8-15"... Those are eating size...

Bob

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Left a week ago Friday to meet Mackay down in Boise to watch is daughter ride in a Mounted Cowboy Action Shoot...this was her last competition of the season....

[Linked Image]

..the kid sure can ride...she already has 3 first place belt buckles....

[Linked Image]

We then went to visit Mackay's parents north of Boise who I met last year...great people... His father is 10 years older than me and I only wish I was in the shape he is in.

After Mackay left for home Monday I hung out with his father and we took a "ride" about thirty miles into the woods...

[Linked Image]

...to a fire tower....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...that you could see fires a LONG ways away...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140818_165919_zps4112510b.jpg[/img]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
spectacular country. I need to wander up that way sometime smile

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Wednesday I headed north on Rt 55 along the west side of Idaho and connected with Rt 95. Just north a little place called Riggins I saw a sigh that said "Hell's Canyon" and having some time took a turn on Cow Creek Road and stared driving west...should have checked the map...after 10 miles of dirt road it turned into a twotrack with a sigh that said "Passenger Cars not recommended"...oh great...and after another 13 miles at 8 mph finally came to an intersection that indicated the canyon was another 15 miles in or 23 miles out by "Crooked Road"....and that it was 23 miles of switchbacks....

[Linked Image]

Did see some mule deer...one doe with twins and one with a single...

[Linked Image]

I had been in contact earlier with JJ Hack and safariman about coming to visit. JJ was in Africa but Mark and his lovely wife made me part of the family...along with the three dogs and three cats....

We had a great time going shooting twice and to a gun show on Saturday...

Mark "adjusting" the sights on a British Enfield..

[Linked Image]

...shooting Marks (in)famous RIA 10mm..that "wounded" him while I was shooting it...

[Linked Image]

Camped two nights along Rt 12/Clearwater River and toured Missoula, Mt. quickly on the way south back to Mackay's cabin.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...and when I get back to the cabin I am greeted with snow on Mt. Bora...it was 38* this morning..

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140826_184506_zps1a5191b8.jpg[/img]

Did some long range shooting on Mackay's steel at 590-700-790 yards. Then shot some with the FA97...this was five at 30 yards... I have a hard time with
this gun... Have to really concentrate or the shots pull left... The last 5 at 25 were not worth photographing...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140827_191404_zps752c25b1.jpg[/img]

...good not to be driving for a while...Bob

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
He needs to install a post about 8-10" in diameter to lean back against and then the long range stuff would be more fun than you could stand.

Amazing the calculations the brain can do after a few long range shots to calibrate.

I miss having a spot to shoot like that.

Aim small, Hit small

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob truly was a joy and a blessing. We did a couple of fun things, but Bob also carted me around to several DR's appointments including one emergency trip when I foolishly removed my shooting glasses as he was shooting my 10mm. One of the cases took off at a different angle than the others, barely missing his ear, thusly coming straight at observer me and causing a burn and cut to my right Cornea. It healed up well, but what a painful and terrifying lesson.

Bob, I am sorry that I am not up to long dual sport MC rides or all day fishing excursions etc. I truly hope that you will get back this way when I am post Kidney Transplant. More like my real (Strong and able bodied as well as clearer thinking) self.

RE my 'adjustment' tools from the SMLE Mk lV, I swear, that is the armorour spec adjustment tool for those things! grin

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mark...you do what you can when you can.... I just enjoy the company regardless of the limitations...

From where we usually shoot the long range handguns from the porch there is a futon frame to use as a back rest. In the field I use a ground chair as was invented by CrazyCreek. It is a great and comfortable portable back rest.

This morning I wanted to start shooting before the wind came up as I had a feeling my horizontal zero was not correct. So I sent up a portable cover over Mackay's bench and put a target frame up at what lasered to be 425 yards.

[Linked Image]

Used the motorcycle to check and patch the targets.

As suspected at 425 yards I was 7" right. Gave it 6 clicks right and came up about an inch short...so with one more click it is dialed in for zero wind...

[Linked Image]

That is a 6" paper desert plate...much easier to see than the black bullseye. First group to the right was about 2.5". The one on the plate about 1.5".

I then tried the 790 yard plate and scored a first round hit...

Just a wonderful day out here on the sage brush flats...

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob, At least you were able to eat good, rest up some and get caaught up on your laundry, eh? smile

That cabin set up looks like a lot of fun. Your host invited me to come out for a visit and I am itching to go even more now. As soon as I feel up to trips like that again, that part of Idaho will be on my very short list!

My first motorcycle after being off of them for about 20 years was a KLR650. Terrific all around bikes with a high utility factor, high dependability factor and a pretty good fun factor all rolled into one.

CONGRATULATIONS on some very fine shooting. And I am enjoying the reports and photos from your adventure quite a lot. Thanks for sharing them.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Got the 5" 57 out tonight...

[Linked Image]

My only neighbor for 10 miles came over and shot also..

[Linked Image]

Bob

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Eating elk between shooting distant targets:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Bob got some action shots.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mackay...you need to eat more fresh vegetables....

Bob

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks for sharing the story and photos.. Enjoy every minute..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
Mackay...you need to eat more fresh vegetables....

Bob

Vegetables, is what food eats. grin

My ancestors did not claw their way to the top of the food chain so that I could again eat like a damned rabbit! wink

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Balanced diet Mark....balanced....

My driveway at home in NH is 380' above sea level...Mackays cabin is at 6750'..the "hill" behind the cabin is 8600' and where the sagebrush is that is our handgun target is 7200'.

Well one of us got the bright idea of putting a target up there that we could see better. Mackay has a 24" gong at 110 yards that we use for a handgun target and he proposed to move it up there... I wasn't sure it would give any better target picture than the sagebrush so in looking over the pile of scrap lumber out hack found a nice 3x3' piece of chipboard. So Sunday I humped two 5' t-posts up the hill...no small feat for me...

Monday I borrowed a post pounder from the neighbor but instead of humping it and the plywood all the way from the cabin, decided to "drive" them up instead... So I loaded them into the Ford diesel truck and started climbing... I must be sufferining from oxygen starvation as the higher I drove the flatter it seemed...except reason kept telling me that looking from the porch it was STEEP up there.. Well when I passed Mackay's 800 yard gong I knew something wasn't right so about 20 yards past the gong I stopped to unload the plywood and post pounder...and IT WAS VERY STEEP!!!

