Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well then�you must be wrong. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Seal billy, the first 3 words in your sig line pretty much sums it up.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by seal_billy
So keep on pushing your agenda like the homos and liberals, cause everybody knows they make themselves look so wise.

But that's just it. I do not have an agenda. I will not criticize your religion. If you take comfort from your beliefs, GREAT. I am glad for you.

This is simply discussion for the sake of enlightenment concerning the thoughts of others.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by seal_billy
So keep on pushing your agenda like the homos and liberals, cause everybody knows they make themselves look so wise.

But that's just it. I do not have an agenda. I will not criticize your religion. If you take comfort from your beliefs, GREAT. I am glad for you.

This is simply discussion for the sake of enlightenment concerning the thoughts of others.

Yet, you've already be tied to gays and Obama, gun grabbers and Harry Reid....because you disagree on this one proposition you MUST be a liberal commie.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Yet, you've already be tied to gays and Obama, gun grabbers and Harry Reid....because you disagree on this one proposition you MUST be a liberal commie.

Oh my gosh, I hope my wife of 31 + years does not find out about the Gay part. Tomorrow is Sunday and I might miss my weekly chance to call out to God.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I used to know for a fact all manner of things that latter turned out to be false. Therefore, I'm kinda with Seal Billy on this- no one really knows $hit,we all believe things for reasons that may only make sense to us. As long as someone doesn't believe they have the right to harm me, I don't really care.

I do believe in God, although what I believe about God changes pretty regularly. I don't believe I or anyone else understands a whole lot about God, not to the point where I feel comfortable telling people what he wants, or letting them tell me at least. Maybe someday it'll all make sense, maybe not.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well put, xxclaro.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An agnostic swears there is no heaven and prays there is no hell!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
One is humble & intellectually honest enough to admit he may be wrong. The other defied logic by stating that a negative can be proven as fact.

This first answer pretty well covered it. In the follow-up, Richard Dawkins is held up as an example of just enough intellectual honesty to realize atheism is only a belief. I once heard a man with four earned doctoral degrees (history, philosophy, theology, and education) say "The agnostic says 'I don't know if there's a God.' The atheist says, 'I don't believe there is a God and you can't either.'" The distinction is one of humility.

Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I am sometimes envious. It would be nice, at times, to believe there was someone out there who could solve all of my, or even the world's problems.

But alas, I can not, without evidence. And we all know evidence is completely contrary to faith.

What if someone is out there (and here as well) who can solve all of the world's problems. He has both the desire and the means to do it, but he will do it on his terms and his timing? To insist he do it on my terms of wisdom, justice, righteousness and love is to make him in my image. Just asking.

With regard to the sentence I made bold above, I guess I would say I'm one who does not know that evidence is completely contrary to faith. There are plenty of cases where evidence wrongly convicted people in court -- proof that we do not necessarily interpret evidence correctly.

However, I am not saying faith needs evidence. Faith itself is, in a sense, evidence. But if all we do is depend on evidence, we are abandoning faith.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As an agnostic I am certain of two things, the existence of God, and the inability of human religions to understand his will.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ED
However, I am not saying faith needs evidence. Faith itself is, in a sense, evidence. But if all we do is depend on evidence, we are abandoning faith.

No, faith is a believe contrary to, or despite the lack of evidence. So by definition, deferring to evidence is an abandonment of an unsupported or contrary position.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/26/14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

antelope_sniper,

No, faith is a believe contrary to, or despite the lack of evidence. So by definition, deferring to evidence is an abandonment of an unsupported or contrary position.

That is your faith position. I became a creationist because of the evidence and a Christian because that�s where intelligent faith lead.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
How do you know if a "supernatural event" is contrary to an "unknown" law of science?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
As an agnostic I am certain of two things, the existence of God, and the inability of human religions to understand his will.

Two thoughts:
1. Agnosticism, by definition, lacks certainty. Therefore when an agnostic becomes certain of the existence of God, he is no longer an agnostic. He may, however, be a believer in God and be agnostic about the truth of a particular religion.

2. Key phrase: "human religions." If there is one that isn't human, but divinely revealed, then it is possible for some people, at least to a degree, to understand God's will because God has revealed it.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ED

Overruled. One without faith will define faith to support his hostile position toward faith.

Steve.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I believe in the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence.

It tells me I have some self evident truths bestowed upon me by our Creator.

One of these rights granted by God is the Second Amendment. I like guns, so I'm pretty happy some commie statist can't just nullify what God has given me. Unless of course I just call it all malarkey and wait or vote to be told what to do......

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman

antelope_sniper,

That is your faith position. I became a creationist because of the evidence and a Christian because that�s where intelligent faith lead.

With all due respect my friend, if I remember the story correctly (and are not confusing you with someone else, please correct me if I am) your conversion had something to do with a very pretty girl.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Originally Posted by ED

Overruled. One without faith will define faith to support his hostile position toward faith.

Steve.

Dictionary.com

Faith: belief that is not based on proof:

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd rather be in he company of folks who have faith than those who don't

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I'd rather be in he company of folks who have faith than those who don't

I prefer folks of good heart, regardless of faith.

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
633 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.