Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, I know. The police chiefs in Mass are different than cops everywhere else. Right? Yeah.
link to story
Police chiefs in Massachusetts are blasting state lawmakers for shooting down a provision that would have given them sole discretion over who can get rifle or shotgun permits.

The Bay State, which has some of the nation's toughest gun laws, has long left it up to a community's top cop to sign off on handgun permits. Lawmakers were considering extending that to include the Firearms Identification Card, or FID, needed to possess long guns. But lawmakers, leery of the constitutionality of the law, which critics say can result in law-abiding citizens being denied their Second Amendment rights, have stripped a proposed bill of that provision. This week, police chiefs from throughout the state and gun control advocates converged on the Statehouse in Boston to blast state senators for removing the provision.

�Our position is really very, very simple,� said Wayne Sampson, executive director of the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association. �We, as an association, believe that it�s unconscionable that if we determine a person is unsuitable to carry a handgun, that they can then turn around and apply for a Firearms Identification Card, which allows them, by law, to purchase rifles and shotguns. And there�s no way we can impose any restrictions on that. It just doesn�t make sense.�

and as always, more at the link..........

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why do you not support the police? They know best who should and should not be armed.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Yeah, I know. The police chiefs in Mass are different than cops everywhere else. Right? Yeah.
link to story
Police chiefs in Massachusetts are blasting state lawmakers for shooting down a provision that would have given them sole discretion over who can get rifle or shotgun permits.

The Bay State, which has some of the nation's toughest gun laws, has long left it up to a community's top cop to sign off on handgun permits. Lawmakers were considering extending that to include the Firearms Identification Card, or FID, needed to possess long guns. But lawmakers, leery of the constitutionality of the law, which critics say can result in law-abiding citizens being denied their Second Amendment rights, have stripped a proposed bill of that provision. This week, police chiefs from throughout the state and gun control advocates converged on the Statehouse in Boston to blast state senators for removing the provision.

�Our position is really very, very simple,� said Wayne Sampson, executive director of the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association. �We, as an association, believe that it�s unconscionable that if we determine a person is unsuitable to carry a handgun, that they can then turn around and apply for a Firearms Identification Card, which allows them, by law, to purchase rifles and shotguns. And there�s no way we can impose any restrictions on that. It just doesn�t make sense.�

and as always, more at the link..........

Bet they can't hold a candle to the NJ Gestapo .

Mass cops showed what they were all about during the marathon bombing, they showed sheer imcompetence, if it were not for a neighbor tipping them off they still would not have found the lone bomber. Their staged show of force to the MSM during the whole thing was disgusting. They clearly believe they rule the citizens in that state.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Police departments seem far more often to be on the wrong side of things (the side of the elites) than Sheriff's Departments. One wonders if that's a manifestation of the fact that Chiefs are political appointees with relatively secure positions while Sheriffs are holders of elective office, directly answerable to their constituency via the ballot box. No mystery to me.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Send them a copy of the Constitution. Wait! Can they read?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Bet they can't hold a candle to the NJ Gestapo .

Mass cops showed what they were all about during the marathon bombing, they showed sheer imcompetence, if it were not for a neighbor tipping them off they still would not have found the lone bomber. Their staged show of force to the MSM during the whole thing was disgusting. They clearly believe they rule the citizens in that state.
Big Plus One.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Police departments are controlled by city councils, are they not? Who controls the city councils? As I recall, it's the VOTERS. Why don't more voters take action to replace councils who allow this crap?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And there�s no way we can impose any restrictions on that. It just doesn�t make sense.�

Sounds like they feel their opinion should rank somewhere above the second amendment. Surely, no one would ever abuse such power.

1Minute
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Police departments seem far more often to be on the wrong side of things (the side of the elites) than Sheriff's Departments. One wonders if that's a manifestation of the fact that Chiefs are political appointees with relatively secure positions while Sheriffs are holders of elective office, directly answerable to their constituency via the ballot box. No mystery to me.

Very true, Hawk.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes since police can carry nationwide and you can't.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Police departments are controlled by city councils, are they not? Who controls the city councils? As I recall, it's the VOTERS. Why don't more voters take action to replace councils who allow this crap?
That's a disconnected and indirect means of popular control over the police. What happens there is that often all major parties running for council agree on militarizing the police, but differ on other points that earn the votes of their constituency, thus, in that case, the people have zero control over the police. Elites, however, have plenty of control over issues that will be agreed upon by all major parties by prior arrangement.

Sheriffs, on the contrary, are directly answerable to the people in the communities they serve.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It isn't crap!! Why do you want police denied the power and tools they need to keep civilians in line?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by sherp

It isn't crap!! Why do you want police denied the power and tools they need to keep civilians in line?
laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a disconnected and indirect means of popular control over the police. What happens there is that often all major parties running for council agree on militarizing the police, but differ on other points that earn the votes of their constituency, thus, in that case, the people have zero control over the police. Elites, however, have plenty of control over issues that will be agreed upon by all major parties by prior arrangement.

Sheriffs, on the contrary, are directly answerable to the people in the communities they serve.

There isn't a law on the books or an action initiated by a police officer than the nations' sheriffs & deputies would not assist in seeing it carried out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Police and the Government or one and the same , it is all about controlling the Sheep they are supposedly serving

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175
Police and the Government or one and the same , it is all about controlling the Sheep they are supposedly serving

Yep, that is why any Conservative worth their salt will support police without question.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I support myself and no one else .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Good answer. While they may be enforcing the same laws, you rarely see a Sheriff openly campaigning for something the majority of his constituents are against.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that your Sheriffs are pretty much autonomous with regard to Government beaurocracy...in that he or she can kick the traces and go a different way if he or she considers a particular Government action/law un-constitutional?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that your Sheriffs are pretty much autonomous with regard to Government beaurocracy...in that he or she can kick the traces and go a different way if he or she considers a particular Government action/law un-constitutional?

Correct. Police Chiefs, however, do not have such authority granted to them. Most just take it anyway.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.