Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I bought one last week and I am darned impressed with it. I have a 2011 Big Red we use on our cattle operation and I have had a couple Rhinos.. this little UTV blows em away in the woods! It has paddle shifters on the steering wheel.. takes a little getting used to after driving a big red for so long but I really like the standard tranny. I nosed this thing down a ditch on our farm just to see if it would come out (you have to lock the Big Red in when you do this).. the little Pioneer backed right out in 2wd!!! I bought this thing fully rigged out with a top, winch, tires and wheels and windsheld for a lot less than I had in my standard UTV without accessories!!! Check these out if you are in the market for a small UTV!!! This thing will fit in the back of my Superduty!!

GB2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw an ad for one of these the other day. Didn't get into the details of it but saw that it is quite a bit smaller than most UTV's. Sounded like it would be nice on the farm, really don't want a monster utv, just something to take 2 bales (square) of hay out in the winter.

Would be interested to know how you like it the more you use it. Thanks!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have a small cattle operation also.. this little UTV would be perfect for what you are looking for.. it doesn't have a bed..but a huge rack on the back.. I kinda like that as my Big Red cargo bed stays full of stuff all the time.. everything from fencing stuff to feed.. not too mention the junk that accumulates. The shifting is the biggest thing that you have to get used to, you can shift it like a 4 wheeler or you can stay on the gas and shift and it will shift smoothly. The fuel shuts off just a split second to make sure it shifts smoothly. I believe it is going to be awesome in the woods as it is so narrow. It is light enough so that all you need for a winch is a 2500lb.. One thing that people on the net are complaining about is that it doesn't have a locker in the front. I don't think that is going to be a problem as this thing is so light.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of people complain about Hondas not having a locker, I don't think it's that big a deal unless you doing a lot of heavy mud riding.

One thing that little 500 Pioneer is going to need is some protection up front, that radiator is really exposed.

Doesn't say if it has power steering or not, would be a good addition if it did.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I don't mudride anymore.. it doesn't have power steering..but it turns very easy. My winch and I bought the bumper also is going to be infront of the radiator. I heard the same stuff when I bought my first Rhino and we used them to hog hunt out of for years.. we busted a lot of stuff.. but never a radiator. I have a stainless steel truck type bumper on my Big Red holding my 4000 warn.. if that radiator is a problem..I will get my buddy to fabricate me a guard of some type.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was just going by what I could see in the picture, the radiator appears to not have much protection in front of it but pics can be deceiving.

My buddy ran a pretty good sized stick into his radiator on his Rhino a while back, luckily he wasn't far from his truck when it happened.

I love my Rhino but would have thrown down on a 700 Pioneer had the dealer done his part.

Honda stepped it up with their 2015 models, I may end up buying one of their new Rubicons down the road.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
My brother is one of the managers at the local Honda/Yamaha dealership and is excited about the new Hondas coming out. I had been talking about getting one of these Pioneer 500's ever since I had seen the advertisement. The first 2 of these were sold before they even got to Texarkana.. they got an extra one that they didn't know they were getting and my bro called me and said that if I wanted one I better act fast as this little sucker is neat. First thing I have ever bought that I didn't test drive first!! I had three Rhinos before I got my Big Red.. if you switch to a Honda the first thing you are going to notice is that it is a lot quieter and the fluid tranny is better in the woods than the belt driven rig. I cant wait to get this thing in the woods.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by southarkrob
.... The shifting is the biggest thing that you have to get used to, you can shift it like a 4 wheeler or you can stay on the gas and shift and it will shift smoothly. The fuel shuts off just a split second to make sure it shifts smoothly. .....

Yeah, the shifting would be a change. I don't mind shifting but I really like the 4 wheel engine braking with a CVT and would miss that when going downhill in rough terrain.

The front does look exposed on the pics I've seen but it's hard to tell from pictures on the net. Will have to check one out in person.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
131 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.