Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22

You the prick that won't pull over and shut it off? Is it because you feel you've been ridiculously 'inflated' from behind?Maybe YOU should hunt 'somewhere else' where you can afford it......

Why are you up on your "high horse" on a jetting a carb question? If your horses are so scared of atv's leave in the damn trailer and walk. Better yet, don't take them where folks are using atv's.

I'd just as soon see all the horses turned into glue and dog food because I have no use for them, but don't come on a horse thread and tell you that just
because I don't like them.

Hopefully you slept off the whiskeythat pissed you off so much last night and are in a better mood today.

Last edited by tzone; 07/26/14.

Camp is where you make it.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tzone, I don't get how you think that I hate ATV's. I love the damn things. Ya don't have to feed and pick up their chit all year. What I do hate, are the guys that don't ride/use them responsibly. And it wasn't just a 'jetting' question. He also asked what we think. I told him what I thought. And for bea and justin and others to assume we hate non-res hunters is laughable. What we hate is, guys that think that because their licenses cost more than a resident, it automatically gives them special priveleges. I reckon you'll just have to believe me when I say I wasn't pissed, or drunk. Just a guy giving his thoughts on the subject, AS ASKED.....

Get over your hatred of horses. There is NO glue shortage yet....

R
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
huntsman 22, I hope your not as " big a douche" as u come accross to be.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Seems pussies are always looking for a douche.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nah. I'm just a little feller.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by robinhedd

It is 'you're', 'you', and 'across'. What's 'big a'? Maybe the underlying reason ATV abuse is rampant, is that some of the owners can't spell, or 'read' the regs, regarding their use. I never considered THAT line of reasoning before.....

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Pretty sure the OP isn't 80.

Obviously you've never had the joy of getting up at 4:00 am, hiking a mile or more to an early morning spot on a rim before dawn and then at first light, some [bleep] from out of state rolls up on the other side on his noisy ATV, oblivious to the fact that he just pushed all the elk out of the drainage.

I have.

I have too. The last time it was a guy from New York and I gave him a earful.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
One of the stranger aspects of ATV use- and I've spent most of my life in elk country, often hunting public land- is that, if you were trying to design a machine for the purpose of spooking elk, it would look, sound & smell like an ATV. The reason their use isn't even MORE restricted, I think, is that the
goal of hunting in CO is not to harvest game. The goal is collecting revenue. As long as ATVs are used within the stated laws, the state is perfectly pleased to have more hunters unsuccessful, as long as more licenses are sold. It's the licenses that are sold that matters, nothing else. Can't blame anybody for doing what the state is selling.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kend
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Pretty sure the OP isn't 80.

Obviously you've never had the joy of getting up at 4:00 am, hiking a mile or more to an early morning spot on a rim before dawn and then at first light, some [bleep] from out of state rolls up on the other side on his noisy ATV, oblivious to the fact that he just pushed all the elk out of the drainage.

I have.

I have too. The last time it was a guy from New York and I gave him a earful.

I have too. The guy was from Big Sandy, MT.

The day before I had hiked up to the head of a drainage, dropped into another drainage and bivouacked. Next day had elk fixing to run over me and I stopped one.

You have to use those ATV's to your advantage. wink grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't have much use for them, but as long as they are kept on the trails on public land, I have no beef.

However that is usually not the case.

The negative replies that some have given are not just an opinion that they woke up one morning and decided they disliked ATV's. They come from bad experience.

Yea the OP asked about re-jetting, but just maybe these replies will get him to use his ATV responsibly.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Funny, growing up in Moffat County, sometimes working as a "guide" when a teenager, non-residents used to be blamed for all kinds of bad-doings that were generally traced back to CO residents, mostly from east of the divide. Now I live in little Rio Blanco County, which produces around 20% of the state elk harvest from a fairly small area. Don't see many slob hunters
without CO plates, and a large proportion of those aren't east-slope people, anymore. Maybe it's most abused by those who live close enough to feel a right to it, but not close enough to feel responsible?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by McInnis

Used to be that people could come here and ask honest questions without getting piled on by know-it-alls. I wish that hadn't changed.

The same question would have gotten the same response here 10 years ago too. wink

But, just maybe, if it had been asked in the ATV forum yesterday, or 10 years ago, the question would have been answered by ATV enthusiasts rather than who answered it here. smile http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/28/1/Horses_and_ATV_s

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
when hunting Elk in Colorado during the late season i have run into more locals on snowmobiles than any ATV during any other season

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Snowmobiles are permitted on a lot more trails than ATVS. One example is Rabbit Ears pass, east of Steamboat Springs. There are dedicated snowmobile trails and cross country ski trails, but ATV's are not permitted. Same thing on Vail and Monarch Pass.

