Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have one coming in Monday that has me stumped! It is a National Match that is a 46' and is perfect save a small black diamond inlay,I can get past that as all shooters of the day like to add their 'touch', What really has me stumped is the fact that the owner does not think action is clip slotted! I have never seen a pre-war 06 std, target or bull that was not clip slotted! Im pouring thru Mr Rules book and will probably put in a call to him as he is ,has been a good guy to me.I have good relationship with seller and he understands I will turn gun around if I am not 100% happy. Can any of you folks shed light. For the life of me I cannot see a fellow with a NM barrel and stock screwing it on a std action! I will also check trigger as it should have an upside down capital 'T' stamped in it as well! very best and thanks in advance for any info, WinPoor

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Steve ol buddy. I'm not a Winchester expert, but from the little research I did in the mighty Rules book, this is what I've concluded:

All national match rifles had clip slots: Page 181

As Rule states, "Special Action Note, Clip-Slotting. All National matches were slotted for loading with a clip, regardless of the era or production period".

If your rifle was truly made in 1946, it will have the Marksman stock #2 or #3, depending on how late in '46 it was built. It will have the upside down "T" on the trigger, as all the target rifles had this.

It will have a full floating 24" std wt barrel, chambered in 30-06. There was, however, the option of the 308 win from 1953-1955 (According to Rule).

The 1946 is considered a "pre war" or type 1. Even though it was produced after the war, which can be misleading, which should have a clover leaf tang, type 1 wing safety, solid bolt knob, and no holes drilled in the rear bridge.

A 1946 National Match rifle would be furnished with a Lyman 77 front sight, which was a detachable type.

The rear sight was a Lyman 48WH and the stock was more than likely inletted for this sight.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks my friend, I had come to same conclusion after reading half Mr Rules book for the humpteenth time. I had a very clear understanding with the guns owner that it would be gone over by my FFL ,gunsmith before I even drove the 45 miles to pick it up and we had a 3 day inspection. I hate it as the gun is fantastic other than the fact there is no clip slot! The gun is absolutely fantastic save that fact BUT the stock is not cut for irons, it has nice color case hard target scope blocks and all the handguard hardware. I do know for a fact the barrel and stock are NM. It is a dog dam shame the action is not right! Nice ow SN as well 62223 which places action late Sept 46, I'm curious as to barrel date. I am still going to try and help the fellow out and buy the gun but I will not pay NM price. I hate it when folks think they have something that turns out not be be Kosher!!!! I have a nice sporter stock for the gun, wood and a Mac and if the NM barrel is as nice and as good a shooter as the last one I shot I will make another whitetail bean patch hammer out of her. I would love to know the true history on this bad boy, an honest NM barrel, stock(that is rare as hens teeth) and trigger assy...with a proper date action with no clip slot!!!! go figure???? That is what makes collecting ,shooting,hunting, researching and trading these 70's so darn much fun,interesting!!!!! very best guys WinchesterPoor

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Steve: If it were me, I'd give Randy Shuman a call. He actually provided a lot of info to Mr. Rule re: his book. I think another member gave you his number.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
Steve: If it were me, I'd give Randy Shuman a call. He actually provided a lot of info to Mr. Rule re: his book. I think another member gave you his number.

Ive tried to call M r Randy a couple 3 times back a couple weeks ago to no avail, he may have been on vacation, I will give him another shout as Im still on that hunt for a very nice Bull and a 338 Alaskan to finish up a couple goals.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Winpoor - Like BSA, as far as I know all the NMs were clip slotted. It would be worth making a few calls to confirm before you buy or let it go, though, just to be safe!

Eric

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
So my concerns about possiable fakery were shouted down and maybe true? But I really really hope they are not, it is a total bummer that it maybe wrong, I hope there are some circumstance where the seller is incorrect about the clip slot or maybe Mr Rule will shed some light and there were a few not made that way, I will keep hopeing and pulling for this to be the outcome, a nice clean prewar is still a sweet thing, just not the unicorn we all hoped it would be. Keep your powder dry and with your luck and connections Winpoor I have no doubt you will find one in the same or better condition. Cheers

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
No doubt this one has me stumped, the seller is not trying to pass it as counterfeit, he is as stumped as me, naturally he wants it to do all it will do money wise. If the gun barrel dates with the action and it has the target trigger I will make an offer on the gun otherwise Im only out shipping cost.The seller is a good guy and would prob. let me shoot a group if I asked. If the gun drives nails it would help his cause. v best winpoor

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I am having fun with this dog dam gun, the owner took it out of stock for first time in 40 years, the barrel is stamped 1906 with a 41 build date and the index mark. I know from several pre and post war guns that is not uncommon. very best winpoor

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It does make you wonder though, what happened back in the past that this specific set of parts came togeather? Makes you wish they kept better records of these guns, wasn't there afire that destroyed all of winchesters records as well? Still the parts got to be worth quite a bit even if the gun isnt a NM, I imagine the stock alone is rare as hens teeth.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have seen a dozen with a capital 'T' stamped in them but this dog gone thing has 'TARGET'stamped in it! The mystery deepens!! v best winpoor

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have seen a dozen with a capital 'T' stamped in them but this dog gone thing has 'TARGET'stamped in it! The mystery deepens!! v best winpoor

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Any pics of the gun?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Can I ask what he's asking for the gun? If it's not full blown NM prices and more in the lines of a target or standard grade buy it, enjoy it and don't give a damn about worrying if it's original or not!

Who knows maybe it's the original stock for the SG NM I've seen on here!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Dang the mystery deepens and gets more confusing. +1 for pics, I would love to know what the you paid if indeed you buy it.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
winpoor, send some pics to my email and I'll post them for you if you want. Thanks buddy...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not everything that got built and went on at Winchester was according to the script.I bet it's the real McCoy.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
The owner has emailed me many ,many photos, I will try and forward them them to BSA ,maybe he can post them here. I feel in my heart this gun is legit, I just hate to write the check with no clip slot!, A 41 barrel,a 46 action, TARGET all over the trigger,and a NM stock! I cannot see one making a fake with that combo! very best WinPoor

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I think I am going to go for it, when I ask myself who would take a 41 NM barrel, a NM stock, a NM or target trigger group and put it in a 46 action with the correct sight front and rear,with all the hardware. The Only answer I can come up with is WINCHESTER!!! The owner pulled it apart yesterday for the first time in prob 40 years.I have 3 or 4 guns with clip slots, they only make finding scope bases hell and I have never loaded one using the slot! I think Bob in NH hit the nail on head with this one! When I think about this time slot, WWII has just ended, I think the gun is 100% legit... very best WinPoor

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte
I am still trying to figure how to send Mr.BSA all the photos the owner sent me when he was nice enough to pull the gun apart and make photos. bear with me as I keep getting all kinds of screwball messages!!!The owner is a good guy ,he is not trying to pass a fake nor does he claim to be a Winchester expert.He would like the gun to do all it can,same as all of us when the time comes to roll one!I have no problem paying for top guns as I always end up getting investment and or making 50 cent on these darn things. very best winpoor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
824 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 86 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,186
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.