Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't see how anything but a 4 cyl is going to make the math work for Sheister ... 3 mpg isn't going to change overall cost much.

I agree that the 4 cyl auto taco is not as good an idea as the stick.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I look at small trucks everytime I go out to our driveway

she's got a Toyo Taco '07 with the v-6

I've got a '99 with the 4 banger

and I've got the 3/4 ton '02 GMC when I need a real truck

surprising as it is, I also own both a claw hammer and a sledge hammer.

different tools for different tasks

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If what you've got is paid for, running good, and does what you need. Their is no way to justify the additional cost, unless of course it's just a whim, and something you just want to have.

And what if you do buy into a new vehicle and it turns out to be a lemon?

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Do a spreadsheet and you might see differently in regards to savings on gas prices vs. payments.

Add in depreciation, taxes regustration and insurance and I don't see it penciling out.

There's no way you can get double the gas mileage and justify the expense in purchase and depreciation. The gas mileage argument has allowed many a man to scratch his new vehicle "itch" but I have to agree on this. It ain't gonna be a good move.

Why new?
Find a good used Toyota put 100K on it, sell and repeat. Has worked well for me several times and has saved a lot of money.
Screw payments!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Is everyone here still driving the first vehicle they ever owned because another vehicle was just going to cost more? All the wear items in the 3/4 ton costs more. Tires, brakes, gas and registration.
Get what you want Sheister. When you drive a new truck and get back in your old truck it's going to feel like a shopping cart with a wobbly wheel.
Isn't car registration in Or. pretty reasonable?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I considered waiting for the diesel 1/2 ton Dodge, or the 2015 F150. One of my employees needed a new truck, and looked at the Diesel Ram. The dealers wanted so much money for the damn things there's no way you could ever come out ahead - in fact you could have easily bought a Powerstroke Ford for less than the 1/2 Dodge smile He bought a Hemi, and is happy with it.

I'd like to see the return of the Ford Ranger, with a modern drivetrain. And hope they don't make the things too big.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Sheister
I'm looking to buy a used truck in the $9K- $11K range. If I don't cash it out, I'm looking at around $150-$175 payments for around 3-4 years. That will easily be paid by gas savings.

As far as Reviews, I've looked at reviews of the Colorados and they are as good as any truck I've checked, with very few complaints- especially with the I5 engine. The last two years they were made 2011/2012, they had a 5.3 V8 available, but that kind of defeats the purpose.
A new model is coming out this fall with a V6 and a year later a world diesel will be available that is now sold in overseas markets.

Bob

Watch out for the early I-5. They typically had some sort of head problem which is pretty expensive to remedy.

I fail to remember the specifics. But my buddy's wife bought one the first year they came out. She put over 250K freeway miles on it in a few short years.

My buddy is meticulous about PM and service, they only had the one repair bill. But it was a pretty big bill. And the mechanic stated the problem was pretty universal with that engine in the early years.

If I were looking to save fuel costs and have the use of a small truck, I would go with a 4 cylinder.

I have never seen a V-6 of any variety which gave enough improvement in mileage over a Chevy 6.0 to make it worth the cost of purchase and operation of a second vehicle.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you want to save money on fuel do your scouting from a Moped

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fuel economy makes a real difference if you drive more than average, and it gets you out in the field more, because fuel doesn't become as big a burden.

I would like nothing more than another late '90's Taco like the one I had. Put close to 400,000 miles on it, with less than $3,000 in maintenance. 25 MPG, and I would go just about anywhere with it.

In comparison, I bought an early 2000's GMC Sonoma, and I spent about as much in maintenance in 40,000 miles. Now it is dead with a bad cylinder at 140,000 K. And it only got 18 MPG.

For a high mileage driver like me (I push 30,000 per year), buying a high end, full size pickup is just not justifiable. I want a reliable, small, economical, high mpg truck.

Pretty sure it's not going to be a GM truck, either.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
But a suzuki burgman 400 for your scouting trips. Used ones are 2 k and they get 60mpg. A Ruger TD 10/22 will fit under the seat as will a 4pc flyrod.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'd look at a small Rav-4 or the like for most driving. You will see enough savings in gas that it may offset the other cost. Carrying insurance, taxes and such will eat more than a weekend drive unless that is a weekly desire.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a couple of buddies buy a Colorado/Canyon.

Both said they were the biggest POS they had ever owned.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can afford to buy a used vehicle, for cash, then you'll be OK. But you'd have to be crazy to think fuel savings will justify buying a new 2nd truck.

Love my Tundra.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Compare 2 trucks, the small one gets 25 mpg, the big one gets 17 mpg.
Over 50k miles, the small one uses 2000 gal and the big one uses 2941 gal. The big one will use 941 more gal over the 50k, costing an additional $3293 at 3.50/gal. Deduct from the 3293 fuel savings the cost of insurance, license, tires, oil, etc. Over 50k, you don't save hardly any money plus you're out the price of the small truck. This is NOT a money saver.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Can't believe someone is only starting to think about this now.

We have been driving a Toyota Tacoma an Dodge Cummins since 1998. We don't have a sedan or van, only two pickups.

Bought the Dodge in that year and replaced the Tacoma for another one in 2004, (ten years so far on this one)

I don't get guys are replacing vehicles every 3-4 years

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/27/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a 04 2500hd diesel, not pulling anything big anymore. Went to a Toyota 4runner, so far I love it, handles the boat just fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one as a rental while my truck was in the body shop for hail damage repairs. I just couldn't get comfortable in it. Too cramped, very uncomfortable seat and lack of legroom and no dead pedal. I couldn't take more than 2 hours in the driver's seat without stopping. After a few days I took it back and they put me in a F150. Much more better.

You might be well served by driving one for a little while first.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore

We have been driving a Toyota Tacoma an Dodge Cummins since 1998. We don't have a sedan or van, only two pickups.

Bought the Dodge in that year and replaced the Tacoma for another one in 2004, (ten years so far on this one)

1996 F250 crew cab with a 460 gas eater for a daily driver and a 2004 F250 Supercrew diesel for long distance driving and trailer towing. I drive them til they drop. Wife's 1994 Explorer had 325,000 miles on it when we got rid of it.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by saddlesore

1996 F250 crew cab with a 460 gas eater for a daily driver and a 2004 F250 Supercrew diesel for long distance driving and trailer towing. I drive them til they drop. Wife's 1994 Explorer had 325,000 miles on it when we got rid of it.

If you have a 2004 then it could drop at any time-unless you have poured some money into it. I know 20 guys that have/have had 6.0 Fords. Every single one of them has been very troublesome. They need about $8-$10K in work just to make them reliable. They sure are good when they run right though!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76

Fuel mileage in my 1996 F250 Crew cab sucks but the truck is paid for. Hunting pards and I share fuel expenses so it is tolerable.

Don't need the added expense of a new truck payment, taxes, license plates and higher insurance rates ..so nope

Good luck in your endeavor though.

I agree with Keith and I don't have a really big truck, a Dodge Ram 1500, but got a good deal on it in O's first year in office. It's also paid for and has a 106k on it- but I'm shooting for 200+ k. Mileage is pretty weak at 15-16 mpg "around town" to 19 after two hours on the interstate.
I think vehicles are money pits almost without a bottom, but within reason, once one's paid for, IMO it's best to service it, fix it, and drive it, unless the economical +'s of moving ahead are obvious.
But, "within reason" for you may differ.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.