Now going up and coming down is one thing...but how does one turn around without rolling over... So very carefully I executed a nice gentle K-turn until the nose was pointed down hill and put the tranny in Low Range 1st Tow and walked the truck back down....

This is a shot of the whole draw behind the cabin...

[Linked Image]

This is a telephoto shot of the truck tracks going up. Where they end is where the 800 yard gong is and I turned left at the gong and kept going up the hill another 20 yards or so...

[Linked Image]

Yesterday was the first absolutely cloudless day since I came here on Ausgust 1st. The Mackay/Challis area have had record rains this year. Last year Mackay and I set up targets across the dry Mackay reservoir and could easily see the puffs of dirt from the bullet impact out to 550 yards....this year it is all green grass and too boggy to even walk out there. So it was a wonderful day to take a ride on the motorcycle...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scenery is just spectacular...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140901_141013_zps235e30a4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140901_141034_zps6225c070.jpg[/img]

Rode a little under 200 miles total and could not have been nicer...

Bob

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
This morning I wanted to finish the project because I needed to get the pounder back to the neighbor and Mackay is coming up on Friday...

So I grabbed some spray paint and started up to get the plywood and pounder and drag them the rest of the way up the mountain...

First stopped at the 800 yard gong and gave it some paint...

[Linked Image]

Then carried the plywood and pounder up the side of the hill to a nice open spot where the bullet impacts could be seen.

Looking down at the cabin from the hill..

[Linked Image]

Target up...

[Linked Image]

Looking over the target at the cabin...

[Linked Image]

This is what it looks like from the cabin...the rock pile is just over the target at 1:00 o'clock and the sagebrush is at 3:30...

[Linked Image]

Next time I am up there going to move the rocks behind the target frame...

Now to find something else to do for the rest of the day..

Bob

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well about 1500 went out for another motorcycle ride and did the same area Mackay and I did the first Sunday we rode...the Upper Pahsimeroi Valley... Unlike the Lower Valley there are no houses out there and 90% of the land is BLM... Just miles and miles of dirt road, two tracks and 4-wheeler paths..very easy to get "misplaced". That is the nice thing about the Kawasaki KLR650...a 6 gallon gas tank and 50+ MPG. You have to get lost for a long time before running out of fuel.

Did 137 miles almost 100 was dirt and got 52 MPG.... And just as the sun was going down I got "misplaced" but fortunately ran into two 4-wheelers that told me where the correct turn was...and they were only the second people I had seen in 3+ hours of riding...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sun going down and lots of miles left...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/019_zps1e30e52c.jpg[/img]

Top of the pass....all down hill from here...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/021_zpsd7a7e6b8.jpg[/img]

One final canyon and out...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/026_zps42200af0.jpg[/img]

...and today is another cloudless day....

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need to explore that country, some time smile Thanks for the photos.

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by LouisB
He needs to install a post about 8-10" in diameter to lean back against and then the long range stuff would be more fun than you could stand.

Amazing the calculations the brain can do after a few long range shots to calibrate.

I miss having a spot to shoot like that.

Aim small, Hit small

Did some long range handgun shooting at the 800 yard target...decided to try the log in addtion to the ground chair..works much better thanks...

[Linked Image]

Nice clear day to shoot but the wind is running 20+ from the north. The bullet takes almost 2 seconds before impact so one can self spot the dust cloud without messing up the followthrough... Most were close, like horse shoes, but I think I managed to put one out of 18 on target...

Bob

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That's friggin' awesome smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RJM,

Great pictures and write up. Thanks for taking us along!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Looks like a lot of fun.

Travis

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
[Linked Image]

I just came a little.....

Nice Five Seven.

Looks like a great time!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
RJM, WONDERFUL PHOTOS AND STORY.. SOME AWESOME COUNTRY.. Have been in the lower part of that valley, sometime before the cards run out, I must drive the entire way though.. Have a great time.. Be careful..

Molon Labe
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ya know that "nice" mountain across the highway.... Well I found out yesterday why everyone I see in the parking lot looks like an Olympic athlete...because it ain't for old people...like me... But I decided just to take a "walk" up past treeline knowing I was not going to make the top...

So about 1000 I start walking...and it is UP from the moment you step out of your car... And what makes it worse is this starts at 7000' and works up to 12600...and at home my driveway is at 380'...but I walk anyway. I've done a bunch of the White Mountains in NH but this "hike" is STRAIGHT up all the way.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
The innocent view from the trailhead...
[Linked Image]

..steep.

[Linked Image]

Getting up there...

[Linked Image]

...almost to treeline and now it really gets steep and slippery...this is important later coming down!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image]

This what you have to climb "up" to look "down"....and this is 3K' above the parking lot and the parking lot isn' all that far away horizontally....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mackay's place is right over the tip at the base of the next hills...

[Linked Image]

View of the mountain peak from where I stopped...everything further gets real "tight" and I am beat...and still have to walk back down before dark..

[Linked Image]

This part of the ridge has to be climbed on all fours....

[Linked Image]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image]

Mackay's place is just to the left of the house with the big driveway...

[Linked Image]

Another view of the scramble...after Chicken Out Ridge...Mackay has been over it...

[Linked Image]

That is my truck just to the right of the path 3K' feet below...

[Linked Image]

Mt.Dicky also across from the cabin..

[Linked Image]

Small year round ice flow part of the way down the mountain...

[Linked Image]

Took me 5 hours to get up and two to get down...but the views were worth every step...

Bob

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
and so today just to keep the exercise fresh I climbed the hill behind the cabin to see if there was any holes min the 800 yard pistol target. I could see at least one and it was there along with another....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think the second one was one of the lower powered round nose ones I fired this morning as the hole was smaller. The first one I know was a 255 LBT as I saw the hit...

It just slightly dented the t-post..

[Linked Image]

Also managed to hit the 110 yard gong 5/5 with the FA .41 and 2/2 with the USFA .22 Magnum...

[Linked Image]
..and that was the morning...

Bob

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

woo ...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What a grand time and adventure you are having! Seeing sights that few see, and doing things most men your age would get tired out from by just watching someone else do it on TV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice story, I am enjoying reading of your continued adventures.

