Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK , I'm kinda loath to admit it but about a month ago I bought one of those ugly azz Savage 42s at Walmart.
It was on clearance for pennies on the dollar.
It's still in the box , unused & unfired.
Today I take it out & looking it over I notice that the cheap , plastic rear sight is damaged.
I go to the Savage website & no joy finding a replacement.
I call Savage , told them serial # , state I live in , last name & first name. Then the Savage guy says "Do you still live at (insert my address here)"

So Savage Arms knows where I live without me ever telling them.

I guess maybe Walmart gave Savage my address.

The Savage guy said "I'll get that part right out to you" , didn't ask for a credit card number or anything else.

Maybe when Walmart sells a firearm they send warranty info to the manufacturer ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nah, just Big Brother at work. Privacy?? Hah! grin

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/23/14.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Nah, just Big Brother at work. Privacy?? Hah!

I've been on "THE LIST" for a long time , it don't bother me.

Mike

Jerry Miculek
K
kup Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Maybe they were using caller ID?

kup
(coupe)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't believe Walmart would bother sending buyer information to the gun mfr's, there's no point to it.

You sure you were never on a Savage mailing list? Ever order a spare part or accessory from them? Send in a warranty?

Last edited by Calhoun; 07/23/14.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think that's part of your landline phone number info..public domain info, even if your number is unlisted, so he was just looking at caller ID...don't worry, Big Brother is only watching for terrorists, to keep us safe.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
He didn't ask me any questions as to WHY I was looking for a sight , just said "I'll get that part right out to you".

I don't recall ever having had any direct interactions with Savage before.

If it was Caller ID then it's more sophisticated than the Caller ID that I have

Mike

Jerry Miculek
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hmmmmmmmm - Who knows what evil lurks..... wink grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who knows what evil lurks...
The Shadow, and NSA. wink grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
At least Walmart still sells firearms where you live. Be thankful they still sell anything made in the states. A buck for Walmart is a buck for China!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG
At least Walmart still sells firearms where you live. Be thankful they still sell anything made in the states. A buck for Walmart is a buck for China!

Might as well put money in an envelope, address it "China", and throw a stamp on it.

LOL
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I heard that when you call a toll free number they have caller id and your number, name and add. appear on the screen. Did you get that part yet? Savage service is usually pretty good. Mel

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Might as well put money in an envelope, address it "China", and throw a stamp on it.

Walmart parking lots are always packed full of American shoppers. I don't see any chains advertising "Buy USA, pay 2x, keep us fat, happy and lazy"

Welcome to our new world economy.

The Roman Empire ruled the world for 500 years. Nothing last forever.

China is the next world supper power. They are buying up our dollars, lending us cash money and investing in our infrastructure at a truly alarming rate.

They are hungry, ambitious and motivated, like we were...100 years ago....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sorry, OT but I've got to correct your statement. The Roman Empire was founded circa 500 BC and lasted in one form or another until the fall of Byzantium, the capital of the "Eastern Empire" in 1453 AD. That's just a little shy of 2000 years and while after the fall of Rome and the Western Empire they may have no longer "ruled the world" for quite a while after that the "Eastern Empire" continued to rule a good part of it. wink grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Skidrow

Sorry, OT but I've got to correct your statement. The Roman Empire was founded circa 500 BC and lasted in one form or another until the fall of Byzantium, the capital of the "Eastern Empire" in 1453 AD. That's just a little shy of 2000 years and while after the fall of Rome and the Western Empire they may have no longer "ruled the world" for quite a while after that the "Eastern Empire" continued to rule a good part of it. wink grin

Really?

OK:

Jesus Christ: I'm not going to split hairs and debate the dates of it's existence with when it "Ruled the World".

Point being:

That great civilization and culture eventually succumbed to political corruption, decline of infrastructure , unemployment, debt, decline of moral values, separation of wealth, decline of middle class, etc., etc., etc. Human history has seen this movie before and it always ends the same...

So what the hell does any of this have to do with Walmart and Savage?

Sorry Mike...

blush

Last edited by 99guy; 07/26/14.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by melchung
Did you get that part yet? Savage service is usually pretty good. Mel

I just plucked the sight out of the mailbox , so less than a week.

Mike

Jerry Miculek
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
It's all done with magic, Mike.

The only way to avoid it is to move to Alaska or someplace like that and live off the grid, and who wants to live like that? Besides, it wouldn't be long before a reality TV show producer would have a camera stuck up your butt.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live like that Gnoahhh. you have an open invitation to come out and spend some time here. bet you would like it. pitch dark at night and no sirens every 10 minutes.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Really? Why do you think they are selling so much stuff made in China? It's not because they want to prop up China, it's because people don't want to spend more for something made in the USA. If people put their money where their mouth is and only bought stuff made in the USA that is what wal mart would sell. They don't care where the product is made as long as it sells. What would you do if you were them; have shelves full of USA made stuff that doesn't sell because of the price or have 30 turns per year on products made where it can be made cheaper so people actually buy it? If you say the former you're either lying or an idiot!

And the OP bought a Savage rifle made in the USA so the money all stays in the USA. And the rifle is a piece of $hit (sorry OP) but it's a cheap Savage that looks like crap with poor workmanship. Imagine what kind of rifle you could have made in China for the same money?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by reelman

If people put their money where their mouth is and only bought stuff made in the USA that is what wal mart would sell.

I think the problem lies with corporations choosing Chinese products to sell, not the American people choosing them to buy.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.