Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We didn't draw in Idaho's controlled hunt drawing so we'd planned to hunt in Stanley Basin, unit 36. They have a quota on resident tags of about 1250. There will be a 2d chance drawing the 1st week or so of Aug and we've always waited until then to see what tags are available before buying OTC tags in 36. In past years they've usually sold out around mid Sept. For some unknown reason, this year they sold out in July, before the 2d chance drawing. Obviously, we aren't among the purchasers. So, we have to find a different place to hunt this year. There's no shortage of tags but we'll have to drive a lot farther and hunt where we don't know the country.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
seeing new country is bad, how?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Age. I'm the youngest of my group at 65. South central Idaho is VERY steep and rugged. At our age, it's nice to know where we're going that we can handle the climbing and be able to get an elk out.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Stanley sold out early? It seems that Idaho is having increased demand for it's tags.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
These are resident tags. I wonder if non-res are selling like that, too. In years past, we've bought ours in mid-Sept.

― George Orwell

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hi Rock Chuck,

I hope that you're successful in finding a tag.

When I started hunting elk, I caught on that hunting elk during OTC hunts was extremely difficult. After a few seasons, I went with the flow: trying to get in a premium area. After a few OTC hunts, I knew I was done with them. I saw more hunters in Colorado during an OTC elk hunt than people at Disneyland on a summer holiday.

I began acquiring bonus points. After about ten years, I could have gotten in a great area, but years of orthopedic surgeries just about ended my hunting career. But I continued applying for bonus points. Finally I had enough to get in what some call the best trophy elk unit in the USA. After this year's hunt, I will go back to acquiring bonus points. While I know I'll won't live long enough to get back in to the area I will hunt this year, I think that 10 ought to get me in a great area I know. It's where I hunt mule deer. I have seen monster bulls in that area.

As long as I don't schedule any more scalpel dates, I ought to be able to hunt, hopefully, 10 more years. My surgeon has told me that eventually my left shoulder will have to be replaced. If I can't prevent it, such a surgery will assuredly end my hunting career.

You might want to try for cow permits if it's meat you're after. Many states offer OTC cow permits after drawings. I have never shot a cow elk, nor have I applied for a cow elk tag. It's not that I am opposed to shooting a cow elk. I would were it only meat I was after. I want a legitimate chance at an authentic trophy bull. I'll settle for less, but it's the chance of a trophy that I'm after.

BTW, a 418 bull was taken out of the unit I'll be hunting this September. So I know that I have at least a chance at shooting a trophy bull. Whether Mother Nature cooperates is another story entirely. If I knew I was going to shoot a trophy bull, it's be called shooting as opposed to hunting, and I want to go hunting, not shooting.

Rock, I wish you the absolute best.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SansSouci
I saw more hunters in Colorado during an OTC elk hunt than people at Disneyland on a summer holiday.

Does anybody get away from the roads anymore?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I saw more hunters in Colorado during an OTC elk hunt than people at Disneyland on a summer holiday.

Got to agree with huntsman. I hunt Colorado every year and hardly see any other hunters once past a certain distance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pfffff!
That's just crazy talk.
You can't have a handy bar & grill without roads...

Have Dog

Will Travel

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There's no shortage of tags but we'll have to drive a lot farther and hunt where we don't know the country.

Hey Rock that kind of sounds like the same dilemma for all of us 60 year old non-residents. Long drive, no scouting.

At least until I just started accepting cow tags and hunting the same area of Wyoming. Still got the long drive but I am learning the country.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Are you looking at the Sawtooth Wilderness? I spent a week backpacking there and it can definitely get vertical.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Rock, that is a shame I really like the Stanley area and will spend a week there again this year trying to find a wolf. I will then head to Salmon which is mostly new country for me and I can commiserate about the steepness. However tough I never have to fight the crowds in Idaho. With any luck the Steelhead will arrive before I depart. Good luck w/ your hunt.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, ya won't see SanSuzy there, then.....

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Lucky me.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LostArra
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There's no shortage of tags but we'll have to drive a lot farther and hunt where we don't know the country.

Hey Rock that kind of sounds like the same dilemma for all of us 60 year old non-residents. Long drive, no scouting.

At least until I just started accepting cow tags and hunting the same area of Wyoming. Still got the long drive but I am learning the country.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Are you looking at the Sawtooth Wilderness? I spent a week backpacking there and it can definitely get vertical.
We've been hunting mostly cows for the last few years but always in draw hunts. There are very few OTC cow tags in the south half of the state. I have a string of very experienced llamas who are adept at getting the meat out but some of those mountains are daunting even for them, let alone a horse. They do let us get back in farther than most day hunters, though.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You'll prolly see more WA residents over there now that most of western Washington timberland has went to pay access.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Hunting away from roads wasn't the problem. ATV's can be one hell of a problem. And I ain't met a CO hunter yet that didn't own an ATV. Anyway, I was in S/W Colorado. It was one of the better OTC areas, which made it very popular. I wouldn't doubt that it's a draw area now. Anyway, hunter orange was everywhere. And regardless of how far one hiked in, one could periodically hear the hum of a distant ATV.

I knew the area because I knew a couple guys that lived there. I was dialed in to a good area. Apparently, resident elk hunters knew of it, too. One of the spots I was told to try looked like a damned parking lot. Nearly all plates were Colorado with Texas plates not too far behind. I didn't even try.

The area where we hunt mule deer in Utah is one of the most remote areas I've ever hunted. We're probably the only hunters with out-of-state plates. I have seen huge bulls in that area. Beginning next year, I'm going to start accumulating bonus points for that area. While it isn't the best trophy area in Utah, it ain't hard to find 360-class bulls.

If I ever tried to hunt CO again, it would be mule deer in a limited draw area on the west side of the state. If you hunt CO, you probably know of the area of which I'm referring. It's pretty darn popular. It is hard hunting, but there are some big mule deer in there.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well, ya won't see SanSuzy there, then.....

You won't see me anywhere, but I've seen your mug behind the wheel of your pick up, stirring up a contrail miles long, while you were drooling Skoal down your drawers. You made the front cover of "Western Road Hunter" that year. I still can't figure out if you shot that spike buck or if you ran it over with your pick up while you were stuffing more snuff in your spout.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good one, Suze.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I knew the area because I knew a couple guys that lived there. I was dialed in to a good area. Apparently, resident elk hunters knew of it, too. One of the spots I was told to try looked like a damned parking lot. Nearly all plates were Colorado with Texas plates not too far behind. I didn't even try.

If you didn't try to hunt you shouldn't complain about how bad the hunting was. I have seen a lot of big animals hit the dirt in areas with lots of hunters

If I ever tried to hunt CO again, it would be mule deer in a limited draw area on the west side of the state. If you hunt CO, you probably know of the area of which I'm referring. It's pretty darn popular. It is hard hunting, but there are some big mule deer in there.

You have basically just described everything west of I-25

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Much of southern Idaho's good elk country isn't available to atv's. In some places they're illegal but more often the terrain is just too steep and rocky to use them off the roads. I have a '99 atv and in all those years, I've packed exactly 1 elk with it. The rest have been on by foot or with llamas.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 58 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,257
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.