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
It has been a fun trip... I was just starting to post the afternoon "adventure" when Mackay and his daughter pulled into the cabin...

Friday afternoon it was another cloudless 75* day and wanting some fresh meat, like a hamburger, for dinner decided to ride to Challis 28 miles away..and is the nearest town. On the way up Rt 93 there was a sigh SPAR CANYON ROAD/RT 20 20 miles..so I took the long way to the market... It was 20 miles of dirt road to Rt 20 and another 6 or so miles to Rt 75 that comes into Challis from the SW...and in all that time I saw ONE car.

Beginning of the road...

[Linked Image]

There are a lot of off-road trails to explore...

[Linked Image]

Top of Spar Canyon..all down hill from here...

[Linked Image]

Road is big enough for two TT rigs to pass in most places...

[Linked Image]

..and ends at RT.20 and the Salmon River...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

4-wheeler road to the top of the world..

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140905_154908_zps00118fb6.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140905_160100_zpsb7cc9200.jpg[/img]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

Saw this sigh and figuring my time here is getting short better take a look...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

..and so I rode 55 miles to get a hamburger instead of 28 but was worth the fuel and time...the KLR gets 60+ on pavement and over 50 dirt..with a 6 gallon tank it is hard to run out of fuel..

Bob

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
..and so we started Saturday morning with a two mile walk to see the horses before dawn...

[Linked Image]

The neighbor later told me that at the same time there were 75 elk across the highway feeding just out of sight from where I was....

Once it warmed up a little..iot was the first freeze at 30*...we went fishing..didn't catch anything but didd see one small mule deer buck and a doe with a fawn...

[Linked Image]

Then for some shooting..Mackay with a Tikka with 10X US Optics on board..his first group was a cloverleaf at 100 yards...

[Linked Image]

Then it was Kimbers turn to break some water filled jugs practicing for her upcoming mule deer hunt...

[Linked Image]

Mackay shooting at the 800 yard target with a Glock 21...and yes he did hit it...

[Linked Image]

Dark spot in the upper right corner of the pic near the cloud is the brass...

[Linked Image]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
So after firing a bunch of rounds it was time to check the target. This time we went straight up the hill instead of going to the 800 yard gong and sidehilling it across... Gotta say it is getting easier...Kimber carried the backpack and she ran up the last 50 yards...

[Linked Image]

New holes in the target...four. I put one new hole in Friday while cooking the hamburger that In could see when I made it..wind was blowing and hit the target once out of 9 rounds.

When Ted fired the Glock we saw a puff of dust come up behind the target...he had enlarged my hole. After he shot I fired five rounds from the Freedom Arms and hit the target 2/5... The two holes in the center and one large hole below them are the new ones. The one in the upper left I did the first session..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mackay with Kimber and beloved Glock...

[Linked Image]

..back of target.

[Linked Image]

One of my bullets from Friday that hit right in front of the target and threw dirt on the target...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140906_171617_zpsff6fed00.jpg[/img]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Kimber loves to look in the bullet strikes trying to find expended bullets...

[Linked Image]

and she came up with one of mine...a 255 grain Cast Performance LBT WFN-GC...

[Linked Image]

255 LBT on right and home cast 245 RN left...I think the RN is the one that went through the right side of the target and hit the t-post as I found it on the ground 3' right of the t-post.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sunset..moon rise over Mt. Bora.....

[Linked Image]

and a campfire with marshmallows...not a better way to end a day...

[Linked Image]

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was right in your area yesterday afternoon. Went on a road trip from Boise to Salmon to Missoula Friday, then Missoula down 93 to Idaho Falls yesterday.

[Linked Image]

Closer look at Mt. Borah. In fact, if you look close, I think that's you there next to that 2nd tree from the top, bent over and huffing and puffing... wink

I tried to get someone to climb that mountain with me about six years ago and got a firm promise but then she backed out. Not sure I could make it at this age any more and wouldn't want to try it alone.

[Linked Image]

I've seen a lot of nice places in the West, the part between Stanley and Salmon is Tall, Steep and Rugged, and the area up in Western Montana around Missoula to Butte and Helena is about as pretty as any place I've seen, but that Lost River Range just exemplifies majestic grandeur if ever I've seen it. Jagged rocky peaks above timberline that go on for miles and miles. IMO they make the Sawtooths look second rate.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Jim...when you stopped to take the picture of Mt Bora there was a house right in front of you on the right...that is where we were talking to the neighbor when you took the picture...

Bob

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Friends,

First I must say that Bob got some great shots. He is as quick with a camera as he is accurate with his beloved .41s.

Great story telling posts too. Kimber and I had a great but all too short weekend. She was a seriously happy camper blowing up expired cans of corn with my old Colt M4.

With the stock totally collapsed so it fits her, and no recoil to speak of, it should make a good little deer gun, though not traditional by any means. That being said, watching her shoot over her hunting pack and nail water bottles, I think she should do ok with the little carbine if the right opportunity presents itself.

A great weekend and Bob is really getting in shape trucking up and down the local hills around the cabin.

Cheers!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bob and Mackay--

some mighty fine medicine there in those narratives and pics!

potent magic...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love the area but usually just pass through to go steelhead fishing and sometimes use to fish at Mackay res with my old buddy before he passed. Need to pack my 4wheeler over there and go for a ride. Been debating trying Mt Borah (my high school was named after) before I get too old. My hunting grounds are in the Little Lost valley and I am heading there next weekend.

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well this is my last day at Mackay's cabin...have been here since August 1st and it is time to head out...

It was a full moon the other night and was cloudy but was able to get one ok photo...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Food has been great half pound elk burger with noodles and salad...

[Linked Image]

This morning I hiked the hill up to the 800 yard pistol target before sunrise to check to see if any of the 10 .41 Special slugs hit the target...there was one new divot in the dirt a foot in front of the target but no new .41 holes. I had also taken 6 or 7 shots with a M4 .223 sitting with a sling that Mackay spotted for and there were 3 .223 holes out the back of the OSB...

Before sunrise...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was 45* and the wind was 25+ mph...I hunkered down to wait for sunrise and had a buck antelope pass 50 yards in front of me. Had the phone in my pocket and couldn't get it out to take a picture before he spotted me and trotted around the hill.

