Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Last year in ML opening day, I got in a mule rodeo wreck. Cracked rib, compression fracture of spine between my shoulder blades, bruised internal organs, and torn up left leg.

I got back to camp, took some Vicodin and it didn't feel all that bad. Saddled up and hunted Sunday and Monday. Tuesday morning the pain form the cracked rib took hold and I had to go into Craig ER room.

Took some more pain meds, but had to come home Thursday.

This year due to torn tendons in my shoulders, I am probably going to have to sue my 6.5 Swede or 44 mag carbine for elk and the .5 for pronghorn and deer.

ML season is coming up and that is going to be a challenge. I might have to try shooting left handed.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/27/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Was supposed to go hunting with my dad once, but woke up early and deathly ill. Called my dad told him I wasn't going to make it. Got up a few hours later to get a drink and there stands a damn deer at the edge of my yard. I told that deer I was just sick, not dead and went downstairs, grabbed the gun and shot that one from my front steps.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've learned (hopefully) to be more careful hunting sick. On an early bear hunt a couple years ago I climbed the ridge to the blind in about 20 minutes with a fairly full pack. About an hour into the hunt I had to hit the bushes -- something I have never done in my life. Like clockwork it hit every 45 minutes. After 5 hours I left and said I would be back at nightfall, and continued to loose fluids in similar fashion at the same interval all day long.

To say it felt like the flu is an understatement -- I was totally crushed. But I had to go back out to get my buddy that evening (it was his first big game hunt ever). So eventually I was standing at the bottom of the same ridge with a much lighter pack. After 10 minutes I had to drop to my knees and rest every 10 'steps'. Using trekking poles. I made the ridge in 2 1/4 hours, in another place entirely from the blinds. Fortunately I correctly surmised I had gone too far 'right' and floundered down the ridge until I found my buddy. At that time I was 90% incapacitated. We left that night with him driving.

Real danger here was minimal since I could have, at any time, simply turned downhill and ended up at a road. But lots of my hunting is done where there are no roads, and on ridges that I could not have navigated. With Arizona temps and dehydration in the mix, you have a recipe for dead old men. So I stay home or in camp when sick. Sometimes you have to loose to win.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
This might be my year. Mortons neuroma left foot. Right bicept ruptured, torn labrum and torn rotator cuff and will shoot my bow right handed. And to add insult to injury just herniated a disc. NM 16A archery first hunt, will be there. Managing so far.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Went on a Flyfishing expedition to uncharted territory in Northwestern Russia. We were doing exploratory fishing for Gary Loomis and his partner from Finland to find the best Atlantic Salmon fishing spots on the Ponoy river. I cast so much line with a 9 weight rod in the wind, I got the worst case of tennis elbow you could ever experience.

Tennis elbow may not sound like much, but let me tell you, kidney stones aren't worse...

Anyhow, stateside, we decide to go fish the Bighorn River a couple days, then head farther East for Antelope. My elbow hurt so bad and the fishing was so good, I was whining like a girl. I would sit in the boat for a stretch, see fish rising everywhere and get up and cast to the fish. Then I would piss my waders, sit down and moan. Del couldn't take it any more and so we headed antelope hunting a day early...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I hunted on cool damp deer season with pneumonia. I arrived Sunday afternoon, stayed on porch as the cabin was way too hot and dry to breath. cough and ached through the night in the only unheated room(loft) Went out 100 yds. behind the cabin, Shot a wounded doe in the head with an xp100, had my dad (60s at the time) help me drag it to my truck and I drove back home.... miserable but productive. Also Hunted on Chincoteague Island for sika deer with a broken wrist and a knee in need of surgery.... Fun trip but not as productive. Climbed a tree and could not get back down. finally just kinda half fell out and limped back to truck and pretty much gave up.....

