Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
That's great! I like dealing with people like that, both parties end up learning something and business relationships are solidified.

Warren

Pardon my fat fingered I-phone typing
BP-B6

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by John_in_MS
Consider myself lucky to have an excellent local Smith. I've brought projects to him before where he simply scratched his head and said, "never done that before, but let me research it to learn more about it and we'll see about getting you fixed up".

I have one now that is exactly like that. I tell him what I want and tell him to run with it. He corrects if I am wrong and he has learned some things from my requests.

Arcus Venator
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Had a local "gunsmith" declare any rifle would be ruined by hand loaded ammunition. Only factory ammo is safe enough to use.

Same guy also recommends a minimum 5 to 6 lb trigger pull for safety. Any lighter and " the gun will go off too easily."

Glass bedding and free floating are a waste of time because if it were necessary the factories would do it.

Also zero your scopes dead on at 50 yards because any farther and rifles aren't accurate enough to hit anything.

He also refuses to rebarrel rifles because he can't "afford the fancy equipment the factories use" and "factory barrels are better anyway."

He should go in with the guy who makes you watch a safety video, they could rich!

I wouldn't be surprised if they are not relatives.

Cousins and brothers at the same time.

Quite possibly "related" closer than that! smile Probably "got together" at a family reunion. (Sorry Jeff)

I spent 2 years at Colorado School of Trades - Gunsmithing. They even gave me a " Certificate of Completion". I've never been quite certain what that meant.... smile I always equated it to a 4th grade education... 35 years later (10 of it actively gunsmithing) I might have made the 8th grade... I sure learned a lot after being "educated"....

The two rifles I have in Kotzebue for tundra hunting caribou are zeroed at 300 yards (or so - you can get too picky about these things, but they do shoot 2 not much + inch groups out there). Anything closer they ain't accurate. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
las,

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have heard many gun shop experts talk about how some of these high BC bullets do not "go to sleep" so to speak until they got out there a ways. And then everyone knows that the real flat shooting rifles cause the bullet to actually begin to RISE as they leave the muzzle, and are just flattening out at 300 yards or so.... crazy

DISCLAIMER: All of the above typed with tongue planted firmly and hard into the cheek, as all of it is utter horseshidt. But crap that you will hear from gunsmiths and numbskulls alike in shops about the country.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had 2 smiths (local) tell me that the Reloader series of powders are very, very hard on barrels.

Had one just last week, when I was talking to him about a build I'm planning, that if I'm just going to run a 6x scope, a custom barrel would be a waste of time.

Most have always tried to talk me into longer, and heavier barrels. And custom throating seems to be a myth.

IC B2

J
J
I've been a gunsmith for 23 years and currently have 7 gunsmiths that I employee. When I'm looking for another smith, I want someone with natural mechanical aptitude, who is a shooter, a machinist, and then a possible trade school graduate. Half the guys I employee have never been to formal school and I have trained them on the job. Sometimes training them in house is preferred because they don't have a certificate and think they know everything. Half of being a good mechanical gunsmith is being able to mentally picture how a gun functions and what each part is doing during it's cycle. When it comes to custom work (stocks,barrels,checkering, etc) it is about picturing the finished product and building it in your head before you ever touch a single part.
I will have to say that I do like those corner/garage gunsmiths, as they create quite a bit of business for us.....LOL In all seriousness, research every gunsmith you trust to do your work. I have seen 100's of incidents over the years that were unrepairable because of a self proclaimed gunsmith. Remember, you get what you pay for....Cheap labor=cheap craftsmanship.
Jon

Last edited by jwrdn; 08/03/14.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would venture to guess the majority of the most respected innovative smiths and firearm parts makers in the country are home shop based. Many would be surprised that the who's who of gunsmiths are home based. Everyday household names. Only a small percentage of these are formally trained.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.