24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So, I am thinking of selling some guns and have never sold to anyone out of state before. I am located in Utah and am wondering what I should be aware of for out of state guns sales. I assume I can ship direct to the buyers FFL on their behalf? Do I need to have an FFL ship it from my end? Or is this something I can just ship at USPS/FedEx/UPS? anyone done that and have a rough idea of what to expect as far as shipping changes? Wouldn't want to kill myself on the shipping and not factor that into the price..

Do you do bills of sale ahead of time?

Any input or suggestions are much appreciated!

ARIC

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It's reasonably easy if everyone has done their homework ahead of time. Finding a buyer on here is usually a plus, most have experience in the hoops to go through.

Generally for long guns, the buyer needs to contact an FFL in their state that will recieve firearms from an individual from out of state. You generally have to provide a copy of some form of state/govt ID with the shipment. The receiving FFL uses it for their records of who they recieved the firearm from. The firearm ships to the address listed on the FFL, not to the purchaser.

Shipping depends on weight, package size, distance, and carrier. USPS is not my favorite, but an option. UPS is generally the cheapest in my area over FEDEX, figure $45-60 to ship, up to $80 if you need significant insurance.

You should have a copy of the recieving FFL in the package with the copy of your ID to transfer the longgun out of state, and the FFL should send his/her FFL to you. The buyer can send a copy, but it's safer for you if you get it from the FFL direct.

The "ban" states have rules on what can be shipped in, the FFL usually know these firearms and will tell the prospective buyer if they know of an issue. California is usually picked on the most, and hardest because of the changing bans and rules, and the ability to find an FFL that will accept shipments. If you have to go FFL to FFL, expect up to $30 more on the shipping. If you ship from an FFL, you won't get the receiving FFL, your FFL will get it. Leave the package open if you are shipping from an FFL, they need to look at the serial numbers and record the information.

Never ship the firearm before payment clears, once it's gone, it's gone.

Handguns go FFL to FFL 99.99999% of the time, anything else is a risk unless the buyer is an FFL holder. But, they are usually cheaper to ship by size with the different carrier flat rate options. Curios and Relic collectors: The FFL 03 C&R license IS NOT a dealer�s license and the holder of a FFL 03 C&R license IS NOT authorized to engage in business as a dealer of ANY firearms. Just be aware there is a difference between and FFL Dealer, and an C&R holder. Other will chime in on this, but if it's a modern firearm, odds are it needs to go to an FFL.

I'm sure I'm forgetting soemthing, and you should get a discussion going with this. I am not quoting regs, they vary enough by State, that it's pointless to quote them without knowing where and what you are shipping.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/25/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OP-Contact member Bricktop about shipping info.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
OP-Contact member Bricktop about shipping info.

Bricktop does know the shipping rules in and out, and will help.

Hadn't seen him on lately.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys, that doesn't seems so bad. So, if I understand correctly, first line up the buyer and their FFL. Each state may have its own rules, but the receiving FFL should be familiar with their particular state's rules. Also makes sense on waiting for payment to clear. I usually do that when I sell other items as well.

I guess I better get some guns listed then!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always insist on USPS money orders, no exceptions, when selling anything online. They are hard to falsify, and easy to cash. Checks, even "Certified" ones, can be faked, and can take weeks to get back to the bank that they're written on. Your bank may initially credit your account, then after the check bounces, debit your account AND charge you a fee on top of that. USPS money orders can be purchased at any P.O. with cash or a debit card, and sent right from there by Express Mail with tracking. Any buyer that argues with this requirement is likely a scammer.
For shipping, UPS only ships firearms from UPS Customer Service Centers, not UPS stores. I believe that they require Overnight for handguns, which is about $75 or so. Putting a copy of the receiving FFL in the package is a good idea, but also have a copy in hand to show the clerk. The maximum amount UPS will insure for is $1000.
Be prepared for a little trouble at the shipper, as some don' know the rules and may have to call for advice. Give yourself enough time to deal with this. It's not a bad idea to call the shipper directly ahead of time to be sure you know all the rules.
Good luck.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/25/14.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put it in a box, print and attach a UPS shipping label at home, drop it off at your local UPS drop off location.

As drama free as it gets.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,155 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.