Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I have a chance to buy a Browning 7mm Rem Mag with the boss. Who hunts with one? Pros/cons opinions appreciated. I have no experience with this system at all. Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will firmly be in the minority here, but I really like mine. The BOSS reduces recoil quite a bit and tunes to the load you want to shoot, exactly as advertised. Mine will shoot an honest 1/2" with factory ammo (it really likes Core-Lokt; go figure). The down side, of course, is the noise. They are LOUD.

Mine is a .300 Win Mag in an A-bolt Stainless Stalker.

Last edited by 8SNAKE; 07/27/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forgot to add that I've hunted this rifle for more than a decade with absolutely zero issues. 99% of that hunting is Missouri whitetails, so it's not exactly what I'd call strenuous conditions for a rifle. Just the same, that rifle has never let me down.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Landkiller,

I have a LH 7-08 Browning with the BOSS, and do not like it at all. Of course the 7-08 does not have the kind of recoil a 300 Win Mad would have, but the painful noise of firing it without hearing protection was a no-go for me.

I contacted Browning about it, and they sent me a BOSS that did not have any openings in it, so I could still tune it up, and not get my ears blown off. It is not very attractive(looks like a garden hose nozzle)and it does work somewhat, but I have a number of rifles without it that are more accurate.

Hope this helps. YMMV.

Steve

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I had one in 7 rem mag, switched to the none ported version. Works as advertised but tended to make you a one load shooter, not a problem if you are happy with that. They are rather un attractive in mt opinion.

I have since sold the rifle.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
They work, but as stated above, any time you change loads you have to retune to some degree. Most of the time when folks say they don't work it's because they've never bothered attempting to tune in a systematic way in accordance with the directions.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is a great system. Use the vented end with plugs and muffs to work up loads. Use the unvented one for hunting. It does not make you a one load shooter unless you can't write down the settings for various loads and reset the BOSS if you change loads.

A 7 mag is not really a rifle you'll be changing loads in anyway. Put a premium 140 gr bullet in it, work up a load and you're set for anything from Antelope to to a typical Grizzly (600 pounds). Load development is as obsolete as a Model T. A 140 TSX in front of a lot of 4831SSC ignited by a magnum primer will shoot 1" 3 shot groups all day and kill anything you point it at.

The BOSS is a prime example of the engineers being ahead of the shooters. We have an early 30-06 BOSS BAR in the family that will shoot 3 of anything from 110 gr chuck busters to 220 gr Hornadys into 1" or less. "Load development" consisted of finding the powder that gave the highest velocity through or Chrony and then tuning the BOSS for accuracy.

I had two late New Haven Winchester Model 70s in 270 WCF. They were twins but one has a BOSS. The "naked one" was a one load gun. 130 gr Accubond and 59.5 4831. The BOSS one will shoot anything. Guess which one went down the road ?

Snap it up as they stopped making them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by foxtrot100
It is a great system. Use the vented end with plugs and muffs to work up loads. Use the unvented one for hunting. It does not make you a one load shooter unless you can't write down the settings for various loads and reset the BOSS if you change loads.

A 7 mag is not really a rifle you'll be changing loads in anyway. Put a premium 140 gr bullet in it, work up a load and you're set for anything from Antelope to to a typical Grizzly (600 pounds). Load development is as obsolete as a Model T. A 140 TSX in front of a lot of 4831SSC ignited by a magnum primer will shoot 1" 3 shot groups all day and kill anything you point it at.

The BOSS is a prime example of the engineers being ahead of the shooters. We have an early 30-06 BOSS BAR in the family that will shoot 3 of anything from 110 gr chuck busters to 220 gr Hornadys into 1" or less. "Load development" consisted of finding the powder that gave the highest velocity through or Chrony and then tuning the BOSS for accuracy.

I had two late New Haven Winchester Model 70s in 270 WCF. They were twins but one has a BOSS. The "naked one" was a one load gun. 130 gr Accubond and 59.5 4831. The BOSS one will shoot anything. Guess which one went down the road ?

Hey, LARRY, what kind of made-up bullshit game are you running today? How many identities have you burned through on 24HCF so far? Are you hiding behind your old lady's skirt? Or are you just pretending to be an old lady?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the Browning 30-06 SS Stalker with the Boss and it has grouped every load i have tried under a inch. I switched out from the Boss Muzzle Brake to the CR and the groups never changed .

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

My Winchester Super Grade .270 (without the BOSS) will shot any grain (130,140,150 and 160 Np's) bullet I want into an 1" +/-. Bought it in late 1991 early 1992.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yeah,I know.

Rather poorly,I was trying to get him into an argument.

And yes,my SG .270 will shoot those bullets very well. smile

Last edited by elkhunternm; 07/27/14.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

My Winchester Super Grade .270 (without the BOSS) will shot any grain (130,140,150 and 160 Np's) bullet I want into an 1" +/-. Bought it in late 1991 early 1992.
Yours will, Larry's won't. You have an actual rifle, while Larry and the voices in his head -- referenced as "we" -- have only an imagination.

BS, I'm Larry Root, and I don't own no boss. GFY

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are wise. I've been in the sun too long this weekend. I'll see where Larry goes.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My brother and his wife have matching Browning A-bolts in 280 with BOSS. He loves it. She doesn't know any better. I can attest that it works quite well. I've seen him tune his to 1/2" groups with several different loads, and hers to 1/4" groups with her two preferred bullets: 150 Partitions and Sciroccos. Pretty slick deal, and the factory setting works well for a starting place or a leave-it-there. They are loud, as both have the ported BOSS. His one gripe: the bbl is about 21" long under the BOSS, and gives closer to 7-08 than 280 ballistics.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I worked with family and friend's rifles in (2) BAR 7 Mags, (1)270, and (2) 30/06, and one Browing A Bolt in 7 Mag that all had BOSS's on them.

I dialed in these rifles to shoot 1/2" or less, every one of them.

If you don't like the ports, then use the CRS unit with no holes in it like others have said.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in a 338 Win Mag. I brought a CR Boss (one without the holes). Have not hunted with that rifle since so I have not shot it with the new Boss system.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup it's a shame they were not sold originally with both vented and non vented end supplied, with explicit instructions how to use each.
Even have a Supertune (http://timeprecision.us/SUPERTUNE_LITERATURE.html) on my 7x57 Ruger #1 that now shoots anything 5 at a time in sub moa groups.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yup it's a shame they were not sold originally with both vented and non vented end supplied, with explicit instructions how to use each.
Even have a Supertune (http://timeprecision.us/SUPERTUNE_LITERATURE.html) on my 7x57 Ruger #1 that now shoots anything 5 at a time in sub moa groups.

Sure would like to see a picture of your set up.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have a Browning A Bolt Eclipse with the BOSS system, and I like the CR (conventional recoil) mode. It is normal loud on my 300 mag, and it tunes the rounds well. The ported model does as well, but it is loud . . . . too loud for hunting situations.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You don't own any Ruger No.1, dickhead. As with most things, you've poached a picture from the internet and fabricated a story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,547
Posts18,453,523
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.