Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
turkish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I've a rifle with a bound mag box that I wanted to remedy this weekend. The fwd action screw was dreadfully tight and I went to the shop to get some hardware. Talking to the gunsmith at the desk I was surprised to learn the following: that my rifle was supposed to have the box bound against the action. Only guns like Weatherbys are supposed to have them free. I also learned that my accurizing work was time wasted if I hadn't confirmed poor grouping using a Lead Sled.

Anyway, I decided to wing it with the old Craftsman driver and made out OK.

Last edited by turkish; 07/26/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately, there is not much in the way of testing or credentialing standards that I know of for a guy to call himself a gunsmith. Seemingly anyone with a pipe wrench and a screwdriver kit can hang out a shingle that says "gunsmith". And, because of the dearth of real gunsmiths in many area's unknowing folks will flock to this guyand take his words as the ultimate in firearms wisdom and knowledge. I have seen and heard pure crap from more than a few. Always check the training, apprenticeship other credentials and references before bestowing that title to another.

Sadly, far too many folks put WAY too much weight or value to what some of these charlitans say, much to their detriment.

Maybe your post and thread will start up sort of a "pure hogwash and zebrapoop we have heard come from supposed 'gunsmiths'here.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had the same problem with the lug bolt. It took two of us with an impact hammer and wrench to break it loose. Upon inspection, the lug nut had Loctite on it. Once we got it apart and put a new trigger spring in it to get the pull down to two and a half lbs we shot a fantastic 5 shot group out of the 7-08.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you made the right choice....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a local "gunsmith" declare any rifle would be ruined by hand loaded ammunition. Only factory ammo is safe enough to use.

Same guy also recommends a minimum 5 to 6 lb trigger pull for safety. Any lighter and " the gun will go off too easily."

Glass bedding and free floating are a waste of time because if it were necessary the factories would do it.

Also zero your scopes dead on at 50 yards because any farther and rifles aren't accurate enough to hit anything.

He also refuses to rebarrel rifles because he can't "afford the fancy equipment the factories use" and "factory barrels are better anyway."

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

T
turkish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by coyote268
I had the same problem with the lug bolt. It took two of us with an impact hammer and wrench to break it loose. Upon inspection, the lug nut had Loctite on it. Once we got it apart and put a new trigger spring in it to get the pull down to two and a half lbs we shot a fantastic 5 shot group out of the 7-08.

Some patience, tapping on the driver with a hammer, and a little Kroil seemed to help. I normally manage to screw up these jobs with a lack of the first part. It had a dab of Loctite from the factory, it appeared. I need to find a remedy for the trigger next.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Impact drivers are pretty UBER.

So are torches.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Had a local "gunsmith" declare any rifle would be ruined by hand loaded ammunition. Only factory ammo is safe enough to use.

Same guy also recommends a minimum 5 to 6 lb trigger pull for safety. Any lighter and " the gun will go off too easily."

Glass bedding and free floating are a waste of time because if it were necessary the factories would do it.

Also zero your scopes dead on at 50 yards because any farther and rifles aren't accurate enough to hit anything.

He also refuses to rebarrel rifles because he can't "afford the fancy equipment the factories use" and "factory barrels are better anyway."

He should go in with the guy who makes you watch a safety video, they could be rich!

Last edited by MagMarc; 07/26/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc

He should go in with the guy who makes you watch a safety video, they could rich!

I wouldn't be surprised if they are not relatives.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MagMarc

He should go in with the guy who makes you watch a safety video, they could rich!

I wouldn't be surprised if they are not relatives.

Cousins and brothers at the same time.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would LOVE to know this guys credentials and background.

That guy takes the cake, so far, IMO.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman

I would LOVE to know this guys credentials and background.

That guy takes the cake, so far, IMO.

I know he used to work as a machinist of some kind in a factory.

I'd say his "gunsmithing training" came from mail order course or some similar thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

When I was a teenager, just starting to drive, the best sporting goods/gun store in the Houston area was Grant Ilseng Sporting Goods. I was trying to learn as much as I could about firearms, shooting and reloading, so I hung out in Ilseng's and several of the other gun stores whenever I got a chance to go into town. After several visits, I finally got a chance to talk with Ilseng's gunsmith, an older fellow who seemed to be revered and respected.

I got almost word for word the same sermon, with the exception of the last two statements. He did re-barrel rifles, but only after he determined that they were completely shot out, and he would only re-barrel them for the same cartridge for which they were chambered by the factory. He was also a firm believer that sighting in a rifle at any distance beyond 100-yards was a waste of time and ammunition.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed. After that, I only occasionally dropped into Ilseng's, just to drool at the extensive array of fancy rifles and shotguns on display.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know he used to work as a machinist of some kind in a factory.

I'd say his "gunsmithing training" came from mail order course or some similar thing.
Bet he wasn't much of a machinist either. A guy that puts things in a vise and pushes a button is NOT a machinist.
I've had similar experience with motorcycle mechanics. Just because they work at a motorcycle shop doesn't mean they know squat.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Know of one "gunsmith", now deceased, that believed it was stupid to bed a rifle because "nobody could do as good of a job as the factory". His son chastised me to my wife for "ruining" all my rifles after he found out it is common practice for me.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our local gunsmith sold his machines and is currently in a drunken stupor down some hole.

Arcus Venator
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Swampy has moved to NC and is a gunsmith?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Swampy has moved to NC and is a gunsmith?

I wouldn't be surprised if he is Swampy's twin brother.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What part of Maine?

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Consider myself lucky to have an excellent local Smith. I've brought projects to him before where he simply scratched his head and said, "never done that before, but let me research it to learn more about it and we'll see about getting you fixed up".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

336 members (1lesfox, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 1,519 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,643
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.