Print Thread
Hop To
#9048810 07/24/14
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This fly fishing addiction is spendy!
Top: Winston Passport 9' 5-weight with my old favorite Teton Tioga. Lined this one with Rio Avid WF5F.
Bottom: Replacement St. Croix Avid 7'9" 4-weight with a Lamson Konic 1.5 reel. Lined this one with Rio Gold WF4F.
[Linked Image]

The Winston is my first 9-footer. It will see some streamers and double-nymph rigs in our bigger waters.
I'll also use it on some pond fishing from the boat. Got an absolute steal on this from Cabelas. They had it marked down to $139 online and then I used a $20 off $150 coupon and had to give it a shot!
[Linked Image]

St. Croix replaced my broken-by-me Avid 8' 4-weight 2-piece with with 7'9" 4-Weight 4-piece.
Added the Lamson Konic 1.5 that Cabelas had on sale. I thought the $75 that St. Croix charged was very fair considering my 14-year old 8' 4wt probably cost $160 or so back when I bought it. I purchased it on the vendor plan for less than $70 and the replacement rod is $260.
NC mountains here we come!
[Linked Image]

I'm going to break these in on local ponds until it cools down enough to pursue trout again.
I ordered a Rio Gold WF3F for the 3-weights I own but still have to make my mind up on one more reel.
Now to hand tie some 6# leaders for bluegills.
Ready to get these wet!

Thanks for all the advice and guidance!
WFR

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like you have it covered pretty good, I know all to well about how you can drop money on rods reels fly Lines tippets and leaders, fly tying stuff. My go to rod is still a rod I bought some 32 years ago a Sage RP II 8'6" for a five weight, Hardy LRH reel, Still going strong after all these years, I have a bunch fly rods and reels, have not bought a new one in a good 20 years! Thou Switch and Spey rods have gotten me interested, and If I lived closer than I do to the steel head and salmon, I would have one! The one thing I have learned when it comes to fly fishing is that it can be as simple or as complicated as you wish to make it or as expensive or as cheap as you like also, good stuff you only have to buy once, and that dose not mean it has to be the highest dollar amount, my above set up set me back all of 450 dollars and two extra spools backing and lines, a lot of money, then and a good chunk now, its cost less than coffee to fish the 100 to 200 days I get to at times! That is how you should look at it over the long term, take reasonable care and you rods and reels will out live you! I know mine will out last me, and I have nobody to leave them to so it might end up on ebay to settle my estate such as it is!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I only have one good fly rod. 7'9" TFO finesse 5wt. My favorite rod is one you guys would probably be ashamed to use lol. Its a Shakespeare micro graphite 7' 4wt that I put a new reel seat on and wrapped low profile spinning rod guides on. I paid 13 bucks and change for it on cleqarance at wal mart, I know your shaking your head about now but if fishes wonderfully.

I am now interested in tenkara cause I fish mountain streams and its so simple but I also want an 8wt to start smallmouth fishing with huge flies.

So many rods so little money. I wish all my fishing needs were 13 bucks and change cause I'm about to drain my account on tires for my jeep. Tenkara and 8wt fly rods will have to wait.

O yeah, very handsome outfits you have there.

Last edited by seal_billy; 08/20/14.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks seal billy!

Caught a few nice bluegills and a small bass on the new 4-weight St. Croix last week. Lots of fun! This guy actually worked the drag on the Lamson reel a bit.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This fly fishing addiction is spendy!
Top: Winston Passport 9' 5-weight with my old favorite Teton Tioga

I have 2 Teton Tiogas. I have a few "high dollar reels" but the Tetons are my favorite.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have started going lighter and found these rods quite capable. This is a 3 weight I use quite a bit for many streams, not big water with big current. It works great and with 7X tippet, you can play large fish and still not lose them...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,013 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.