Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I posted this over on AR as well, wondering what you all think?

I was pondering the possibility of cutting two FN Commercial Mauser 98 actions into two parts; the cut on the first action being closer to the front ring, and then cutting the second action closer to the rear ring. Then proceeding to mate the front of action number 1 to the rear of action number 2 and vice versa. (also modifying the bolts/extractors accordingly) Thus making a LR Kurz action as well as a LR Magnum Action, and being able to use corresponding aftermarket bottom metal.

There are better ways to get a short action as well as a magnum action, and I'm certainly not trying to dispute that fact. I merely think it would be neat to have a matched pair rifles in say a .250 savage and .375 H&H with actions that match the cartridge length. (I have a long action .22-250 that shoots brilliantly but the miss use of space is rather irritating.)

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, and I've seen shortened Mausers before, but have any of you undertaken a project like this? What was the cost of the cut and switch? I figure you could look around and find two suitable actions for 1000 USD and if it cost less than 2-3k for the change you'd be miles ahead of trying to buy a pair of originals.

This might just be a pipe dream, but I'm interested nonetheless.

Thanks,

John

Last edited by jauntymorel; 07/23/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's been done in the past, I have a gunsmithing book that showed a mdl 70 being cut down to make a short action.

The key would be finding a smith willing to tackle the project. Most smiths nowadays seem to be more parts swappers than metal smiths. I have no doubt there are several guild members fully up to the project, but they don't work for cheap.

All things are possible with time, money and desire.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Most Mauser actions are just mild steel, so the welding part really wouldn't be tough. It could be welded with literally any kind of welding process because since you don't have to control the heat because everything will have to be re-heat treated. So the actual welding is easy.

Making the fixture to do the welding is where you run into money. You will need a custom heat sink to run down the center of the two pieces to keep everything concentric, and to minimize warping...there is always warping when you weld steel. Then after the weld, there will be a good deal of file work to make sure the bolt still slides easy, and the outside all blends in.

Then you have to do the bolt. Same thing, you want a fixture that will keep warping to an absolute minimum.

And of course, all will have to be re-heat treated when done.

Would be a cool project, but it wouldn't be cheap. I know a gent who could do it, but it would depend on if he has the time.

I think I could do it, but I'd rather practice on one of my guns than practice on a customer's gun.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I came close to buying such a piece in 250 Savage from a 'smith I used to use in Conroe Texas. As noted, a lot of work to get it all right. This gent had done just that.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
I have a couple VZ24 actions cut and swapped for a 6mmBR and a 338LM.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clark

The stuff you have never ceases to amaze me.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
^ a kurz LR would no doubt be the way to build a compact hunter in say 7.92x33... Thanks for bringing this up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10Glocks, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,901
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.