Sunrise at the top of the hill...

[Linked Image]

Time to pack up and move on...next stop...shooting with Idaho Shooter....

Bob

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Hi Bob,

The e-mail does not want to transmit tonight.

Looking forward to your arrival tomorrow.

Still got my phone #?

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Had a nice visit with Mackay and his family yesterday and this afternoon headed for Idaho Shooters house north of Boise...

Took the long way around from Rt 30 through Bulh to I-84 and then up to Mountain Home and south to Rt 78 through the back country....

Snake River Valley south of Boise...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Snake River dammed up into a lake....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lots of open space to off-road and shoot...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/022_zpscc32a87e.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/025_zps4bc1d02d.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/028_zps1fb73895.jpg[/img]

Back across the Snake River just south of Nampa...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/031_zps0c5bd56b.jpg[/img]

Beautiful country...tomorrow we go do some pistol and rifle shooting...

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once again, what an awesome trip and adventure!

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
...and it always a bigger adventure when one drives with Dave (Idaho Shooter) anywhere there is dirt...and that is most of Idaho....

...just getting to the shooting spot is an off-road adventure...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Once everything was unloaded and the target frame set up there was not a piece of flat ground to even sit on...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

..everything is at a tilt...

[Linked Image]

.41 Mountain Gun...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/011_zps41f1a05a.jpg[/img]

.41 Special...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/015_zps7fa69427.jpg[/img]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Then we moved the 4-wheeler and trucks up to the rim for 200 yard shooting...moving the 4-wheeler up the shortcut was "interesting"....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shooting the FA97 at some targets at 300 yards...

[Linked Image]

Dave checking his 7mm STW...

[Linked Image]

Some 500 yard target work...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

..and a neat house being built nearby out of grain silos....

Another great day with a great friend...and then some good Chinese food in Oregon for dinner...

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That country you are in with Idaho Shooter looks JUST LIKE where I deer hunt here. Wonderful country to my mind and eye, though certtainly not for everyone's taste.

So, Dave shoots a 7mmSTW.... perfect for out in that country and my 7mm Mashburn Super is very similar in case capacity and ballistics with a slight edge going to Dave's 7STW.

Do you know what bullet he likes in that fire belching deerslayer? I am going to try 140gr TTSX's, 140 Accubonds, 139gr GMX's and 120gr TTSX's in my blaster.

These new 4 wheelers/quads will take a man and rifle and gear up some nasty inclines, for sure! Looks like another stop with loads of fun!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The popo don't play fair up there. Went through there on my wing a few years ago, unlike arizona, they use different vehicles and combinations. Every time i saw a car, i slowed down. Wasn't a problem as i didn't see a lot of cars. Lot of wide open country, i kept thinking what it was like in december with the wind blowing you sideways in a blizzard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll take a WAG and say that's a stretch of ground between 95 and Sand Hollow from west to east, and south of I-84. In fact from that first pic I'd guess you aren't too far off 95 along Pearl Road.

That was my old stomping grounds for the 13 years I lived in Fruitland. Nice ground squirrel hunting there in the spring if you don't mind the bullets whizzing overhead from the guys cruising the roads and firing wildly with AK's, AR's and hi-cap mags in their 10/22's. shocked wink

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Jim,

We are actually just East of the Gem County/Payette County line and South of the main Black Canyon Canal. Right near the old Gem County Dump site.

Ron,

You message was delivered, concerning the 41 addiction. Bob says that if you would quit buying those trash calibers, you would have plenty of money to feed said addiction.

Mark,

I am presently loading/shooting 160 gr AB over 84 gr of H1000. MV is 3200 fps. My last two bulls were killed with the same powder charge pushing the 162 Hornady btsp.

If I am pursuing mulies, I will leave the shoulder killer Ruger #1 at home and take either the 10 pound plus 27 inch Win 264 with 130 AB at 3300 fps. Or if I actually have to carry it anywhere, the 24 inch Rem 700 in 6-284 with the 95 gr BT at 3300.

I am kind of seeing a theme her with MV. grin

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RJM
...and it always a bigger adventure when one drives with Dave (Idaho Shooter) anywhere there is dirt...and that is most of Idaho....

...just getting to the shooting spot is an off-road adventure...

I think Bob's words were, "You people in Idaho are fricken crazy"

I told him that if we did not drive through stuff like this, we simply couldn't get anywhere. Anywhere worth getting to anyway.

At least it is dry and solid now, it gets interesting in late Feb through March.

I managed to not embarrass myself with my 657 and Ruger SBH in 41 at the 300 yd mark. I could have made some peripheral hits on a silhouette target. (we were just choosing badger mounds, ant hills, and the like as targets.)

But at 500 yds, I could not even be sure I was striking the hillside. That is a whole nother ball game.

I will say, I would not want Bob shooting at me with any of his revolvers, even at 500 yds.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Glad to see Bob is making maximum use of his time enjoying the scenery and opportunities. Had a fun time. He never even screamed once when driving down some hills on the lost river range. He is quickly acclimating.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I don't know if Bob screamed or not, he was following in his own truck.

He mentioned an adventure with the ATV. I managed to drop the right front and left rear tires into a couple badger holes at the same time on a rather steep slope. I found it prudent to climb over onto the uphill side of the quad as I backed it back down the hill, and found another line to the top.

Told Bob, I was glad he had not grabbed the video camera.

He said, he could not even watch. He turned the other way as soon as I got hung up. He was prepared to call rescue though, had the quad rolled over on me.

LOL

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
....I just had to hook up with a cowboy who landed on his head one too many times riding bronks, another who just insisted on riding perfectly good hamburgers and the last who loved to ride motorcycles and and old pickups up and down cliff faces....

But better more reliable friends there are not....

Bob

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Awesome pictures and stories!

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
[quote=RJM]
The trip since leaving Huntsman's place has been great. I spent the next night in Grand Junction visiting with a long time friend... One interesting thing occurred...he went to show me his carry gun, one of a matched set of S&W 342s....and...

[Linked Image]

....the barrel was missing.... A call to S&W in the morning resulted in a faxed prepaid mailer.... The gun is a .357 Magnum that had 30 rounds of .38 Special 158 grain RNL ammo through it...