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BCJR: Seeings I have been Hunting (virtually year round!) since I was a young teenager (55 years now) I feel lucky in that I have only had two Hunting seasons "interupted" by medical issues!
First instance occurred on August 22nd of 2,008 when a Rattlesnake bit me in the arch of my foot. I missed the Antelope season that year, I missed the fall Black Bear season. I missed the archery and Rifle seasons for Deer and Elk in fact I could NOT get a normal shoe (or Hunting boot!) on the afflicted foot for 98 days!
I went along on a couple of Hunts with friends and one Hunt on my own but never left the confines of the trucks cabs!
I could have shot a dandy 4x4 Mule Deer with eyeguards from the truck about Thanksgiving time but feared for getting frostbite in my "slippered" foot if I got out to care for said Buck, so held fire - still fun though to be so close to such a nice Buck.
Then in 2,011 I came out of my high country backpack Archery Elk Hunting camp dehydrated and in pain and promptly installed myself in the first of three hospitals and four operations for a 2 month long ordeal with Kidney Stones!
No Rifle Hunting that year and I missed out on any Hunting in a coveted limited draw Mule Deer permit I drew for the first time here in SW Montana!
That hurt almost as much as the Kidney Stones!
Oh well... take the good with the bad.
I hope your "curse" has run its course and best of luck to you this season!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had an ACL replaced just before hunting season one year. It's all mountains here and I had to be VERY careful on the crutches going up and down hills on wet leaves. My arm pits were sore from the crutches. Dragging a deer on crutches ain't no joke...

When I was in high school, my Dad and I take a trip to hunt a management area we'd never hunted one weekend. We camp and go out the next morning. No idea what the area is like, etc. Just pick a general direction, climb a tree before daylight, and try to stay away from all the other hunters. He tells me he climbs a tree but has to cut a small limb so he can get a little higher. Finally gets set before daylight and can hear something walking under his tree in the leaves. It's killing him to find out what it is as it's a constant step, step, step but doesn't seem to be going anywhere. As it starts to get daylight he can't see anything...then sees all the blood and realizes it's blood dripping from his finger he cut when he cut the limb. He bandages it up with a piece of his shirttail and can't feel the end of it at all. He still has no feeling in the end of that finger and a pretty good scar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

About four years ago I was on a SW CO mule deer hunt. The first morning we saw a big, wide four-by-four I decided I could take; he ran into a golden, cottonwood filled creek bottom and we decided to stalk through later in the afternoon and find him bedded if we could.

We found him, spotting his antler tips swiveling next to an ancient cottonwood, about a hundred yards ahead. I set up on a bipod, fully standing as it was the only shot in that brush, and intent on waiting him out. He finally stood probably only a half hour later and I nailed him before he took ten steps. We then had to cross the ice cold stream which was about knee deep; we had thought he was on our side. I was soaked to just above the knees.

After pictures, it was dusk and we had to again cross the stream again now dragging the carcass back with us. With the increased struggling I was now soaked to the thighs.

At supper I began to feel feverish and thus began the worse head cold I've ever had; it lasted about ten days with all orifices draining fluid at an amazing rate and a throat that even made tea feel like coarse sandpaper on. I bailed on helping my buddy a couple of days while he struggled to find a good buck. I was too busy taking decongestants and aspirin and blowing snot like a rutting bull.

He even drove the fourteen hours home while I slept. The cold water soaking was incidental to being infected with a virus earlier I'm sure and there was nothing to do but drink tea, a toddy or two, and wait it out. But the cold surely didn't help and it was a miserable week and a half.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
8 or 9 years ago they augered my sinuses and I wasn't 100%. Things broke loose pretty bad when I shot, the Dr. was pissed.

7 or 8 years ago I discovered a hernia in July, my only question was "will I be able to pack in by hunting season".

2 years ago my shoulder was jacked. I couldn't shoulder a gun but packed one anyway and didn't tell anyone else. My buddy got suspicious when I found one and said "go ahead and take him". Had my shoulder operated on in Dec.

I've run a mild fever a time or two and had chorro but nothing too serious as far as illness.

Pretty lucky, all things considered.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About 20 years ago on an elk hunt in Colorado my brother developed altitude sickness and had to go to the hospital.

Las August my s-i-l tore an Achilles tendon out of one foot and couldn't go moose hunting. He was thoroughly p.o.

On our way to the same hunt (750 miles one way to our fly in point) I started developing signs of gout. Hadn't had problems in years. I didn't think anything of it and didn't try to see a doctor en route. Turned out to be a major problem and I didn't get to hunt one day of our trip. Fortunately for me the weather was moderate so I would take a book, a chair, a coffee or soft drink along with my binoculars and sit out near the dock. The only thing I did do was to fish for about 4 hours one afternoon. The only thing that really ticked me off was the fact I couldn't get to either of the kill sites where two of our hunters got their first moose.

