Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anyone have experience with these for hunting in the mountains?

Likes and dislikes?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great light-to-medium duty boot for me. But I don't consider them a hardcore/offtrail/heavy-pack boot.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They are my go-to boot. They are fairly lightweight yet substantial enough for ankle support and some level of insulation. I also like the Lowa Tibet but they weigh 5# 3 oz for my size 14. That is just too heavy for me for most hunts involving a backpack. The Lowa Renegades weigh 3# 7oz for a size 14. The two pound difference shows up after a few miles. It's always a compromise. For me, the Renegades are a good balance of support versus weight.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I like the Renegade's a lot. Heaviest load packed out last season was 96 lbs, all steep and off trail.
I do qualify this by stating that trail runners like LaSportiva Raptors are my usual go to hunting footwear, any seasin, any terrain.

Ed T

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tried on the Renegade last week

Left the store with Camino

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For about the same money I like these a lot better.

http://www.rei.com/product/780681/salomon-quest-4d-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My all time favorite boot that I have used. They work for most all my hunting- except when it gets lots of snow. I do have a pair of Lowa Tibet's- but they are more boot than I usually need.

Lowa boots just fit my feet great, and I have used the Lowa Tempest low model for summer hiking for many many years before I got the Renegades 4 - 5 years ago.

The Renegades break in very fast for me. When new on first hike with them I stand in a stream in them that is 1/2 mile in at start of hike. Stand in water for 5 minutes or so walkin around in the water to soften them up and to also make sure that the Goretex works in the beginning. I know it will probably fail eventually, but I do not care later. After this initial hike the Renegades are broken in for me.

Also the polyurethane mid sole on these boots lasts for a long long time. And even the Goretex on these Lowa boots has lasted longer than most boots I have had.

If they fit your foot- I do not think you would be disappointed in them.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it.

JMR, could you elaborate on why you like the Salomons better? Thanks.

Originally Posted by JMR40

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Smoke,

The Lowa Camino's and the Salomon Quest 4D are a lot more boot than the Renegade. Stiffer, a lot more torsional stability and a bit heavier, both great boots but really a different category than the Renegade.
I have a pair of 4D's coming for myself and might add the Camino one day as well.

At the store I work at we carry all three of the above as well as Lowa Hunter Extreme and most of the Kenetrek's, so it nice to give the customer the option of trying on the various boots.
It all comes down to what is going to work best for you and how well they fit your foot.

Ed T

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a set and i've REALLY liked them. They fit my wide hobbit feet quite well. They have always supported me where I needed it. And most of all, when i was hunting in New Mexico, it was the perfect boot for the climate.

The only issue i've had is that the rubber lip at the toe has started to peel away on mine. Although, I think it could be more of a negligence issue on my behalf.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ed_T
It all comes down to what is going to work best for you and how well they fit your foot.

Thanks for the run-down Ed, I really appreciate it. I tried some on and they fit my feet really well, and feel good.

I just wanted to see if there were any real negatives, especially with respect to durability.

Sounds like not many.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JMR40

I like the Renegades for a light duty boot, but those 4D are interesting. Good write-up in the 2014 BP GearGuide.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I've been using Renegades for many years now because they are light and fit so well, the goretex holds up pretty well and they are fairly durable. They are not a real heavy duty boot but there are always tradeoffs and I've used them regularly for moderate loads say around 40 lbs, but sometimes like a bit heavier boot when carrying this much weight or heavier.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Love my Renegades for warm weather archery hunting were my pack is light and the terrain is moderate. Steeper,I go to my my Tibets if my pack is heaver or snow is on the ground. The tibets give more support for sidehilling but they do weight more. JMO

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Smoke,

The Lowa Camino's and the Salomon Quest 4D are a lot more boot than the Renegade. Stiffer, a lot more torsional stability and a bit heavier, both great boots but really a different category than the Renegade.
I have a pair of 4D's coming for myself and might add the Camino one day as well.

With all due respect to Ed, this has not been my experience with the Quest vs Renegades. I've worn both models a lot. In fact I wear Renegade lows to work every day. On my scale the Quest and the Renegade are the same weight which is surprising because the Quest "feels" lighter on my feet.

Stiffness is not a word I would use with the Quest. I found them to be the perfect stalking boot because you can feel the ground with each step. I just feel sneaky in the Quest.

The Quest is hands down the most comfortable boot out of the box I've ever worn except for carrying heavy pack loads where I like a stiffer (Tibet) sole. If the Quest had not gone from waterproof to total waterlogged during one hunt, they would probably be my all-time favorite bow hunting boot.

The Renegade feels more boot-like to me than the mocassin-like Quest. Almost a continuum towards a Tibet-type boot. Both have decent ankle support with the leather-lined Renegade version having the best, of course, you are conceding more waterproofness with LL. There are just too many stitched seams to completely treat them externally.

For me, longevity goes to the Renegades while immediate comfort goes to the Quest. Both good boots. Just don't expect the long-time service you get from a more substantial boot.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by LostArra
Smoke,

With all due respect to Ed, this has not been my experience with the Quest vs Renegades. I've worn both models a lot. In fact I wear Renegade lows to work every day. On my scale the Quest and the Renegade are the same weight which is surprising because the Quest "feels" lighter on my feet.

Stiffness is not a word I would use with the Quest. I found them to be the perfect stalking boot because you can feel the ground with each step. I just feel sneaky in the Quest.

The Quest is hands down the most comfortable boot out of the box I've ever worn except for carrying heavy pack loads where I like a stiffer (Tibet) sole. If the Quest had not gone from waterproof to total waterlogged during one hunt, they would probably be my all-time favorite bow hunting boot.

The Renegade feels more boot-like to me than the mocassin-like Quest. Almost a continuum towards a Tibet-type boot. Both have decent ankle support with the leather-lined Renegade version having the best, of course, you are conceding more waterproofness with LL. There are just too many stitched seams to completely treat them externally.

For me, longevity goes to the Renegades while immediate comfort goes to the Quest. Both good boots. Just don't expect the long-time service you get from a more substantial boot.

Interesting observations. On my feet the Quest feels much closer to the Camino, while the Renegade feels more like a mid cut trail runner. Both very good boots though.

Ed T

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks all, great comments. They fit my feet really well and are comfortable. These will be used in September. I have heavier boots, and I'll keep a pair in the truck for the second heavy load coming off the mountain. grin

Nothing wrong with a little wishful thinking.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I really like mine, however the stays on the renegades are hell
on the boot laces I highly suggest replacing them the first
thing, I used PARA cord and opened the stays up a little with a pair of pliers and have been perfect since.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just have Mark carry more, he is up to it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Livereater
I really like mine, however the stays on the renegades are hell
on the boot laces I highly suggest replacing them the first
thing, I used PARA cord and opened the stays up a little with a pair of pliers and have been perfect since.

I was thinking the laces looked a little thin. Thanks for the tip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.