As an update...spoke with my friend last week and S&W fixed the gun and had it back to him in a couple of seeks. He didn't as them why or how it may have occurred and wasn't sure if they could tell him anyway....

Bob

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
try a crush fit barrel for starters.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Jim,

We are actually just East of the Gem County/Payette County line and South of the main Black Canyon Canal. Right near the old Gem County Dump site.

Ron,

You message was delivered, concerning the 41 addiction. Bob says that if you would quit buying those trash calibers, you would have plenty of money to feed said addiction.

Mark,

I am presently loading/shooting 160 gr AB over 84 gr of H1000. MV is 3200 fps. My last two bulls were killed with the same powder charge pushing the 162 Hornady btsp.

If I am pursuing mulies, I will leave the shoulder killer Ruger #1 at home and take either the 10 pound plus 27 inch Win 264 with 130 AB at 3300 fps. Or if I actually have to carry it anywhere, the 24 inch Rem 700 in 6-284 with the 95 gr BT at 3300.

I am kind of seeing a theme her with MV. grin

I was actuallly looking at a 57 marked "mountain gun" blued, today. Ugh, it had those thin wood grips on it, poo. Mine is much prettier that the enabler convinced me to buy a couple of years ago.
I admit there are a lot of "trash" calibers. I love them all.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I might add for bob's benefit, my favorite grandson's wife is about ready to pop a new boy into the family any day. As is usual name selection is afoot. Father and me both think Ragnar, is a good first name. If so, one of bob's tomahawk's will be on the way. Father already has one, but ragnar should grow up with one too.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Knowing that grips are easy to change. It is lucky for me that Mountain Gun is in your AO rather than mine.

A 4 inch Mountain Gun is on my very short list, but my toy budget is already committed for the rest of this year. (and probably part of next)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Great thread.
There are some very nice people on here, good for all of us.

Take care

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Knowing that grips are easy to change. It is lucky for me that Mountain Gun is in your AO rather than mine.

A 4 inch Mountain Gun is on my very short list, but my toy budget is already committed for the rest of this year. (and probably part of next)

i took mine out of the safe last night to look at it again. it is the "stainless?" version. a little different than the regular 57 with the tapered barrel etc. I was googlefoing about it and read where it was not a good target gun because of the tapered barrel. Couldn't prove it to me, it shoots good. It has a smooth trigger, and smaller hammer spur where i kind of prefer the target hammer and trigger. Has a pinned in black front sight and i was gogglefoing looking for replacement options. I have to say it locks up like a swiss watch. I paid at the top end, at the time, for it at the pawn shop it was at, but in hindsight looking at prices last night my price is kind of at the bottom of the current range. Not that i would sell it anyway. With the hogue grips and tapered barrel it does have a different feel to it. I have to get out and fire some .41, to get some brass casings back, they are all currently stuffed, so i can put together some loads with a few bullets bob sent me. I think mine was built in 2003 as it is a 4. Just before they started adding the lock, but not pinned, and a crush fit barrel. Cylinder is not recessed either. I don't think it makes any difference. one of the reasons i pulled it out as it has a crush fit barrel is to see if it had a bubble ring on it as it is described due to the tightening and a "hump". It didn't
i might add there is no feel of metal in either single or double action, which is that typical smith action, or the way it should be.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/16/14.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I shot a cylinder through Bob's MG. Then I watched him shoot it at forty yards, and at ten times that range. If that's not a target gun, I don't know what is.

I thought the 657 I purchased last fall had a pretty decent trigger (and it really is not bad). Then Bob handed me some of his revolvers. My 657 had to step to the back of the class and hang its head in shame.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have come to the conclusion my gun pi*p is really the reincarnation of Johnny appleseed, as he travels the country infecting people with the virus of a .41.
Course i already had it before meeting him, but he sure did make the virus much more intense.
That even includes buying a taurus.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I did not even have to meet him in person. He sold me on the idea of a 41 as my first handgun nine years ago from 3000 miles away.

Well, in all fairness, I was considering a 41 when I started the thread.

I found one!!!!

Well actually four, Davidson's, NIB, SS, Ruger Bisley Hunter Super Blackhawk 41 mag. Thanks to RJM and a local dealer who helped me find them through gunbroker.

I am a happy camper.

Wow, looking up that thread reminds me how 41 Kieth is missed on these forums. May he RIP.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/595517/1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wow, looking up that thread reminds me how 41 Keith is missed on these forums. May he RIP.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/595517/1

Wow, I was also looking up 41 Keith's posts late last night - but I missed that one. I really became better acquainted with 41 Keith through a mutual friend. The three of us then hunted together for several years - and we became close friends.

I was thinking about 41 Keith whilst anticipating RJM's coming through North Dakota here to visit - If 'Curt' was still with us it would be perfect ... but in a way, he still is!

It was 41 Keith who told me about the Campfire - and RJM - and the 41 Magnum! Because of Curt's interest in this venerable caliber,
I acquired two Marlin 1894 SS LTD, 41 MAG, Lever Action Carbines. One was going to be his through a trade or purchase ...
But anyway we shot his! And mine is still unfired. smile

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I have come to the conclusion my gun pi*p is really the reincarnation of Johnny appleseed, as he travels the country infecting people with the virus of a .41.
Course i already had it before meeting him, but he sure did make the virus much more intense.
That even includes buying a taurus.

One thing is for sure. Besides trying to convert headhunters to the .41, he's getting some serious miles in on his KLR enduro. High desert, mountain lakes, dodging cattle and deer, he's getting pretty gnarly.

If only he would convert to the .44 Magnum....

Oh well.

The kids dig him.

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Kids!!! What kids....I don't do kids...most of the time that is...

[Linked Image]

If Mackay would stop having them there would be fewer who "dig me"...

As to converting to .44...Mackay is the one who needs to convert to the .41 as it recoils less than his .44s....and much more accurate....

I also miss Mr. Keith very much...it was a sad day when PW told me of his passing... I had exchanged PMs with him several times and was hoping to one day meet him...

Bob

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Hey, that's a cute little tyke.

Another future gun toting, horse riding, motocrosser there??????

