Print Thread
Hop To
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
How many rounds a year would you need to reload (223) to justify a progressive re-loader? I normally use a RCBS rock chucker to reload, since I am going to reload for an ar I am wondering if I need to upgrade so to speaker.

tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just buy the darn thing and learn to use it. It will last forever and your time matters, too, right?
Just go ahead and single load 500 rounds of AR ammo. Then crank the same amount through that progressive you set up properly. If you like mindless handwork (where you still have to concentrate) then single stage.
If you want to sit down for a couple of hours and have stacks of ammo, then go blue. You'll never go back.
And get the 650 while you're at it. The marginal cost is a no-brainer.
I think I dumped about 1200 for the machine and various accessories when I first bought my XL back in 1998 or so. I keep it clean and lubed -- absolutely nothing has broken or worn out on it, it just keeps ticking along.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Just buy the darn thing and learn to use it. It will last forever and your time matters, too, right?

Exactly.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Exactly.

Yep

P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
your time matters, too, right?

When you are retired not really. lol

tom

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A good approach is to use the Dillon system for high volume stuff and single stage using bushing sizing and inline seating dies such as the Redding comp series or, better yet, Wilson dies and an arbor press for those firearms which have real accuracy potential.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 07/20/14.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The 550B is easier to swap out rounds than the 650. If one is into high volume loading, enough to dedicate one press to a single round, the 650 makes sense.

I do most of my handgun loading with a 550B and have around 10 tool heads set up for the different rounds. I don't use my Dillon for rifle loading.

When a Dillon is being used for rifle rounds, I would think the use of a ball powder for easy and accurate powder charges would be desirable. I'd try to find a load using one of the Ramshot powders if possible. Nothing feeds better thru a powder measure, IMHO.

DF

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Speaking from experience 500 is the number you seek. I have both, Dillon & several single stage loaders. The 45 acp is the one that promted the Dillon order years ago when we were shooting 5K plus rounds a year. If I load over 100 223 for the AR I use the Dillon. I took very good care of the press and could sell it today for more than I paid for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll disagree that Dillons are only for handguns and 650's for single calibers.
If your brass is prepped and die plates good, runout is well within tolerances for anything not benchrest. Just the other day I got two of my best groups ever, both under .250 for five at 100. The worst groups were all under a half inch, this with guns I probably have 800 bucks (counting their second barrels) into.
Changeovers on the 650 only take about five minutes, and that's a good time to also wipe everything clean for the run. I've got color coded Allen wrenches and bolts, which saves a few seconds, too. And if you plan your reloads, sometimes all you have to do is change the head and start banging away.
Progressives (um, excuse me, SEQUENTIALS) rule.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, they're really not progressive. I like your term, sequential. It's more accurate.

DF

IC B3

P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I have been reloading pistol rounds (357/44) and rifle except for my ar using the rock chucker for a longtime. The idea of using the rock chucker for doing 45acp and 223 rounds seems tedious to me. I guess I should watch the video on the dillion site to get an idea about using one. lol tom

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Once you've used the Dillon, you won't go back... cool

I still use my Rockchucker and Big Boss II for rifle rounds. I don't need high capacity reloading for those and feel I can better control quality doing it the slow way.

Pistol rounds are another matter...

DF

P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
DF
I would never give up the rock chucker Since I weight. Each Charge for my rifles and assemble a round at a time other than priming the brass
Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pumpgun
I have been reloading pistol rounds (357/44) and rifle except for my ar using the rock chucker for a longtime. The idea of using the rock chucker for doing 45acp and 223 rounds seems tedious to me.

Find a RCBS case kicker which is no longer offered by RCBS. It will dramatically speed up up your Rock Chucker operation.

I have one as well as the Dillon Square Deal B.
Case Kicker video :

Dillon Square Deal B video :

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I watched the Case Kicker video and found the Rapid Case Kicker:

http://youtu.be/wsxe3W1iLyk

Last edited by Beltrami; 07/26/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Beltrami
I watched the Case Kicker video and found the Rapid Case Kicker:

http://youtu.be/wsxe3W1iLyk

That pace is about how fast a Dillon 550B produces LOADED AMMO for a handgun. That is a cool product though, and a Case Kicker is a great thing on a Rock Chucker. On the old ones you had to do surgery to the primer catcher to be able to use the Kicker though.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Dillon 550 set up for 45acp if you would like to run some rounds through it and get a feel for a Dillon.

A heads up, a local outfit has Winchester primers small rifle, small pistol and wlp pistol for $110 per 5000. He also has H335 for 169 for 8 lbs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.