-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cat's are great,,, to big for my tastes these days though.

Buddy's got one that's awful hard on Coon and Skunks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you don't care if it hunts and just looking for company, get a stuffed dog.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give the cocker spaniel to the pants (wife) and get yourself a lab, like this one, he use to love to go for rides in my truck.

[Linked Image]

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Much good advice already given.

I have seen some outstanding beagle-Jack Russel crosses. We, personally, owned two beagle-cocker crosses that were great dogs.

A beagle is a 25 pound dog with a 125 pound voice. Terriers are ferocious defenders and very attuned to scratching noises.

A beagle sized dog is about the minimum size dog that is practical in Michigan. Shorter and they don't want to go out in the snow to do their necessary business. Lighter and they get too cold, too quickly.

We are currently a German Shepherd family and will probably stay that way. Unless you have very high quality information, most mutts are a crap shoot because you do not really know the male parent(s).

We also once picked up a dog from the pound. In hindsight, I am 90% sure that the original owners dumped the dog because it would vomit pools of phlegm from May 15 until July 1. Folks with fancy houses and lots of carpet cannot work around that issue. We figured out a way but it was a pain in the butt.

In the end, dogs are individuals. Every breed or cross has good individuals....ones that would die for you and you, in return, would kill for them...and ones that are an embarrassment to the species.

Super-popular breeds, especially ones that just recently ascended to peak popularity (like the French Bulldog), and super-rare breeds have more than their fair share of clunkers. The super-popular because unscrupulous breeders breed every fertile bitch to cash in while they can. The super-rare (like foxhounds) because of the narrow gene pool.

An exception is if you know that most of the dogs are NOT registered but are owned by people who work them and cull ruthlessly. For example, people who hunt raccoons or keep ratting terriers in barns seldom care about "papers". They care about dogs that get the job done. You are blessed if people like this will sell you a puppy.

It is my unscientific opinion that you are very likely to be a happy man if you choose any breed that has been popular for more than 20 years and is in the top 20 registered breeds Link . A further piece of advice is to pick a dog that looks like, well, a dog. Dogs that have punched in noses or other extreme features have "issues" and are often in-bred. English Bulldog and Basset Hounds is an example of this kind of dog.

Best regards and good fortune

-Joe

Last edited by JoeMama; 07/25/14.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Get a Chiweenie. Thank me later. grin

Little rifles, Little dogs, and Big Girls, I always say... laugh

[Linked Image]

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My first dog was a Cocker. A tough, rangy, hunting SOB he was. If for some reason he was chained up when I came outdoors with a gun, he went ballistic. I miss that dog...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Id get a heeler for a truck/companion/watch dog.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Another vote for a heeler, or Aussie Shepard.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by JoeMama
Much good advice already given.

I have seen some outstanding beagle-Jack Russel crosses. We, personally, owned two beagle-cocker crosses that were great dogs.

A beagle is a 25 pound dog with a 125 pound voice. Terriers are ferocious defenders and very attuned to scratching noises.

A beagle sized dog is about the minimum size dog that is practical in Michigan. Shorter and they don't want to go out in the snow to do their necessary business. Lighter and they get too cold, too quickly.

We are currently a German Shepherd family and will probably stay that way. Unless you have very high quality information, most mutts are a crap shoot because you do not really know the male parent(s).

We also once picked up a dog from the pound. In hindsight, I am 90% sure that the original owners dumped the dog because it would vomit pools of phlegm from May 15 until July 1. Folks with fancy houses and lots of carpet cannot work around that issue. We figured out a way but it was a pain in the butt.

In the end, dogs are individuals. Every breed or cross has good individuals....ones that would die for you and you, in return, would kill for them...and ones that are an embarrassment to the species.

Super-popular breeds, especially ones that just recently ascended to peak popularity (like the French Bulldog), and super-rare breeds have more than their fair share of clunkers. The super-popular because unscrupulous breeders breed every fertile bitch to cash in while they can. The super-rare (like foxhounds) because of the narrow gene pool.

An exception is if you know that most of the dogs are NOT registered but are owned by people who work them and cull ruthlessly. For example, people who hunt raccoons or keep ratting terriers in barns seldom care about "papers". They care about dogs that get the job done. You are blessed if people like this will sell you a puppy.

It is my unscientific opinion that you are very likely to be a happy man if you choose any breed that has been popular for more than 20 years and is in the top 20 registered breeds Link . A further piece of advice is to pick a dog that looks like, well, a dog. Dogs that have punched in noses or other extreme features have "issues" and are often in-bred. English Bulldog and Basset Hounds is an example of this kind of dog.

Best regards and good fortune

-Joe

FWIW, great words...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Bluedreaux. As a pup he'd bay our kids if they got too far ahead of us on hikes. Smartest dog I've ever seen.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What an awesome looking beast!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What about a Boykin Spaniel?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a mountain cur and a healer/border collie cross, both are good truck dogs

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Heelers are good dogs but they leave a lot to be desired when it comes to actually driving the truck.

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
It appears the silly bitch dropped half your load onto the ground.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Absolutely need a heeler. Im also a big fan of the JRT. I own two terriers and 1 heeler, a real man will not go wrong with these two creatures.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Of course, everyone thinks theirs is the best. Take my advice and get a "Seeing eye dog". They are easy keepers and can drive you home when you are drunk. On top of that, if you do get in a wreck, the "Seeing eye dog" can get you home safely if you can still walk...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw a dog this afternoon with no back legs, with it's hind end strapped to a two wheeled cart rig, chugging along with only it's two front feet.

And the owner gave me a dirty look when I stared.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anderson Pooper..?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
RWE- Im with all those that said a heeler.

Caveat: you need to do your homework and be smarter than the dog.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,096
Posts18,464,125
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.