Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just returned from a fantastic safari in South Africa with Garry Kelly Safaris / PH Murray Clayton in northeastern KwaZulu Natal at Sungulwane/Zululand Rhino Reserve.

I am a military service member forward deployed in northern Africa, and only had a limited time period to work with. I give HIGH PRAISE to Bob Kern of The Hunting Consortium who gave me great lowdown based on the species I wanted to hunt, and handled all of the logistics, and Garry Kelly Safaris who went all out to make sure I had a safari to remember! My PH Murray Clayton had a great attitude and sense of humor, was rock solid in the field and unbelievably hospitable. You cannot go wrong with Bob Kern, GKS and PH Murray Clayton.

Day 1:

15 hour flight: Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Jo-burg, and Durban, followed by 3 1/2 hour drive to the Sungulwane controlled hunting area, adjacent to the Mkuze Game Reserve.

[Linked Image]

Arrived at Sungulwane Game Lodge. I love the Zulu architecture and d�cor! If I could transplant this back to SoCal...!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss275/ebm1973/image_44_zpsf0c0fa45.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss275/ebm1973/image3_zps72b38aff.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss275/ebm1973/image_73_zps6371770f.jpg[/img]

GB1

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Day 2:

After sighting in with a Parker-Hale 7mm Rem Mag, shooting 160 gr Barnes TSX, we were off in search of Nyala!

We saw many game animals including Zebra, Giraffe, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Reedbuck, Red Duiker, a small herd of Cape Buffalo, a Kudu bull (young) and Nyala (no shooters)! The terrain was thick with acacia and lush riverine forests.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Leopard faced vultures. They were congregating on a dead tree, feeding on giraffe intestines left over from a recent kill. Creepy buggers!

[Linked Image]

Fever trees are unique to this area, and have a vibrant yellow/green color. It is Zulu legend that if you stand under a fever tree and the yellow/green powder on the bark and leaves falls on you, that you will get a fever.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We snacked on homemade crunchies and Eland biltong as we surveyed Sungulwane.

[img]http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss275/ebm1973/image_13_zpsc7302ed7.jpg[/img]

We saw less game into the evening as moisture drew in and the animals hunkered down.

We had a nice braai (BBQ) that evening with impala/warthog borevorst (sausage), steak, chicken wings, chili bites and a peppermint tarte. Unbelieveable food and a real welcome from what we get in Djibouti! lol.

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Day 3:

It was a colder, wet morning with less Nyala spotted. I came to understand that Nyala are more sensitive to weather compared to other animals. They like it clear and dry, ideally. In the Zulu language Nyala translates to "The Shifty One" which is very descriptive of its elusive nature.

As the temperature warmed we were met by a herd of 7 Giraffe including a very young (2 week old?) female.

[Linked Image]

We started to see game moving including gray monkeys, crown and crested guinea fowl, red and gray duiker, zebra, 3 blue wildebeest, cape buffalo, impala and a few Nyala that looked like real shooters.

We had several stalks through the acacia and long grass, but did not connect. We spotted several bulls that disappeared as quickly as they were spotted, and females with no bulls. We worked through a nasty section of bush full of "pepper ticks".. each about as big as a grain of pepper. I had about 30-40 on my leg but they brush off easily. I also found a nice dog tick working up the leg.

Late in the day, we spotted a nice Nyala bull behind a cluster of acacia. Murray had a chance to see his head and said he was a nice shooter bull. I could only see a portion of his body between the trees and ground cover, but it was the right area (shoulder area). I took aim and fired. It was a double lung hit (a little high, but good), the bull ran 20-30m, and then collapsed under a spiky acacia.

He was a beautiful old bull, maybe 6-7 years old. His horns were covered in mud and his bases showed lots of ridges, and character. One horn had a nice chip on the side, perhaps from another bull.

[Linked Image]

I celebrated with a Castle. smile

[Linked Image]

We then got him skinned and salted. It was incredible and humbling to watch the process and how well these animals are skinned. It would have taken me hours!

[Linked Image]

That evening we had Hansa beer, which was great and became my go-to, with an excellent potjie (pronounced "poikee") stew, samosas and a pudding cake with custard.

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Day 4:

We traveled to Zululand Rhino Reserve in search of Warthog!

The Reserve lies within the Msunduzi valley in northern Zululand. It was established in 2004 when 17 landowners dropped their fences to create a big 5, endangered species reserve. It's 22,000 hectares (over 54K square acres), and contained thick bush as well as open savannah.

[Linked Image]

We had a lucky morning and saw a white rhino, two black rhinos, blue wildebeest, impala, kudu ewes, giraffe, ostrich, a small herd of young nyala, monkeys, yellow hornbill, zebras and warthog. Most of the warthogs were young, or female, or bolted so quickly into the grass and out of sight with only their tails showing that it made for quite a challenge!

And then we found a lone male Warthog sunning himself in a controlled burn area, where he had dug a little burrow into the ash. He was old, and crusty, and lifted his head to see what we were up to. We expected him to bolt, but he stayed and I managed to place a careful shot straight through his heart. He rolled over, kicked his legs, and lay still, not even moving a foot.

