Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I'd rather have a hot-loaded 10 with heavies, or a 40 with same, than a hard-kicking heavy wheelgun. Unless we're talking big coastal bears, then I'd carry a lever gun.

Sooo, you don't think the 10mm is mediocre for bears, but you'll only use it on mediocre bears?

Yes, that's it exactly. A 400# MT griz (and that is probably an old, mature boar) ain't no 800# brownie. And before you mention it, I'm well aware of that #800+ griz that was hit by a truck years ago on the west side of the Bob (It is mounted at the USFS HQ in Lincoln). They are out there, just like there are 400 class elk.....somewhere.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've seen that bear in Lincoln. There have been some big SOBs in that area in years past. Edited to add: that is where I was picking berries yesterday, with short&weak at hand. I don't consider any bear that I'd come across mediocre. Either it will run away or it won't. I'm not going to wait around to see if I get mauled if it doesn't.

I'm not going to argue about what works for huge Browns that live thousands of miles away from me. WTF would I know about that? I know what I've seen in the mtns of Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. And I know what many bullets can do, because I shoot many at all kinds of stuff. Sure, a big revolver shooting a big cartridge with a big bullet will hit harder than a smaller gun, etc. The point I am making is it is easier to shoot and carry what I carry, and I am fully confident in it. If I'm wrong, its no skin off anyone else's ass. Carry what you want, as it is no skin off mine.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 08/02/14.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The point I am making is it is easier to shoot and carry what I carry, and I am fully confident in it. If I'm wrong, its no skin off anyone else's ass. Carry what you want, as it is no skin off mine.

Very well stated. And spot on. Don't know how my thread about kicking around a new nickname for the full size and full power 10 became a thread about.... what exactly IS it that we are talking about now, besides a better,, catchier and more fitting nickname for a great cartridge.... crazy

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm talking about killing Alaskan Browns from central MT with a 40. Can't let 'em get too close! Actually, I was talking about the utility of 10mm/40 cal heavies in top loads in guns that are relatively easy to carry and shoot well, including using said firearm as a bear defense gun. Of course, well-placed shots are essential and...blah blah blah.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by safariman
The point I am making is it is easier to shoot and carry what I carry, and I am fully confident in it. If I'm wrong, its no skin off anyone else's ass. Carry what you want, as it is no skin off mine.

Very well stated. And spot on. Don't know how my thread about kicking around a new nickname for the full size and full power 10 became a thread about.... what exactly IS it that we are talking about now, besides a better,, catchier and more fitting nickname for a great cartridge.... crazy
I like the 10mm and I have no problem with its current name. I also like the 40 and have no problem with its name. At one time it looked as if the 40 Action Express would become a big deal. It was fine too and I have no problem with its name.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hAve no experience with big Bears, or the 10MM. But one of the Norweigen Countries have a long range patrol force that has fairly regular run ins with Polar bears. The Glock 20 is their issued Sidearm

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Yep, here it is...the Sirius Greenland Patrol. They also carry 1917 Enfields in 30/06.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sl%C3%A6depatruljen_Sirius

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I hAve no experience with big Bears, or the 10MM. But one of the Norweigen Countries have a long range patrol force that has fairly regular run ins with Polar bears. The Glock 20 is their issued Sidearm

Originally Posted by UPhiker
Yep, here it is...the Sirius Greenland Patrol. They also carry 1917 Enfields in 30/06.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sl%C3%A6depatruljen_Sirius

VERY interesting! And IMO they are quite well armed and set up, both handgun and rifle wise.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Have not read the whole thing here , but what is the name for a 45 necked down to a 40 ? I always called that a 40 super, gets pretty much same FPS from a given bullet weight with less pressure than a 10mm.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I never did like the 10 mm name...just too plane. 40 super is kinda catchy....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
Have not read the whole thing here , but what is the name for a 45 necked down to a 40 ? I always called that a 40 super, gets pretty much same FPS from a given bullet weight with less pressure than a 10mm.