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Went out in the boonies just north of Jackpot, NV where Mackay usually sees a bunch of bunnies... Saw several cottontails but only one Jack...and after Mackay took a shot at him he didn't stick around....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mackay is down there somewhere...the sagebrush was old and chest+ high in a lot of spots...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Weather was kinda strange...overcast and some rain but the ground haze looked more like smoke...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Smoke was bad here yesterday. California I'm guessin'.

Travis

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
This morning went over to Buhl to say goodbye to an old friend who I won't get to see again before I leave for home Monday...he likes to do metal sculptures....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Found some premium no ethanol gas and when I filled up after a 75 mile trip recorded my highest mpg ever...65. And when I deliberately lugged the engine it didn't buck like it does with the corn gas....

SE of Buhl...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...a great day so far...

Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Found some premium no ethanol gas and when I filled up after a 75 mile trip recorded my highest mpg ever...65. And when I deliberately lugged the engine it didn't buck like it does with the corn gas...."

And they say ethanol is good for the environment wink Bob there is a phone app named Real Gas that will tell you where you can buy it. There are more places than one realizes.

Great thread. Thanks!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Great country around the Magic Valley. And far less affected by rampant population growth since the sixties than is our area or any place within seventy five miles of Boise.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My previous post was not supposed to read " headhunters". It was supposed to read handgunners. Dang autocorrect strikes again.

Bob and I did just shy of 300 miles through the mountains of central Idaho yesterday. Checked out some salmon spawning in their beds, some big antelope, even saw a little hottie in a bikini at a hot springs towards the end of the dirt portion as we neared Ketchum. Over all a great ride.

We've put roughly 1,000 miles on the bikes seeing the local mountain and desert scenery since Bob arrived.

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
As Mackay said, we had one great last ride through the wilds of Idaho on Saturday....

Started in Twin Falls and rode up through Gooding, Fairfield, Hill City and into the Anderson Reservoir area....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lunch stop...

[Linked Image]

Lots of miles of dirt roads...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140920_125404_zps42c39fd4.jpg[/img]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image]

Downtown Ketchum...

[Linked Image]

We had planned to do some more shooting Sunday but it poured rain all day...and so on Monday my time in Idaho came to a close and I moved on...

From Twin Falls I headed east and south to Bear Lake....real pretty place...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But like around any body of water there are LOTS of homes...and now mansions dot the hills above the lake...

Went through Utah and into Wyoming going north toward Yellowstone...going to stop In Freedom at Freedom Arms as the last time I was through in 2003 I was too late and then factory had closed...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/028_zps6eeb1847.jpg[/img]

Up on top of Salt River Pass...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/034_zps7fdce302.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/039_zps4396d178.jpg[/img]

This morning at the rest stop...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140923_071204_zpsb68f686f.jpg[/img]

...and so we move on.

Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I waved as you passed by, good story and photos!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Anderson Ranch Reservoir

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

One of the old original buildings from Pine Idaho, across the street from where we ate burgers for lunch.

[Linked Image]

Great day for a long ride in the mountains.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bob now you are getting into my home turf..Kemerrer is a great place. Very good Chinese restaurant downtown.

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
eh..didn't go into Kemerrer as I stayed on 89/30 all the way to Teton NP...

I stopped at Freedom Arms but didn't get tom see Mr. Baker as he was not in. Bought a couple of FO front sight blades for my guns as I've found them better for dim light shooting as often happens when hunting..

[Linked Image]

Building doesn't look like much but they put out a great handgun..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice lady that I spoke with said they are now 14 months backed upped..that is up from 9 months in 2012...

Just some beautiful country in western Wyoming..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Snake River...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/008_zps3b4ddac9.jpg[/img]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Found a nice dirt road through theb woods and this is what was at the end...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sunset from the campground...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140923_185218_zps79ea397d.jpg[/img]

More riding today...

Bob

J
J
Those are beautiful photos. Jeff

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks..and welcome to the Fire....

Yesterday I had planned on going to the northern end of the park but one of the main roads north was closed so decided to take a shorter ride east, get some lunch in the small town outside the east entrance and ride back the same way...

Ended crossing the Continental Devide twice and seeing a lot of beautiful scenery...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I started out with 875 miles on the bike when Mackay and I took our first ride in late July..turned 3K on this trip...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yellowstone Lake is HUGE...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/020_zpsc5e10ec8.jpg[/img]

..an unconcerned buffalo bull. I think you could have petted him and he could have cared..

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/023_zpsd5b330b5.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/022_zps45758b01.jpg[/img]

Leftovers from the Yellowstone fire..

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/027_zps1863e99b.jpg[/img]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well when I got to Wapti the place was mostly closed up for the season..so on to Cote I rode.. Found the same EXCELLENT BBQ place and had a great meal. It was then about 1500.

[Linked Image]

After eating I gassing up..60 mpg again...and headed back the way I had come. But ended up going back to the gas station and asking about the road to the NE entrance to the park... The woman I spoke with said that The Chief Josheph Senic Byway was the most fantastic around so gassed up and full of BBQ I started north...then LONG way home...but worth every minute in the saddle...

Pulling on to the CJ...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All switchbacks up into the mountains....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

See forever...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/050_zps81a55bbb.jpg[/img]

Very large chipmunks...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/057_zpsa88b2486.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/058_zps2daaa1c8.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/059_zpsfcc33e00.jpg[/img]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image]

Lots more twisties to the bottom...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Outside the NE entrance to Yellowstone...

[Linked Image]

Sun is going down and I had to turn around to take these pics...

[Linked Image]

The sun was horrible. Half the time I had to use my left hand to block the sun out to see. Came around one corner where a lot of cars were stopped and almost ended up the butt of a cow bison...I am sure the whole crowd heard my expletives as I just made the swerve around her..

More buffalo down the road...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/071_zps3b96ea20.jpg[/img]

Sun going down and I am still 100 miles from the campground...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/074_zps4c5e333c.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/075_zps97ee0c7a.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/076_zpsba81c815.jpg[/img]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
An elk way down in a draw...

[Linked Image]

That was the last pic of the day... Road the whole length to Yellowstone Lake in the dark. There was very little traffic. I was very fortunate to get behind a car and we made great time without hitting any game... Saw two mule deer and that was it...

About 11 hours in the saddle and 436 miles covered...

