Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1886nut Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Is it really worth it to get an extra .45 Colt cylinder? Does it improve accuracy? Cut down on leading in the cylinder? Just dotting Is and crossing Ts?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMHO worth it, and shoot the correct brass in the correct cylinder. FA mdl 83's are built to very tight tollerances, and it doesn't take much leading or fouling to make extracting 454 brass from the cylinder tough.

As far as accuracy, due to the previously mentioned dimensions I would be surprised if you had trouble get top notch accuracy out of a 454 using 45 colt brass.

That said, it is well worth working up loads to see what is most accurate in your gun. A good revolver is capable of moa accuracy, but only with worked up loads. I've seen 1/2 gr more or 1/2 gr less powder than the accuracy load for a good revolver double the size of the group.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally I'd get it in .45 Colt and just skip the .454. When you load a round with the bullet all the way out to the end of the cylinder, you have just as much case capacity as a .454, so you can essentially duplicate the ballistics without having to buy that expensive brass.

If I ever wanted anything more powerful than a 5 shot .45 Colt, I'd go bigger, not faster. .475 Linebaugh would be my next step, and you can shoot .480 Ruger in a .475 for lighter loads.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Personally I'd get it in .45 Colt and just skip the .454. When you load a round with the bullet all the way out to the end of the cylinder, you have just as much case capacity as a .454, so you can essentially duplicate the ballistics without having to buy that expensive brass.

If I ever wanted anything more powerful than a 5 shot .45 Colt, I'd go bigger, not faster. .475 Linebaugh would be my next step, and you can shoot .480 Ruger in a .475 for lighter loads.

Agree with all written completely.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
I have not seen much of a drop in accuracy when dropping colts in my freedoms. I have owned extra cylinders in my freedoms and I feel its not needed. When you shoot colts, clean well before shooting 454's. Its really that simple. Internet claims of bad things happening in the freedoms when using 45 colts are a myth unless you are not cleaning in between. While I do really enjoy my 454's I do agree that if you are looking for just power go with the 475 for more size. If you are looking for flat shooting, go with the 454. I have owned many of both and there is nothing I will face that a 45 colt or 454 wont handle.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[quote=GunGeek]Personally I'd get it in .45 Colt and just skip the .454. When you load a round with the bullet all the way out to the end of the cylinder, you have just as much case capacity as a .454, so you can essentially duplicate the ballistics without having to buy that expensive brass.

I have a couple of problems with this.

OAL-- When loading most bullets in a 45 Colt case to 454 OAL you will not be crimping in the cannelure of that bullet. Not a good thing to do in a revolver with heavy recoil. It is okay in the T/C single shot except for not having equal bullet pull that a good roll crimp affords using slow burning powders.

Some 45 Colt brass can handle high pressures up to normal magnum pressures, but not at 454 pressures. 45 Colt brass has much thinner sidewalls and web section than 454 or 44 mag brass as a comparison.

I have never seen any loading data for the 45 Colt that equals the 454 as far as pressures go. The "Ruger/TC Loads" in the manuals do not equal the 454 pressures. For good reason.

Not that it makes any difference, but FA in their owners manual for the Model 83 states that they do not recommend shooting 45 Colt in the 454 cylinder. They have their reasons. A dirty cylinder from 38 special/.357 mag and 44 special/44mag is not the same as 45 Colt/454. The 454 SAAMI pressures are higher than .357 and 44 mag. Could pose a problem shooting a 454 in a dirty cylinder left over from shooting the 45 Colt "for some people". Like gunchamp said, keep it clean.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 1886nut
Is it really worth it to get an extra .45 Colt cylinder? Does it improve accuracy? Cut down on leading in the cylinder? Just dotting Is and crossing Ts?

Not in my experience.

[Linked Image]

No need for a 45 Colt cylinder IME and opinion. I shoot mostly 45 colts in my 454s.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quite frankly, in a 5-shot revolver, the .45 Colt can be loaded to near .454 pressures. That said, I can see no reason to load it that hot. Even the ammo manufacturers aren't loading it any longer to its SAAMI max (65,000 psi). The .454 buys you some more range, but long range isn't my objective while handgun hunting.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Gibby
[quote=GunGeek]Personally I'd get it in .45 Colt and just skip the .454. When you load a round with the bullet all the way out to the end of the cylinder, you have just as much case capacity as a .454, so you can essentially duplicate the ballistics without having to buy that expensive brass.

OAL-- When loading most bullets in a 45 Colt case to 454 OAL you will not be crimping in the cannelure of that bullet. Not a good thing to do in a revolver with heavy recoil. It is okay in the T/C single shot except for not having equal bullet pull that a good roll crimp affords using slow burning powders.

Some 45 Colt brass can handle high pressures up to normal magnum pressures, but not at 454 pressures. 45 Colt brass has much thinner sidewalls and web section than 454 or 44 mag brass as a comparison.

