Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Switch Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Thoughts on these two calibers, I thought they were the best of the lot with my leaning to the 7 RSAUM with it's longer neck. What is the problem with these? I don't think anyone builds a production rifle.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not many options with 7mm WSM either. I'd go that way only because it is a little more available and brass could easily be made from 300 WSM brass.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Keep an eye out for a used Montana in 325 or 300 WSM. Once you have one, call Lija or Pacnor and get a montana contour tube in 7WSM...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 7 SAUM is functionally a .280 AI that will fit in a short action--the case capacities are within a grain or two of water, depending on the head stamp. The 7 WSM (which also fits in a short action) will give you another 100-150 fps with a 140-grain bullet. There seem to be a lot more rifles out there chambered for .270 WSM and .300 WSM, and both of those cases can easily be re-formed to 7mm WSM.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 270 WSM cannot be easily re-formed by sizing to the 7mm WSM.

The headspace on the 7mm WSM is longer than the 270 and 300 WSM's.

The headstamp will be wrong on 300's formed and fireformed to 7mm WSM.

I am an aficionado of the 7mm WSM and just had to have one to get away from those terrible belted rounds.

While I have some 7mm WSM brass and shoot the rifle I see that brass is not readily available.

It would be easier to get and shoot a 270 WSM if that size round and rifle are wanted. The 270 WSM seems somewhat popular and what with the new quality bullets available in 270.

The 270 WSM's bullet is only 0.007" smaller than the 7mm's!

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A friend necks up 270 WSM and seats a bullet into the lands, adds a solid charge of 4350 and fire forms into 7WSM with no problems.

I neck down 300WSM brass to form a false shoulder, add 59.0grs 4350 with a 140 gr bullet and fire form with no problems.

The 7 is the only WSM I own so head stamp don't matter to me but I can see how it could be a problem owning more than 1 WSM.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99

I am an aficionado of the 7mm WSM and just had to have one to get away from those terrible belted rounds.

While I have some 7mm WSM brass and shoot the rifle I see that brass is not readily available.

It would be easier to get and shoot a 270 WSM if that size round and rifle are wanted. The 270 WSM seems somewhat popular and what with the new quality bullets available in 270.

Wow.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yup.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Get a clue....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes anyway. Those belts are awful aren't they. Cause all sorts of problems. Just wish I could think of one off the top of my head.

IC B3

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Wow.

Wow +1. Simply amazing.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CLB

Wow.

Wow +1. Simply amazing.

I always, chuckle while reading his posts.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
other than finding brass if you reload nothing wrong with the RSAUM..Owned every WSM except the 325 and frankly I now own a 300 and 7mm RSAUM matching SS model 7s.

out standing accuaracy .. for me much better than any WSM I've owned.

love mine.. nickel's difference between the WSM and SAUMs

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sactoller
Originally Posted by CLB

Wow.

Wow +1. Simply amazing.

I always, chuckle while reading his posts.

Really? I find myself slapping my forehead.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Since the 7wsm has a shorter neck with the shoulder pushed farther forward its really pretty simple. You can take 300wsm brass and partially size the neck down to where the bolt will just close with a little resistance. Also known as creating a false shoulder and creating positive headspace for your initial firing. Seems pretty easy to me�

The only thing different for the 270wsm brass would be to run it through an expander die twice to neck it up to 284 and 308. Then follow the same procedure. Both ways would give you perfect brass in minimal effort or steps.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I got a tubfull of chitty brass for my 7 WSM. Just give up and buy Norma the first time ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If the head honchos of the firearms and ammo manufacturers were reading my post, I'd put some brains and heart into it. For those who will read it, I'll say that I think the 7mm's are the top of the bunch of short mags, and that the SAUM case was better thought out. All are handicapped to some extent by short actions, magazines, and barrels. I'd love to have a 7 SAUM in a std length action with a 25" bbl in a factory 700. That won't happen for several reasons, so I'll end up going semi-custom, as others have mentioned.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I love my 7 saum and if you get 200 brass you will be fine.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Switch,

I'm sure that they're both great cartridges. My thought is availability of ammo & loading components.

I wish you best of luck with your choice and many successful hunts with it.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by fredIII
I love my 7 saum and if you get 200 brass you will be fine.

Yep and Norma is doing SAUM brass soon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have thoughts of making a savage long action into a 7mmSAUM, I would have plenty of room in the mag to set long bullets way out there.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rather than splitting itty bitty red c-unt hairs, let's all just buy a 270/30-06 and actually hunt more.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by PPosey
I have thoughts of making a savage long action into a 7mmSAUM, I would have plenty of room in the mag to set long bullets way out there.

True, but you can make an arguement that the 7SAUM is best suited for 168's and runs out of steam with the 180's and heavier, making the LA a moot point.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Rather than splitting itty bitty red c-unt hairs, let's all just buy a 270/30-06 and actually hunt more.

Or you could sell all of your classic revolvers, buy a Glock, and then be able to afford to shoot enough to actually be able to effectively use the range a fast seven affords.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

True, but you can make an arguement that the 7SAUM is best suited for 168's and runs out of steam with the 180's and heavier, making the LA a moot point.