Time to pack up and head toward Montana...

Bob

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RJM
Well when I got to Wapti the place was mostly closed up for the season..so on to Cote I rode.. Found the same EXCELLENT BBQ place and had a great meal. It was then about 1500.

[Linked Image]

With all due respect RJM, if you went to Cody without visiting the Buffalo Bill Historical Center you can be charged with criminal negligence!! :-) As a gun-guy, it is THE destination whether you're an aficionado of Smith 41 mags or early Winchesters and Colts---you can spend a couple of days JUST in the gun wing of the museum and leave with sensory overload. Also, if you came out the east gate of the park and went to Bubba's, you drove right pass Wyoming Armory (it's west, just past the Rodeo-grounds). Keith Kilby is building custom rifles there that worth stopping to see---he's also building a Winchester High Wall that is parts-interchangable with the originals and he's getting spectacular accuracy from them. Also the Linebaugh's are in Cody--since you're a magnum revolver guy, you'd like seeing them (although I think that John actually lives over in Powell).
A couple of months ago, I walked into the bar at the Irma Hotel and Jim Zumbo was being interviewed for a TV show. It's a shooter/gun-guy/hunters mecca of sorts.

Seriously, for a gun-guy to visit Northwestern Wyoming and not go to the museum would be like a veteran going to Washington DC and not visiting Arlington Cemetery.

JMO, YMMV.

FWIW, I'm jealous---you trip sounds great.

Last edited by gmoats; 09/25/14.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could also see doing a trip like that in a convertible sports car. smile

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have been to the Cote Center twice. As explained above I did not expect to even get to Cote so I did not have the time to visit. The way it was I was driving in the dark for two hours and it was in the 40s...toes were cold till later this morning.

I did see the shop but it appeared closed.

Bob

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RJM
I have been to the Cote Center twice...

blush sorry----I'd have hated to think that you came that close and had never seen it.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not a problem....

Had a nice drive through central and northern Yellowstone yesterday...saw these big horn ewes....

[Linked Image]

..and later these rams...

[Linked Image]

Buffalo close enough to pet....

[Linked Image]

...and this bunch that I almost hit Wednesday...

[Linked Image]

...when they were standing on this curve...

[Linked Image]

Went through Mammoth Hot Springs where elk feed in the yards...
[Linked Image]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/097_zps6b6322d0.jpg[/img]

....and out the north exit to the Park....

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/105_zps31904b1d.jpg[/img]

...and across Montana I do go...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/127_zpscba7d80b.jpg[/img]

Bob

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sweet pics Bob.

I'll leave the light on for ya'.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Indeed. Thanks for sharing the pics with us. Beautiful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a picture taken from just about this exact same spot, except it was taken in 1975.

Funny, those mountains haven't changed much in the last 39 years. wink

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bob you definitely saw the most beautiful part of our state. Thanks for the pics. It has been a while since I have been over there.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Bob will be here soon. I hope he likes midgets and vodka.

Travis

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great photos and story.. Just got caught up.. Drive safe..

Molon Labe
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well I arrived at Travis'...

First thing we did was go rifle shooting and then out to dinner.

Tomorrow is coyote hunting and then pistol shooting.

Travis is in lust with the Freedom Arms and will end up one in .44 Magnum...

Bob

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
do your duty, bob, as johnny apple41magnum, and let him see the light.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Well I arrived at Travis'...

First thing we did was go rifle shooting and then out to dinner.

Tomorrow is coyote hunting and then pistol shooting.

Travis is in lust with the Freedom Arms and will end up one in .44 Magnum...

Bob

Sounds like a great trip! In for the update on the yote hunt.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have faith that Bob's charisma remains as strong as ever.

Travis will be buying a 41 within a couple months, and then another, and another.

Good luck on the yodel dogs! The only thing better than a dead coyote............is a dead wooof.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Update:

Fugg them 41's. But I see a Freedom Arms in my future...

Stag arms shoot slow bullets. They can't hit things on the run.

I'm thinking prairie dogs tomorrow. They don't run. Typically...

Travis

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Bob's FA is pretty danged nice. But I was REALLY impressed with the USFA he had rebuilt to 41. The action felt like a fine Swiss watch.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Those FA's are incredible.

Bob can shoot....

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I kinda liked his 57..... And there is one on the classifieds right now, but I'm broke on my azz....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That stainless job with the camo grips is quite the hammer as well.

But those FA's are nothing short of perfection. An 83 in 44 mag and a 97 in 44 Special. These are my goals...

Travis

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Travis,

The M97 .44 special is one of my favorites. You need to treat yourself to one.

Crappy picture. Tried to "fix it" with photo bucket, but to no avail.

FA83 6" .475 Linebaugh (gun on Left). FA97 5 1/2" .44 Special (gun on right).

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A little better picture of the M97 .44 special (top) shown with a 3 1/2" round butt .45 Colt/.45 ACP M97.

[Linked Image]

The .44 special is one of the most accurate guns I own. This is pretty typical -- even with me behind the gun.

[Linked Image]

Paul

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image]

On Friday afternoon we headed for the range ten minutes after we met....

[Linked Image]

Talk about a great place to shoot...they have steel all the way out to 1000 yards...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rifle range out to 300...

[Linked Image]

Travis sighting in his .308...

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/039_zpsae99e767.jpg[/img]

Painting steel....

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/041_zps57bfe3d1.jpg[/img]

Ringing steel out to 500..

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/042_zps2ca7814a.jpg[/img]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
So Saturday morning we out in the field by dawn....with Travis blowing waaaaaaa...waaaaaaa.....in the middle of what looks like a pool table with stubble...

[Linked Image]

And up over a small rise about 80 yards out comes this trotting coyote... Have him all lined up but made two mistakes...I didn't wait for him to stop...and lead him too much...so one stand and one blown coyote...

[Linked Image]

...so we drive to stand number II...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This time I see the dog coming it over 100 yards out... He is coming right down the fence line and is going to run over me...

About 80 yards out it stops and looks...but continues. About 60 yards out it leaves the fence and is going to cross in front of me...so I get the rifle up and start swinging with him wait for him to stop...and about 50 yards out he swaps ends in mid stride and is now full back toward the the fence...I get off two shots before he goes out of sight and then he comes into Travis' field of fire but he is at full speed at more than 100 yards...