I guess this is one blessing of getting old. I found I still enjoyed the trip apart from the pain in my foot and not having my s-I-l along.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In late October we went hunting to find my friend's brother his non-trophy sheep (ewe). It was one of those days where if it wasn't snowing, it was raining, or so foggy, it would have been drier if it was raining. I had not yet discovered (mid 80s) synthetic underwear. Everything I wore was really some variation of cotton, except for my "rain jacket" which was really nothing but a rubber coated nylon sweat machine. Early afternoon, we had found tracks and I urged him to follow them through the thick timber. I had already killed my ewe a couple of weeks before, so I had no dog in the fight, but i was still annoyed when we jumped them at like 25 yards. The fool didn't see them and when he did, he short shucked his Remington 700 7RM. He never did get a shot off. Pissed me off. I could have killed several, but I wanted to obey the law and also, I thought he wouldn't appreciate the 25-06 going off beside his ear. We were close to the sheep sanctuary and the sheep ran there and were safe from us. We headed back to the truck to head home and get warm. He left me in the truck with the heater on high while he went to talk to some horsemen who had the good sense to stay in their wall tents. They got into the whiskey and I shivered in the truck for two hours before we headed home. Once I had taken off the rain jacket at the truck, I could not get warm. When I got home, I climbed into a warm tub and gradually increased the heat. It took a long time for me to warm up. I can't remember if I got sick, but that is the closest I have been to hypothermia (maybe it was). I have been a big advocate of synthetics ever since.

In 1989 I had a mule deer buck tag in a special draw area. During antelope season I had seen a real nice one. It had snowed the night before opening day and as I searched (and did not find) the buck, the snow began to melt. On a coulee slope I stepped on a willow branch under the snow. That leg went shooting out from under me. The planted leg collapsed and as my boot passed my shoulder blades, I heard a distinct pop! pop! accompanied by significant pain in my afflicted ankle. Only time I have heard that popping sound is when bones etc have broken. Eventually the pain began to dissipate and I began to consider getting my boot out from under my shoulder blades (I ain't very flexible, I'm still not sure how that happened). Once that was done, I stood up and tried weight on my left ankle. Painful, but tolerable and I did not seem to be doing more damage to it. Standing up, I had enough elevation to stare across the large coulee and view my 77 Corolla hunting rig. With the naked eye, it was just a silver speck in the distance. I hobbled back and then hunted close to the car until dark. I drove for a field trip that weekend to earn some extra cash, and then went out on Remembrance Day, still gimpy, but I killed my first 4x4 MD. smile Makes you think about the safety of hunting by yourself. No cell phones/coverage back then either.

In 1991, I suffered a bulging disk about belt high in September. I missed only 2 days of work (what an idiot) and after rehabbing (such as it was back then) I was deer hunting in November. After traipsing through tough snow, we were resting on the tail gate, when I went to stand up, I very nearly passed out from the sudden pain. It passed and I continued hunting that day.

In 2000, I severely broke my right ankle/fibula in an Easter snow ball fight. It was a bitch. I destroyed so much ligaments that took forever to heal after the surgery to rebuild the ankle. Rehab was almost worse for pain as the physio NAZI tried to break down the scar tissue. Even in November, that ankle was very uncomfortable walking in cultivated fields.

On July 22, 2005, my life changed forever. I blew out my L4-L5 disk baddd! Lost feeling in my left leg almost immediately and severe stabbing pain at the belt line if I tried to put weight on my left leg (I could't feel the floor at this time). Emergency surgery on the 23rd, but I still got cauda equina syndrome (look it up, you don't want it). I was released tom hospital after two weeks. I was using a walker and peeing through a rubber hose. I watched lots of Randy Anderson "Calling All Coyotes" videos. That was motivation to get ready for hunting. I was told three months to recover, but that was before the cauda equina etc. I set that as my goal and I went to physio with a purpose. It was very exciting when I could move my left leg unassisted. By November, I had ditched the walker, but still used a cane (and would for another 18 months). The rubber hose was still mandatory. A good friend took me out hunting. I darn near got a decent mule deer, but couldn't get a shot before it wandered out of sight. We later found some handicapped whitetails (they didn't run like normal) that we drove relatively close to, then I hobbled to a handy round bale, leaned against it and shot a buck. The friend kindly processed the deer for me. I am still gimpy from the back injury, but hunt slower and smarter and think about the retrieve more than before. Game carts, sleds and my girls help. Life is good. Hey, I even hunted Africa this year!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wrote this out from the July 2014 Safari Times. I think old Craig Boddington nailed it. Enjoy!

