Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 34 1 2 30 31 32 33 34
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Dang,any longer and I have to visit the outhouse...need .20 cents for that.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

At your age I'll give you a dollar's worth. You'll be up several times in the night.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RevMike

At your age I'll give you a dollar's worth. You'll be up several times in the night.

You are a benevolent priest laugh

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
True,how about $10 that should last for tonight. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
True,how about $10 that should last for tonight. wink

Speaking of which...

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yeah...

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Padre', I am wrong. The one handy (93 Mauser 7x57) measures 17 1/4" from trigger to center of the bbl. band sling swivel, and a 110 Sav. is 16" even!-Muddy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by muddy22
Padre', I am wrong. The one handy (93 Mauser 7x57) measures 17 1/4" from trigger to center of the bbl. band sling swivel, and a 110 Sav. is 16" even!-Muddy

Thanks Muddy. I'm getting my stats together for a once in a lifetime (mine, at least) build; one that as soon as Ingwe sees it, it'll make him start going to church. grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Shot the Featherweight this morning and here is what it shot.

[Linked Image]

That's 1.162" and .396"=1.558" and that averages out to .779".

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You got tired after shooting 1 group? grin whistle...Oops, I meant wink. Have you tried any 5 shot groups yet. My '56 fwt 06 shoots like this:

[Linked Image]

Sans the match primer fu fu stuff...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You got tired after shooting 1 group? grin whistle...Oops, I meant wink

It was that extra cup of coffee, I bet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You got tired after shooting 1 group? grin whistle...Oops, I meant wink

It was that extra cup of coffee, I bet.

laugh. Yep, probably. He deleted the picture too or is photobucket fn up again??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I still see the pic,so must be photobucket.

Naw,needed more coffee. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by muddy22
Rev, short answer is yes for me. Mine all have short Rigby style for-ends placing the front band closer than if on a standard length for-end. I also generally have a leather glove on my left hand while hunting, both for movement through woods/brush and to shoot with (the other is in my right rear pocket). I use a sling a lot for shooting (small bore and high power target shooter). I took my Mod. 70 classic sporter 25-06 Antelope hunting a few years ago and after carrying that thing around w/a steel bipod on it all day went back to only a sling. Don't generally use a highpower style shooting sling but one that at least I can hasty up or can use the loop up front. I always have a sling on my hunting rifles, makes dragging game easier w/both hands, take it off and use a drag strap for non horned animals ect.-Muddy

I wanted to resurrect this thread to follow-up on something I read the other day. On the "shakari connection" site there is a link to African Hunter magazine. On that page there is an article entitled "Taking a Rest." Here is a quote I thought was interesting:

"On a plains game rifle the front sling swivel should be on the forend. The tension placed on a barrel when properly locked into the sling in a good stance is more than enough to slightly bend the barrel on a light sporter. This will have the effect of bringing ones shots low and left (assuming a right handed shooter). With my 7mm, which unfortunately has the sling swivel on the barrel, this translates to approximately 7" low and 4" left at 100m if used with a sling. Unfortunately its not feasible to sight it in just using the sling. You never get the tension the same each time and if you lean against a tree or rock, you are going to exert very little tension on the barrel. If the front sling swivel is on the barrel then the sling is merely a carrying aid on a light rifle."

I've often thought about whether or not having a barrel mounted swivel would cause a shift in point of impact, but I've never experimented with it myself. I know Ingwe said in this thread that he didn't use a sling, but I'm so used to using a "hasty sling" in the field that I wrap up without even thinking about it. Muddy, or anyone else, have y'all experienced POI shift from using a hasty sling mounted on a barrel mounted swivel?

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Rev, A free floated barrel is your friend. Look at the AR-15 as an example. The original A1 and A2s would shift drastically when using a tight sling but, is a thing of the past with free floating hand guards.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Joe
Rev, A free floated barrel is your friend. Look at the AR-15 as an example. The original A1 and A2s would shift drastically when using a tight sling but, is a thing of the past with free floating hand guards.

Joe: you mean with the swivel still attached to the forearm? If so, absolutely. What the article was point to was the swivel attached to the barrel itself by a barrel band.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yeah...that sucks, unless it's a .375-.458, for shooting 100yds and in, only. Some flimsy, floated stocks can still be torqued enough to touch the barrel, and even ARs with free floats can "show" it, IF gorilla wrapped enough.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK�this thread has gotten wayyyyyy off track.

The real Ingwe Special��

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Show off!

Page 32 of 34 1 2 30 31 32 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,477 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.