Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This fall will be my first at backpack hunting. I have down several base camp trips but never spiked out from there. My hunting bud and I finally feel we are ready to take this on. Obviously our gear that we have had packed in on previous trips is not what is needed (wall tents & cots) for a true �everything you have is on your back� type hunt. I have been getting gear and hitting the gym like no one�s business. The last 2 pieces I need is a quality sleeping bag & pad and some input on what to get for water purification.

On the bag & pad, first off I am 6� 4� so I need something that works. I detest a mummy bag but if that is the best type for lt. weight. I�ll get over it. Also I have several more pack back trips planned so I want something that will last not just one season.

What do you guys do for water? I am thinking I want something fast, efficient and portable. Something like the Life straw go bottle. Fill it and then drink and the water is filtered on the way up before you drink it. Any advice for the newbie back packer is greatly appreciated.

PASS IT ON!
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For water, look at the Sawyer squeeze filter or mini. For a pad, look at Thermarest Neoair or Prolite series. Consider pairing the inflatable with a half-lenght lightweight closed cell foam pad like an Evazote or Z-rest. Those are good forlounging outside the tent or carrying along to sit on for lunch or glassing. For a bag, what temps will you be looking at?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got that Sawyer squeeze and have used it 2 years. I do like that.

Million opinions on bags and mine are special being very tall. I like the Kifaru long as it fits my 6'7" well. The new version looks very nice, but like my older one. Very light. I also got the wide option and like being able to move around more than a mummy. Like Smokepole asked, depends on Sept vs Oct vs Nov on that choice.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by C_ROY
This fall will be my first at backpack hunting. I have down several base camp trips but never spiked out from there. My hunting bud and I finally feel we are ready to take this on. Obviously our gear that we have had packed in on previous trips is not what is needed (wall tents & cots) for a true �everything you have is on your back� type hunt. I have been getting gear and hitting the gym like no one�s business. The last 2 pieces I need is a quality sleeping bag & pad and some input on what to get for water purification.

On the bag & pad, first off I am 6� 4� so I need something that works. I detest a mummy bag but if that is the best type for lt. weight. I�ll get over it. Also I have several more pack back trips planned so I want something that will last not just one season.

What do you guys do for water? I am thinking I want something fast, efficient and portable. Something like the Life straw go bottle. Fill it and then drink and the water is filtered on the way up before you drink it. Any advice for the newbie back packer is greatly appreciated.

Big Agnes non-mummy and a Q-Core. Do more air squats. It's worth it...

I like the MSR Hyperflow. Because when I filter water I like to filter a lot, and do minimal work. Throw some chemicals in it if you think the water source is "iffy."

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sawyer mini, therarest neoair large (all season?), enlightened equipment quilt.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sawyer 3 way, NeoAir (regular, Xtherm, or Xlite), MH Ultra Lamina

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

565 members (1minute, 260Remguy, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,880
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.