Print Thread
Hop To
C
Cropslx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Just getting into reloading. I bought several Lee die sets. Does most people polish the dies before ever using them? Any thing I should do to make them better before I start? Thanks!!

HR IC

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What is it about gun people that make them want to fix something that's not broke until it is?

Clean them with a degreaser and then use them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Cropslx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
What is it about gun people that make them want to fix something that's not broke until it is?

Clean them with a degreaser and then use them.

I don't want to do anything that I don't have too smile Just asking a question since I do not know. What type of degreaser do you use?

Last edited by Cropslx; 07/24/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used naptha lighter fluid or isopropyl alcohol, aka rubbing alcohol to degrease anything that needs degreasing. Generic store brand rubbing alcohol is pretty cheap and a little goes a long way.

The only Lee dies I've used are their collet neck sizing dies and those can use some polishing and lubrication where the collet fingers rub against the shoulder that squeezes them. Sometimes - not often but sometimes - the mandrel that the case neck is squeezed against can be a bit too large and some folks will polish that down a thousandth.

If you're not using the Lee collet die then disregard that last paragraph, but if so, here's a good video of how to polish one.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree. A good washout with any decent solvent is all they need. And that's just to get rid of any thick grease preservative and the very rare machining chip left behind. Spray brake cleaner, carb cleaner, alcohol, white gas -- whatever. Do it outdoors if what you're using has vapors.

Your case lube will serve as rust preventative after use, so no need to apply anything special. (I highly recommend Imperial Sizing Die Wax used VERY sparingly.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I highly recommend Imperial Sizing Die Wax used VERY sparingly.

I've been using the same tin for several years now, and I load a bunch, thousands of rounds a year.

Just this June I threw a new tin into a box of birthday goodies for a buddy of mine. He doesn't load as much ammo as I do, so his sons will probably inherit 2/3 of the tin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What do you guys use to get the Imperial wax off of the cases after sizing?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wipe them with a towel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a confession to make. I've polished dies. sick

Polishing the expander definitely helps to make it pass through the neck smoother. There's a benefit, albeit small, to reduce the chance of pulling the neck and inducing runout or altering the shoulder/headspace dimensions.

I've polished resizing dies and it does make resizing smoother but that's it. In a practical sense it has no effect on anything. I chucked up a rod in a drill and used 000 steel wool with some oil to remove any fine burrs and then followed that up with some metal polishing paste. You don't want to alter the dimensions or remove the honing marks. The honing marks hold lube.

I am a loony. crazy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
What do you guys use to get the Imperial wax off of the cases after sizing?

Denatured Alcohol. I use it when I'm setting the resize die and checking case feed. Other than that it's One Shot all the way.

Dies get an initial cleaning with bronze wool.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I agree. A good washout with any decent solvent is all they need. And that's just to get rid of any thick grease preservative and the very rare machining chip left behind. Spray brake cleaner, carb cleaner, alcohol, white gas -- whatever. Do it outdoors if what you're using has vapors.

Your case lube will serve as rust preventative after use, so no need to apply anything special. (I highly recommend Imperial Sizing Die Wax used VERY sparingly.)

This!

μολὼν λαβέ
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Before I use a new set of dies I clean them with WD40, I do the same after a lot of use.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 713 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.