Once there is sufficient snow on the ground, snowmobiles do far less damage to the land than ATV's.

Concerning your previous post. Locals do get it about NR tags sales, but NR's don't get it usually that just because they pay exorbitant tag fees does not give them some free pass.

If NR sales went down, trust me, residents would take up the slack. In addition fewer tags would mean fewer hunters which would mean fewer WCO's to enforce the laws so CPW could get by with less money.

This is just another person 1500 miles away trying to explain how Colorado should run their Game Department when they don't live here and suffer the problems or don't know all the laws.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by robinhedd

It is 'you're', 'you', and 'across'. What's 'big a'? Maybe the underlying reason ATV abuse is rampant, is that some of the owners can't spell, or 'read' the regs, regarding their use. I never considered THAT line of reasoning before.....

Huntsman 22: Really wasn't my intent to open up a can. I really don't think I did. I wasn't asking your onpinion on taking the ATV or not, I was asking your opinion on re-jetting or not.

Well anyhow: I'm 38 years old & in the best shape of my life. I think I can handle anything that u can. (Packing out an elk on my back or whatever)

Huntsman 22, I'm sure you have a lot of elk hunting experience, I'm glad we've made friends. I guess u don't get my Southern humor or slang. I guess I'll have to use proper grammar on my threads that you are lurking on.

Cheers

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm glad we're buddies now, too. You'll prolly be coming right by the place on the way to Co. Stop by for a visit, or place to camp on the way to the hills, or on the way home.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I detest atvs and wish they'd be banned on public ground during hunting season.

The end. grin

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Colorado does allow you to drive 100 yards off trail to retrieve game.

I took my unjetted Kawasaki 650 up there in '09 to around 7000 feet and was thankful for every cc. It felt like I was driving a 500.

Last I checked they don't close public land to other forums of recreation during hunting seasons. I say, as long as you follow the rules, run them trails to your harts content. If the locals don't like it they can hunt somewhere else. They don't have to pay the ridiculously inflated nonresident tag prices.

Once again, don't know about CO.

But in this part of Id the USFS roads and fire trails are open to motorized traffic. Until hunting season, that is. At which time a stake is driven into the turn off for the secondary roads and motorized travel is forbidden.

Funny thing though, when hunting from horse back or traveling on those closed roads, there sure are a lot of fresh ATV tracks on the ground.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm as much of a motorhead as anyone, but ATV's are strictly for game retrieval during hunting season. Period. They're also okay if you want to have less impact than driving a pickup or four-wheel-drive CAR somewhere to position yourself.
I remember some folks from Wisconsin, they pulled into our range at Steamboat (pay to shoot on the honor system, they had NOT). RV, trailer full of quads.
So, they are banging away, and they'd unloaded a quad and were RIDING IT up to the 100 yard backers. In the GUMBO, making the GUMBO way WORSE.
Oh, was I hot. The sheriff was a mile or so down the highway, so I said, darn, I forgot something.
Zoomed off to the SO, said come back to the range in about 10 minutes, zoomed back. Started setting up, said, welcome to Colorado, whereyafrum etc etc. Oh, do you have your shooting chits? Oh, you don't? Well, we keep the gate open for you guys and five bucks is cheap.
So, in the meantime, the bickering starts, and one of them gets on the ATV and starts heading to the backers. WTF?
About that time, an SO unit comes in from the west (opposite direction, a radio dispatch I found out later) and comes cruising up.
Hi how ya doing? Hi Dave! Hi Deputy Jim.
Deputy Jim was busy writing for a few minutes.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
Most of these negative replies are coming from Locals who just don't get it . It is out of state hunter who pay for most of their game management. I would love to here what they would have to say if all non resident hunter stayed home for a few years and then watch the Fish & Game transfer the full bill for game management to the local residents. They would be begging for non-residents to return. Where they like out of state hunters are not, the state and local business needs them or they would go bankrupt .

So you're basically saying that Coloradans owe a debt of Gratitude to out of state Texan hunters,..who, in general, finance most of the elk and deer hunting opportunities that Coloradans enjoy.?

eek grin

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
264 members (1minute, 45_100, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.