I think I could get 2950fps out of a 180 without pushing hard

Last edited by PPosey; 07/28/14.

Location Western NC,
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

gotta do something when seasons are closed,,,,,

Location Western NC,
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I think I could get 2950fps out of a 180 without pushing hard

With the right barrel length, you can get that and more. Go to 6mmbr.com and read about the 7 saum in competition.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a 7SAUM and a 7RM. (*and a 7x57 for what it's worth.)

The real difference between any of them is brass and loaded ammo availability in foreign countries.

In other words there's no appreciable difference in the USA between the WSM, SAUM and RMag for any hunting purpose. Ammo travels with the rifle in the USA - so for any domestic hunting either round is fully acceptable.

I drilled a mountain goat with a 140gr. AB bullet at 3050 fps. It died.

I also dropped Beest (*all three), Zebra and Eland with a 150 E-Tip at 2950. They all died as well.

If you want to hunt Africa...or other countries, ammo availability has a valuable benefit.

Otherwise, a 7mm driven at decent velocity will do the trick.

The designate of WSM, SAUM, RM, RUM STW or otherwise matters little. It's just a question of impact velocity at a certain distance.

Last edited by rnovi; 07/29/14.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I think I could get 2950fps out of a 180 without pushing

hard

With the right barrel length, you can get that and more. Go to 6mmbr.com and read about the 7 saum in competition.

Yep already been over there, some good info for sure, I hope to stay at 24 inches on the barrel, thats a bit shorter they most of those guys are using but they are getting lots more speed

Location Western NC,
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
And pressure!

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm sure you read the article on AccurateShooter comparing the 7WSM and 7SAUM, but it's worth adding it again here;
http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/7mm/
I chose the 7SAUM, in case I ever get out West to shoot at something, but most of my hunting is done with 284win

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
With a 28" bbl you don't need uber pressure to get to 3000 with 180's in the SAUM. The guys over there shoot competition, and need their guns, brass to last a while. That is the point of going to the SAUM over other fast 7s: it is easy on throats.

Barrel length does matter, and long barrels can give much higher velocity than short ones. If comp shooters need 28" to get the most out of their 308s, and 30" for 30-06, then 32" is probably closer to ideal for a 7 SAUM.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or you could sell all of your classic revolvers, buy a Glock, and then be able to afford to shoot enough to actually be able to effectively use the range a fast seven affords.

Well I've yet to see a glock, or any 7wsm gross a 10%+ year-over-year return, but when I do I'll switch over.

We could get into the debate about actually being a good hunter and getting physically closer to your game, rather than piddly-poke at it with your additional 'effective-range'. But that may just be playing devils advocate.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
From doing a refresher reading on 6mmbr.com, my ideal LR hunting 7 is looking more and more like the 7 SAUM on a std length action with a 26-28" bbl and throated to keep the 180's in the neck. This also allows for seating shorter bullets, like the 168 VLD or 160 Accubond next to the lands.

I had tossed around the idea of building a WSM, but with a reamer that lengthens the throat and the neck. Seems like it is easier to hit the accuracy node of the 180's with the WSM and a shorter bbl, say 24-26", but I am firm on the longer neck.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I've often thought of having a faster 7mm than my 7-08(don't get me wrong, I love my 7-08). I think the 7saum is one of the best designs to come along in some time, but I think I'd honestly go with a 280AI simply for the ease of getting reloading components.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
NTG,

I have a 7MM Rem Mag. It is all that and more. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever fired. However, were I given a do-over, I'd buy only one rifle: a .280 Rem & spend the rest on hunting.

I used to think that faster was better. But now I'm all about accuracy. A .284 caliber bullet doesn't have to travel at mach 5 to be effective. Bell killed nigh on a thousand elephants using a 7X57.

It ain't so much as what launches a .284 caliber bullet as it is that a .284 caliber bullet is launched.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Sounds like our thinking is about the same. I've even thought just get a stock 280...certainly has the power of a 7x57. Never thought much of belts on cases...but that's just me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my 7mmWSM Model 70 Classic Stainless - in fact, it's the only deer rifle I own now.
3004fps over the chrony with 150gr Federal factory Fusions.

Bugger all recoil & not loud like a 7mmRM :))))))

Taking my rifle for a walk
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jeezus [bleep]...The Paper Hat Brigade has their Imagination and Pretend turned WFO to hysterical [bleep] levels.

Ask SquatToPee about the 7ShamWow's and Whizzums she "owns"...it'll be [bleep] funny! Funnier yet,some stupid [bleep] is talking "32-inch ShamWow's" now. [bleep] EPIC humor! SloppyPoozy is still waxing eloquent on FMJ's and there is no end in sight for Day Dreaming Dumb [bleep]' Delusions.

Cheer up,I shoot 'em all.

[Linked Image]

Hoping you Stupid [bleep] don't run outta Imagination or Pretend!

Wow +P+.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow +P is correct. It sure is refreshing to see a post or three from someone who is afforded the luxury of not having to guess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

601 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,309
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.