I have never seen any loading data for the 45 Colt that equals the 454 as far as pressures go. The "Ruger/TC Loads" in the manuals do not equal the 454 pressures. For good reason.

Not that it makes any difference, but FA in their owners manual for the Model 83 states that they do not recommend shooting 45 Colt in the 454 cylinder. They have their reasons. A dirty cylinder from 38 special/.357 mag and 44 special/44mag is not the same as 45 Colt/454. The 454 SAAMI pressures are higher than .357 and 44 mag. Could pose a problem shooting a 454 in a dirty cylinder left over from shooting the 45 Colt "for some people". Like gunchamp said, keep it clean.

If one casts then the crimp groove can be located for the 45 Colt brass. If you followed Ross Sygfried when he was writing about handguns he routinely loaded federal 45 Colt brass to 454 levels without problems.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Quite frankly, in a 5-shot revolver, the .45 Colt can be loaded to near .454 pressures. That said, I can see no reason to load it that hot. Even the ammo manufacturers aren't loading it any longer to its SAAMI max (65,000 psi). The .454 buys you some more range, but long range isn't my objective while handgun hunting.
Agree 100%. I keep my 454 loads to pushing a 335 cp to 1350ish. Don't need any more than that for what I'm doing.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

If one casts then the crimp groove can be located for the 45 Colt brass. If you followed Ross Sygfried when he was writing about handguns he routinely loaded federal 45 Colt brass to 454 levels without problems.
It is amazing what can be done in a 5 shot colt. I've seen loads that would darn near equal 454 velocity.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The gun can take it. The brass is the weak link.

Years ago when people started loading the 45 Colt hot for the Blackhawks, they did discover that Fed brass was heavier and had good luck with it. Win brass was weaker. Rem brass was the weakest. Case life was shorter than a typical 44 mag case on all the brands. Starline brass for the 45 Colt is heat treated and has a different grain structure just for this reason of people loading it at the higher levels. Agreed on not loading it to 65K psi.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Just for giggles-has anyone seen any load data for the 45 Colt at full 454 levels.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can only speak from my own experiences which may not shed any light for your situation. I have a Smith & Wesson 460XVR revolver and if you don't know. It's chambered for the .460 Magnum as well as being able to shoot .45LC and .454 Casull. I was beyond shocked at the great accuracy of .45LC and .454s in this gun. Extremely accurate in every instance. I agree with Kevin though, I would only load up LCs as .454 brass is ridiculous. I have even found .460 brass much cheaper

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Maybe it is just me, but I never understood why someone would carry a 5 pound gun around to shoot the 45 LC. I do have a 8 3/8" S&W 500. I do not shoot drastically reduced loads in it. The most accurate loads are near max though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boococky
I can only speak from my own experiences which may not shed any light for your situation. I have a Smith & Wesson 460XVR revolver and if you don't know. It's chambered for the .460 Magnum as well as being able to shoot .45LC and .454 Casull. I was beyond shocked at the great accuracy of .45LC and .454s in this gun. Extremely accurate in every instance. I agree with Kevin though, I would only load up LCs as .454 brass is ridiculous. I have even found .460 brass much cheaper

The last .460 XVR I tested wouldn't shoot anything but .460 ammo accurately. I also found the size and noise off-putting. But that's just me.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by Boococky

The last .460 XVR I tested wouldn't shoot anything but .460 ammo accurately. I also found the size and noise off-putting. But that's just me.

I think you have mentioned that before on here. Guess it was the gun, cause mine shoots cowboy loads and hard hitting loads in 45LC as accurate as I need them to be. The 460 is a fireball and sounds like a cannon going off, but it is a hoot to shoot and will drop any animal on this continent and most on others smile

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
THIS!!

The issue isn't the brass, it's the chamber. If the chamber is cut right, a .45 Colt will do anything a .454 will do. Federal and Starline .45 Colt brass is as good as cartridge brass gets; period.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The gun can take it. The brass is the weak link.

Case life was shorter than a typical 44 mag case on all the brands.
That hasn't been my observation. Again, it all comes down to how generous the chamber is. For some reason on production .45 Colts (mostly older ones) chambers are extremely generous, far more generous than a .44 or .41 mag...I'm sure JWP or Whitworth may have an answer for why that is, but it is.

All else being equal, Federal or Starline .45 Colt brass will do anything that pretty much any other cartridge can do, and won't wear out any faster...again, all else being equal.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 1886nut

I've never used a .45 Colt cylinder in my Casulls- instead, if I want to shoot .45 Colt-level loads, I simply download .454 cases to do so. FA publishes a whole list of suitable powders, bullets, etc. to do this.
In fact, nearly all the shooting I do nowdays with .454 Casull is with downloaded .454 cases. Accuracy is just fine, and those cases will last forever at reduced pressure levels. Just don't try using powders like H110 or W296 to do so- they are designed to perform at near max velocity and pressure levels, and reducing loads with these powders can result in misfires.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 1,992 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,925
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.