PASSION FOR A LIFETIME
By Craig Boddington
Safari Times July 2014

There were so many wonderful years when I was the �new kid� on the gunwriters� block. Those days are over. I don�t dwell on it, but tomorrows no longer exceed yesterdays. Hey, life is good. I have noticed that hills and mountains are becoming higher and steeper, but I can still hike and climb and (usually) shoot straight. But the signs are there. I can�t run like I used to, and dropping into the sitting position isn�t quite as simple as it once was.

Actually, we�re fortunate. Well, maybe we�re not. Professional athletes get paid the absurd sums; we pay to pursue our sport. But let�s look at it another way. In serious contact sports few athletes compete past their 30s� and there are almost no �popular� sports that people into their 50s can compete seriously. As we know too well, hunting is not a �popular sport,� at least in some areas. It is certainly not a spectator sport. Actually, whether it�s properly defined as a sport, or better understood as a passion, lifestyle or innate necessity, hunting has one great advantage: There is no age limit!

Simply put, you may hunt as long as you can, and this is very different among individuals. Also, there�s hunting and then there�s hunting. Over the decades at our Convention I�ve had so many people tell me they were saving Africa until later� because it was �easier�. Yeah, some of it is, but I always wonder if those people are thinking about tracking Lord Derby eland or buffalo, or hunting bongo in Africa�s great forests.

It is much the same with all the other continents, including our own. Some hunts are generally easy; others are generally more difficult. Hunting luck being as it is, sometimes the easy ones are hard, and vice versa. If I had a perfect plan, I�d hunt North America first as the most difficult continent. Then Asia, and then all the rest. But that plan doesn�t work for many of us; we hunt as we can, we hunt with our friends, and there are progressions in what and where we wish to hunt. And at some point each and all of us will run out of time.

The thing is: The variance is great, so we have no idea when that might occur. All of us have lost friends much too young; and seen older people give up when, just perhaps, they didn�t really have to. Obviously, one must have something to live for, and I submit that hunting is not only an atavistic and natural part of humanity� but a part that imposes no mandatory retirement.

I was at my booth at our convention this year when a man approached somewhat shyly and asked if I could autograph a book for his dad. Well, that�s a trigger; this guy was at least my age, probably older, and he still had a dad. I wish I did! (Especially my dad!) So we talked for a bit, and he told me that his dad had tagged three whitetail bucks all by himself during the recent season� and that the book was a gift for his dad�s 100th birthday, coming up quickly.
Uh, wow! He sent me a photo, and I wonder if I have a photo of America�s oldest living hunter? Clyde Roberts, God bless you, and may He give you many more seasons (and many more bucks)!

I didn�t think about this a great deal� it isn�t depressing, but it is mystical in that none of us know how much time remains (so best make use of what we have!); and, unfortunately and inconsistently, the passage of time affects all of us differently.

And so I wound up at Marcelo Sodiro�s camp in Argentina�s Santa Fe province with Harley Young, a friend from many conventions� and let�s just say an octogenarian. Hell, outfitters are starting to worry about what I am capable of doing! Harley is 20 years older and perfectly capable of doing a great many things in our hunting world. True, some of the toughest mountain hunting is behind him (and possibly behind me!), but there is still so much hunting that can be done� and Harley Young understands that.

