Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Anyone have any experience with both of these, trying to decide between the two. It'll be going on a 30.06 used for deer and moose under 500 yds.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I can tell you the VX6 model your asking about is one heck of a scope I have one on my 280 Ackley and it is far superior to any vortex scope that I've used..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Aviator
I can tell you the VX6 model your asking about is one heck of a scope I have one on my 280 Ackley and it is far superior to any vortex scope that I've used..

+1. Vortex makes nothing that interests me, and the VX6 is a great hunting scope. I've posted numerous times that it is the most user friendly variable hunting scope I've ever used/seen/fiddled with in the field, and the more I use it the more true it is.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
While the Vortex may be great, IMHO it won't have a name to match Leupold until another 20 years. VX6 for me please if for no other reason than the resale. The VX6 is also a fine scope.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a couple of the Vortex 2.5-10x44 scopes. They are on my 300BLK rifles, which I shoot under 200yards. They are fine optically and have a great warranty if there are any problems. However, my 308s all wear Leupold and are a bit lighter in weight. I like the Vortex just fine, but wouldn't feel bad if they were replaced with Leupolds. I really like the CDS system with my 308s.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only thing Leup has on Vortex IME, is weight. Vortex has many advantages on Leup; price, turrets, reliability, glass quality in a given price bracket, reticle options, etc. This has been my experience with several models from each manufacturer. Both make a great scope, but the Leup nut swingers get to be a little much for me sometimes...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i used a vx6 2-12x42 last season...love it except the power ring is a little stiff actually it was frozen up in SK at -10f
other than that its been great and I just leave the power ring on 6x 99% of time anyway

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The only thing Leup has on Vortex IME, is weight. Vortex has many advantages on Leup; price, turrets, reliability, glass quality in a given price bracket, reticle options, etc. This has been my experience with several models from each manufacturer. Both make a great scope, but the Leup nut swingers get to be a little much for me sometimes...

Vortex is nothing but a seller of optics. They make nothing, zero, nada. That's one reason why I refuse to drink the koolaid.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I love the optics forum.

I have been fortunate enough to have hunted and lived in a lot of places where rifles getting used are a part of daily life, and rifles getting hunted in adverse conditions are par for the course. One of the constants I see in equipment is Leupold Scopes. Another is Ruger rifles. Seen lots of other stuff come and go�

Just my .02 worth�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree Poobah, and it's funny your timing with your post. Nobody loves fiddling with gear, especially optics, more than I do. I'm sure I waste good money doing it, but I find it enjoyable....all sorts of different brands. Out of probably 120 or so hunters in our camps over the past 12 years, here's what I've noticed FWIW:

Riflescopes--seldom do we get the turret twisting, long range hunter (once in 12 years). 75% show up with Leupold scopes of some sort. Not one of these guys, most of who can afford whatever gear they want, and go wherever they want, have had any issues with their Leupold scope, ever. The other 25% wear mostly Swaro's, occasional Zeiss and S&B's. I never see Nikon, vortex, Bushnell, NF (once in 12 years).

Binoculars--The overwhelming #1 choice is Swarovski, probably 80% at least. There is an occasional Leica (getting fewer and fewer hunters showing up with them), occasional Zeiss, occasional Leupold, never a vortex or Nikon.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know JG likes the VX SIX and I would like to try one as well but like he said...any Leupold like my VX3 3.5-10x40 w/post and duplex covers about all a man could want, whether in a regular hunting camp or a trophy hunting camp. A man with a VXII-VX SIX can kill any game anywhere during legal hunting hours...and with just about any reticle. I ain't drinking the Vortex koolaid either. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 07/25/14.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JGR�Ive noticed the same things you have. Hands down the fave Binos anywhere Ive been in the world are Swarovskis�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You boys talkin' up Swaro binos haven't talked to "E" lately.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Vortex is nothing but a seller of optics. They make nothing, zero, nada. That's one reason why I refuse to drink the koolaid.

Who cares? Leup doesn't make everything in their products, either. They contract a lot of it out, just like Vortex. The fact is that both companies put out good products. They are different, but both have good offerings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If nothing else, both have excellent warranties and customer service.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Based on my research and experience with optics I still have not found a good reason to buy a vortex anything. There is always something better for just slightly more or the same money.

Their success is based on their pushing of their name through their constant advertisements and a lower price bracket then the top optic companies. Much like the effort Swarovski pushing their name in the premium bracket. It has worked very well for both companies.

I do applaud the efforts of vortex and it is quite amazing the position they have put themselves in the mid grade optics segment. Their warranty is great but I have seen more problems with their products requiring warranty work then any other optics in their price segment so in reality the point of their excellent warranty is not that much of a bonus when a product has a much higher possibility of rate of return.

Their high end optics compete a little better but do not have the after sale value of upper end optics companies.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Timberbuck, you state your research and experience tells you that Vortex has a higher number of warranty claims than others. What is your research and experience. Do you work in the shooting industry, for a shop? Just wondering. Goodshot

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i looked at vortex but didnt care for the reticles. would take the vx6 anyday over a vortex

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I work with a bunch of younger hunters,(anywhere from 19 to 35) and they love Vortex. Me, I'm 50 and a Leupold guy. The tacticool guys like Vortex too I noticed. In my estimation, the younger demographgic is enamoured with the Vortex stuff. Older folks in the know maybe not so much. mtmuley

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have a mixed bag in that I own Zeiss, Leupold and Vortex. The Leupold is my oldest scope and I bought the VXIII 1.5-5X20mm back in the 1980's it still setts on top of my M77 30-06. The Zeiss 4-14X44mm sets on top My 300Bee. The Vortex is a new model Diamond Back HP 3-12X42mm and it is going on top of my M700 35 Whelen. I'm impressed with the Diamond back HP with the features and quality of the glass for the price. I had bought a Sightron Big Sky 2-10X40mm and sent it back because I didn't like the quality of the scope or the glass.
I'm thinking on getting another Diamond Back HP in 2-8x32mm for another 30-06 I have. I also like that they are one inch diameter tubes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 71 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.