Pretty sure that is a 400 CorBon. I could be wrong, though.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by ldholton

Pretty sure that is a 400 CorBon. I could be wrong, though.

The 40 Super is a 45 win mag necked down the 40 caliber and it is about 200 FPS faster than the 10mm.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got that part. Isn't the 45ACP necked to 40 the 400 CorBon?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I believe so. The necking down loses a little length that is why the 40 Super uses the 45 win mag case inorder to maintain the same case length after necking down. Since their is now factory loads and brass made, no need to make your own.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
.40 Super has a cool factor, but to me it's a bit overdone. To me it's worthless to rely on shooting .40 S&W bullets at velocities faster than the bullet is designed for. Faster isn't better just because, it's good if the bullet can handle it, but .40 S&W bullets aren't designed be pushed endlessly. We should know that faster doesn't always make a hardcast penetrate deeper, it depends but sometimes even then faster equals less penetration.

The 10mm somewhat suffers from this too I say somewhat because it is slower than the .40 Super but also you have how many people out there loading the 10mm hotter than it was ever really designed for?

I mean most 180gr JHP bullets don't hold up that well beyond 1150-1200 fps, the tougher ones can manage around 1300 or so but when you look at recovered 180gr .400" bullets going that fast, they look mangled because they're not really designed for that speed.

TO me, the .40 S&W is ideal for a few reasons. Slightly smaller 9mm sized platform makes it easier and lighter to carry. Secondly, if you're honest about it, a warm 10mm and a warm .40 S&W aren't that different. For a long time I handloaded the 10mm until it dawned on me one day that really I'm not gaining much of anything by shooting it over the .40 S&W.

I mean sure I could load a 200gr WFNGC hardcast to a hair over 1300 fps from a 4.6" KKM G20, but that same bullet will do just over 1150 fps from a smaller 4" KKM G23. Both will punch a hole in and out of any deer and most any hog, so again, where's the need for faster? With a G35 that 200gr can hover around 1250 fps if I want to gain some velocity back.

Same with 180grs, I could do around 1350 with a 180gr JHP from a 4.6" G20, good for sure but too fast really. The same 180gr JHP can do 1200 from a 4" G23, which is fast enough. Not identical, but considering that even at 1200 fps, every 180gr JHP will expand to and even past its limits and many will even begin to break apart to one degree or another at 1200 fps. So why faster going to be better when the bullet is likely to penetrate less, not more due to design limitations?

If I want that speed back, for whatever reason, the G35 can get me over 1300 fps with a 180gr JHP. The .40 eats less powder too, not to mention brass is much more available and essentially free if you just take the time to pick it up.

But that's just my opinions, I don't think the 10mm (or .40 Super) has any real world "usable" advantage over the .40 S&W. If a well placed, warm .40 won't do the job, neither will a warm 10mm, at that point it's time to step up to the .45 Super (250gr @ 1300 fps) G21 or my .45 Colt Blackhawk or 454 Casull BFR.

Last edited by 45BBH; 08/08/14.

Glocks and Single Actions!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

45 Super 230 grain XTP at 1100 plus FPS and a 10mm 180 XTP at 1300 plus FPS

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 45BBH
that's just my opinions, I don't think the 10mm (or .40 Super) has any real world "usable" advantage over the .40 S&W. If a well placed, warm .40 won't do the job, neither will a warm 10mm, at that point it's time to step up to the .45 Super (250gr @ 1300 fps) G21 or my .45 Colt Blackhawk or 454 Casull BFR.

life is full of compromises, but more snort ='s more snort ime. guess your mileage varies.

give me a hot 10mm over a hot .40 anyday when lookin to put holes in furry with teeth

but give me my .45/70 over either, and no I ain't talkin the judge

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

71 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 15 invisible), 1,043 guests, and 718 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,487
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.