[Linked Image]

Murray got a kick out of how long his mane was, which showed his age. It looked just like the grass he inhabited and made for a perfect camouflage. I'm glad I didn't accidentally hit his beautiful tusks.

[Linked Image]

We later recovered the TSX bullet, which as a quartering shot had travelled diagonally across the body after hitting the heart. Its shaft was slightly bent and it had lost a petal. It performed very well!

[Linked Image]

We heard elephants breaking branches in the distance as we loaded the Warthog onto the truck.

We started to drive off when we noticed a black rhino in the distance, perhaps 500m away. It stood watching us. It casually started walking towards us, picked up a trot, and then charged! Black rhinos are very aggressive as compared to the whites, and command respect. It got within 50m of our truck as Murray yelled to our tracker in Zulu to move out. This is the only shot I was able to take (at a distance) before things got dicey.

[Linked Image]

We saw a ton of impala on the way out.

[Linked Image]

We drove to the skinning shed where we had the skull fleshed and the meat hung up.

That evening we drove to the Natal midlands to hunt Bushbuck. We saw a brilliant shooting star while driving, with clear skies and 8 C (45 F) reading on the dash. What a day!

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Day 5:

The third species I was after was Bushbuck. Like the Nyala, they are also elusive, preferring to show only at first and last light in the bush or transition areas. They are indigenous to the Natal midlands area, which consists of agricultural farmland, and a patchwork of bush/timber.

It was a cold morning, in the high 40's, and we didn't see much life. We glassed for hours, took a break, and then returned later in the day. It was much better in the evening. We saw Reedbuck, Gray Duiker, and 3 Bushbuck females. We heard their distinctive "bark" in the bush, but did not see any Bushbuck rams.

[Linked Image]

Sunset over Natal:

[Linked Image]

Day 6:

We returned in the morning, for a last session of glassing before I had to make my way back to Durban for an early morning flight. It was 3 C (37 F), cold and wetter than before with less animal movement. I saw a Gray Duiker and watched him for some time. We also saw 2 free range Eland, leave the bush and climb a mountain. One was a great looking bull, but I was not after Eland. lol.

Murray's Toyota Hilux Raider 4x4:

[Linked Image]

IC B2

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wrap up:

Late last year I sold several nice rifles (2 NULA's) anticipating that I might have a shot at hunting Africa. This was a short safari but a dream come true for me. I owe a world of thanks to PH Murray Clayton, Garry Kelly Safaris, Bob Kern at The Hunting Consortium, and all the members here who have inspired me with their stories.

If any of you are thinking about Africa, do it. Sell those safe queens! Go to Africa!!

Cheers,
Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations on a great first trip Eric. Glad you enjoyed it.

You took a awesome Nyala and a ancient Warthog!

Thanks for the report,
Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Beautiful pics. Congrats on a great trip.

maddog

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Really enjoyed your story and pictures EricM. I'm glad your trip turned out so memorable for you. Congrats on the hunt, and thanks for your service.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats. Looks like a great time.

When are you going back?

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Congrats on a great safari and a great story as usual. Nice pics as well and thanks for your service.

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks fellas!

As to when I'm going back..? Not soon enough!!! laugh

Eric

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I would be remiss if I didn't add a pic of the wonderful Nyala filet that we enjoyed after the meat had hung up for a few days. It was seared in coconut oil, and roasted on a pan for 15 minutes, and served with a brown onion sauce with mashies. Phenomenal!!

Eric

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Hey Eric, congratulations brother! I hear ya, my wife wants to go back for her 50th B-day. So, I have three years to get ready and save money. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eric,
Those are Great animals!! Thanks for an awesome writeup and some amazing pics!! I enjoy a writeup like this that really captures the entire adventure...the anticipation, the surroundings, the hunt, the food, etc.

Bet you can't wait to get back!!

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awesome hunt and great pictures! Now that's the way to spend a couple leave days!

Semper Fi
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, guys! It was fun putting the report together. I took notes every evening of the highlights of the day and wanted to get it written up before I forgot the details. Africa is not cheap but it's well worth the cost. You get a lot of bang for the buck - just what is being discussed in the other elk hunting vs. Africa thread.

I'm having euro mounts and a Nyala rug made using Universal Trophy Services in Pretoria, RSA, and plan to ship back to Coppersmith LAX. UTS is operated by a few German men and they have a great reputation locally and at Africahunting.com. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Para45, that is awesome that you're heading back!!

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeffpg
Congratulations on a great first trip Eric. Glad you enjoyed it.

You took a awesome Nyala and a ancient Warthog!

Thanks for the report,
Jeff

I agree, that warthog looked like the grandaddy grin. Awesome story and pictures. Thanks for sharing buddy!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'd love to find out how old he was. Super cool Warthog, for sure!

Eric

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Eric:

I'm glad you had an awesome hunt! Makes me want to go back and hunt with the Kelly's again.

When I was there, the warthog quota was gone. I had to watch those big boys trot around. A little green with envy here.

Hope, this was one of many more good hunts for you.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

251 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.