24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting thread. I've only driven to 2 cow elk. The rest have come out in pieces on a sled. Even on dry ground the sled makes a difference. And once can always wait till morning and frost.

I have a 9000# winch that mounts to receiver front or back of truck. I carry rope and 3/8 cable for getting unstuck (most often getting others unstuck!) And a ton of 1/8 inch cable. I see a spool of pulling tape in my future. I got a cow moose out whole - solo - by tying everything I had together - including 3 of my 4 tire chains! - and winching it to the truck. I dragged it behind the truck to a flat spot, and then loaded it. I have always wanted a bed mounted winch, but don't want to give up the space. My solution: I opened the window on the back of the truck, and the sliding window on my topper. Open windows in truck. Insert 4X4 across windows. Hook short strap to 4 X4, then to winch. 2 -2X10s for a loading ramp, and hand winch the moose up the ramp into the truck using a one of the cheap fence stretcher winches.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If possible I like critters to come out whole because I really do think meat ages better on the bone (a non issue for bone-in quarters, but the tenderloins, ribs, backstrap and trim meat become an issue). I also HATE trimming so much dried meat from all the way around the various cuts.

If the drag is of any distance or difficulty though, critters get cut up in a big hurry. Dragging does indeed suck ass.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Nate, We too wondered about that prospect of going down a few rungs on the food chain while packing out.

There is no way where we hunt in N. Idaho you can pull a kill out whole. So packing is the only option.

To keep the critters off the hanging game bags (usually takes two trips), we hang stocking filled with whole pepper and small bags of curry. Then tie them to the pack boards. We do this after one of our neighbors Pit Bulls got loose and likes to bite. One wiff of that curry, and he stood about 20 yards from us and would take one step closer. He was in attack mode. Also helps with hornets and yellow jackets, which concerns me more than predators.

There is no doubt we have been followed. Not sure if our method worked but there ya go.

Last edited by Wondermutt; 06/22/14.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by plainview
[Linked Image]

We've used this receiver hitch crane for at least 15 years. I've loaded countless deer, elk, antelope and even a moose with it. We usually hunt in snowy conditions so it's easier to drag an animal close to the truck. We also do a lot of ranch hunting so even if you have to walk several miles to find the game it's possible to return later with a truck.

The whole crane breaks down into component pieces for transport. It originally came with cable loops, but my BIL (who is an excellent metalworker) replaced those with pulleys and added a circular Teflon collar at the base for ease of rotation.

That's my son with a 300 lb whitetail from 2006.

Where did you get that rig? Or, did you build it. That would be dandy for recovering and butchering out in the field.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Not sure about regs and rules where most of you guys hunt as far as protecting yourselves against wolves and bear. If you're in a situation where you may be confronted by wolves or bear while packing meat and can't shoot them due to strict regs consider a dry chemical fire extinguisher and possibly a can of hornet spray, the foaming 30 footer type. I was on a raid time once upon a time and I know a blast from a dry chemical extinguisher will knock the wind out of large pit bulls and rotties in no time flat. The dry chemical will suck the O2 out of any animal instantly when hit in the face. A little heavy perhaps but it works.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
If the drag is of any distance or difficulty though, critters get cut up in a big hurry. Dragging does indeed suck ass.

I am in awe of anyone who drags a whole elk out, at any distance.

Except a little one, on a gentle downhill grade, in the snow.

And as long as we're making stuff up, with a gorgeous female companion. Topless.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer hole animal removal, when possible. Cleaner meat, cleaner butchering just better quality control of meat... Always TRY to hunt uphill grin

Chit does happen and sometimes things end up in the bottom of a drainage, Where only dismemberment will work.

I have on private, state and federal land lugged and drug halves and whole down hill by hand, boned and semi-butchered elk in foot only access areas, wiggled my tractor to them, used various atv's, been involved with horse packs and backed my pick-up to them. And hope to some day use logging equipment for said purpose, Just has not happened for me yet cool

By far I prefer hole elk extraction.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I managed to get one out and loaded by myself one time. I used a Cat 518.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 280shooter
I managed to get one out and loaded by myself one time. I used a Cat 518.

Lucky basterd cool

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had it so long I don't really remember all the details....but I originally ordered it from some outfit in Nevada. It was billed as "The Cheater". The current version works a lot better than it did when new.
Originally Posted by Aught6
Originally Posted by plainview
[Linked Image]

We've used this receiver hitch crane for at least 15 years. I've loaded countless deer, elk, antelope and even a moose with it. We usually hunt in snowy conditions so it's easier to drag an animal close to the truck. We also do a lot of ranch hunting so even if you have to walk several miles to find the game it's possible to return later with a truck.

The whole crane breaks down into component pieces for transport. It originally came with cable loops, but my BIL (who is an excellent metalworker) replaced those with pulleys and added a circular Teflon collar at the base for ease of rotation.

That's my son with a 300 lb whitetail from 2006.

Where did you get that rig? Or, did you build it. That would be dandy for recovering and butchering out in the field.

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
391 members (204guy, 280shooter, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 48 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.