He is booking hunts, mounting trophies and making plans when so many of his contemporaries are concerned about buying green bananas! And so are many of our SCI members in his age group. For the record, hunting with Marcelo Sodiro, Harley took a great red stag on his second day, and then sort of vacillated between axis deer and water buffalo. On his fourth day, I was with him when we penetrated a huge flooded marsh and, after an absurd stalk in knee-deep mud, he took an exceptional water buffalo. I was not with him on the last evening, when he finally took the axis deer he�d been looking for� but he obviously didn�t need my help. And that�s the point, isn�t it? We�re fortunate to have the passion we have, because it carries no mandatory retirement and no time limits. Thank God!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fall of 2008 I hadn't been feeling right for a while but had promised a co-worker to take him deer hunting. Opening day we walked a mile into an area and hunted for a while. I was having trouble keeping up but he shot his first deer. After the drag out I couldn't seem to catch my breath. After dressing the deer out I was a feeling better so headed across the state to hunt with my brother-in-law. Shot a small buck on the day before Thanksgiving. After having Thanksgiving at my daughter's house I developed chest pains and wound up in the ER. Seems I had suffered a heart attack some time in the last week. Had quintuple by-pass 2 days later. I always blamed that on dragging my friend's deer out. Lesson learned...Pay attention to what your body is telling you!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was too blind to drive for 18 months, totally blind at times with a messed up thyroid. Muddled thinking, hot and cold flashes, with extreme double vision. Each eye was slow to acquire or decipher specific items and had uneven focus. I had to select one of the two visions and then take time and tilt my head around and find a spot that was less blurry.

My son talked me into going hunting anyway on a mule deer permit we'd both drawn before I got sick. He found a minutes old buck track in fresh snow and I held on to the hem of his jacket while he tracked it on relatively good ground. Within 60 yards he spotted the buck ahead of us feeding in a sage meadow amid pines.

I leaned on a tree, screwed my head around till scope and eye found a sweet spot of focus and missed my first shot at 208 yards. The forkhorn lifted his head and stepped more into the open broadside. My second shot killed him, hit within an inch of where I called the shot.

I've killed bigger bucks but none more significant to me. My son asked "How did you miss the whole deer the first shot and then hit within an inch of aim on your second?" He says that I gave the buck a warning shot, which was real sporting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can be sick anytime, but the states dictate I hunt during rather brief periods. If the season is open, I'm going hunting. Fortunately, I heal and recover quickly, so I've got nothing to contribute. Never slept in or missed day of hunting or fishing.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/29/14.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last fall I had some buddies coming up to go waterfowl hunting the day before pheasant opener. I'd been feeling a little crappy for a couple of days prior to the day that we were to waterfowl hunt. Couldn't eat and miserable stomach pains. Woke up the day of the waterfowl hunt at 4am with a terrible pain in my lower right abdomen. Figured I could just tough it out and I'd feel better after I shot some birds and got some fresh air. By the time I had my gear together and was ready to head out the door, I decided I better go to the emergency room instead. The boy ended up taking the guys hunting for the weekend and I got to have an emergency appendectomy for a burst appendix. 2 weeks later I was hunting again.

A few years before that, I was playing volleyball and my right knee went south on me. Popped loud and seemed to turn way farther than it should. Swelled up for six months and it still locks up and retains fluid. I hunted the next day though. Walked several miles, crossing streams and washes was the toughest part of it. Knee wouldn't bend at all for months. Still need to get to the doctor for that one day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have felt it coming on for a while and a few weeks ago was diagnosed with sciatica - pretty painful. 10 years ago I was running marathons but today I can't walk but a couple hundred yards without stopping to let the pain subside. The doctors have been experimenting with one thing and then another. I hope that perhaps I can get a shot of cortizone (or something like it) before the hunt. If nothing works then maybe I can follow the lake shoreline with my kayak and catch elk when they come to water. I'm not sure I can learn to sit still for long periods.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That sciatica sucks, Alamosa. Having some right now as a matter of fact. I truly hope you find some relief for yours. Mine is just a temporary flare up, the aftermath of seven back surgeries.

One year out in western CO for first season elk I contracted a lower GI bug (not giardia) and lost 17 lbs in 3 days going from 170 to 153 lbs. The worst night of it was when our furnace quit in the camper and I spent the entire night sitting on the crapper in 20 degree temps blowing my guts out through my butt, the room spinning and my head feeling like someone was beating on it from the inside with a sledge hammer.
The next day we drove into Montrose for some fluids and immodium and I sat it out. The following day between bouts of the squirts I managed to fill my cow tag. Git-R-Done!

This is a great thread and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who will let something minor (pretty much anything short of death eek ) stop me from hunting. I've got some other stupid stubborn hunting stories but that is my best one.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Went and saw the surgeon today ,hernia surgery on the 25th AFTER I GET BACK FROM SHEEP HUNTING. He told me I shouldn't go , I laughed at him. He shook his head , we both laughed , he understood , and for that alone I figure he must be a good doctor!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.