So we try spot number III...and this is a 100% spot...except this time because the field is full of cows....

So we go around to the backside of the field but strike out...

[Linked Image]

Coyotes 2..... Bob 0

So we head for lunch....

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
After lunch we take the handguns and head for the range again...

[Linked Image]

Travis putting up a 130 target...

[Linked Image]

Shooting his new LUST...the FA 654...

[Linked Image]

Breaking clay birds at 75 yards prone...

[Linked Image]

Working on 50 yard clay birds with the FA 97...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

..with his .44...he hits nothing....

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/070_zpsbf4d2570.jpg[/img]

..but with my 657 Mountain Gun he hit a water filled milk jug 4/6 at 100 DOUBLE ACTION...

So at breakfast this morning Travis said he did nothing but dream of getting a FA in .44...

Travis and his great wife (she has to be great to put up with him) are just wonderful folks...and their little one is one Ms. Smiley...

Cloudy wet day today..P-Dogs may not be out....

Bob

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Bob applies peer pressure quickly. Already found a FA for $1,800.00...

Travis

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Awesome all the way around! Great shooting Trav!

I just started to dabble in the world of handguns (other than a .22 MK II) when I bought a SR1911 .45 acp so these shots you guys are taking (and HITTING) are amazing to me!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
.308's suck for prairie dogs. But the .17 Rem saved the day per always.

[Linked Image]

RJM and the FA @ 800ish. Little breezy out there. Made hits difficult. Still cool to watch.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Here he is @ about 240yds.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Bob did not seem to believe me when I said this was an all weather road:

[Linked Image]

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Rooster7

I just started to dabble in the world of handguns (other than a .22 MK II) when I bought a SR1911 .45 acp so these shots you guys are taking (and HITTING) are amazing to me!

We should go shoot after a few rounds at the VFW.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love the whole travelogue, with pictures! Is New Hampshire just your mailing address? wink

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's funny how we can hit a steel plate 750 yards up the side of a mountain but miss a stupid dog right that are chip shots pretty much right in front of us.

Good times!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.308's suck for prairie dogs. But the .17 Rem saved the day per always.

[Linked Image]

RJM and the FA @ 800ish. Little breezy out there. Made hits difficult. Still cool to watch.

Travis

Sounds like a "calm" day grin Good job guys!!! GFY

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis

.454's can usually be had for less. Lot of folks who don't handload bought them on a whim, then backpedaled after they realized how hard they kick with factory ammo. One of the local hoity toity shops had about a dozen used ones at one time.

Now the rare calibers, .44, .475, .500 WE, are normally bought by serious pistoleros who handload and those seldom turn up used.

I'd like to get one of the .475's but it won't get loaded full house. The darn things are like a 3 pound Swiss watch, they are so well made.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This one is a .44.

Buy?

Travis

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Buy, you can always make more money, but we only have so much time... Enjoy!!! Thanks for the great photos and story.. Enjoyed every page.. Havre is a different world, but the high line is an awesome place...

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Travis

.454's can usually be had for less. Lot of folks who don't handload bought them on a whim, then backpedaled after they realized how hard they kick with factory ammo. One of the local hoity toity shops had about a dozen used ones at one time.

Now the rare calibers, .44, .475, .500 WE, are normally bought by serious pistoleros who handload and those seldom turn up used.

I'd like to get one of the .475's but it won't get loaded full house. The darn things are like a 3 pound Swiss watch, they are so well made.

Had a .454 and killed a moose with it, antelope and deer. Finest action on a revolver out there. Lock up like a bank vault.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Buy, you can always make more money, but we only have so much time... Enjoy!!! Thanks for the great photos and story.. Enjoyed every page.. Havre is a different world, but the high line is an awesome place...

You are very wise for such a young man.

Travis

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
YOUNG?????? I only wish!! Not really, I enjoy visiting interesting folks, shooting, spending $, and not working..

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I hate spending money - unless it's gun money!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Travis

and so it goes, but trust me, you will be better off, I think.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one is a .44.

Buy?

Travis

.44 M83's aren't common. Go for it, if you like it smile

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I hope between Mackay and Travis one of them buys the FA84/.44...too great a deal to pass up...

Yesterday was a breezy and overcast day. It had rained hard in the area where we were going to hunt p-dogs and the roads were "messy" to say the least.

Once to the dog town there were LOTS of targets of opportunity all of whom it seems escaped the rath of Travis' suppressed .308. The funniest one was the 30 pound p-dog who sat 40 yards from Travis as he showered him with dirt with shot after shot...I was laughing so hard I couldn't get my 57 out to take a shot...it was s great show.

Travis finally got serious about getting his guest some blood and got out a lust rifle of mine...a Remington 700 LVSF in .17 Remington...it simply cuts p-dogs in half...

We returned to Haver with what looked like half of Montana under the wheelwells. After luch it was hack to the range for one last session of long range shooting. As seen from the videos above it was a fun time. 800+ yards in the Montana crosswind is very challenging...

Travis the FA83...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So I am up early, packed and ready to move on...Travis and his lovely wife have been great hosts...

Next stop is to see P Weed in ND...a long days drive...Bob

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That prairie dog wasn't an ounce over 20lbs. Don't exaggerate.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
YOUNG?????? I only wish!! Not really, I enjoy visiting interesting folks, shooting, spending $, and not working..

Come by any time.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
The funniest one was the 30 pound p-dog who sat 40 yards from Travis as he showered him with dirt with shot after shot...

Damn, just goes to show that it happens to the best of us.......... laugh

Glad it wasn't a 5 pounder.........Travis' position woulda been overrun!!!

MM

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I kept yelling at Bob to shoot the GD things (we were looking for handgun targets) but I couldn't take it any more and opened fire.

Not the first p-dog to laugh at me. Won't be the last.

Travis

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rooster7

We should go shoot after a few rounds at the VFW.

Travis

We could shoot our empties from out the back door!

Around these parts of MN, that wouldn't be viewed as anything TOO out of the ordinary. But I'm guessin the libtards down there might not think to highly of it...

Phugg 'em! Let's do it anyway!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Travis, Thanks.. Next summer..

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 19 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.