Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TWR Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've been carrying a S&W Shield this summer in a PJ Kydex IWB holster. Been looking it over every once in a while but Kydex doesn't absorb sweat and these plastic pistols are pretty easy to maintain.

The pistol has a SS slide with a black coating on it and shows no sign of rust which is saying something considering the Oklahoma humidity can rust uncoated SS like it did on a Sig 230 I carried years ago. So I became a little lazy or over confident until today.

I went to drop the magazine and guess which part ain't SS or coated? Yep the mag release wouldn't move. I finally forced it open and found it rusted on the inside. I cleaned it and coated it with frog lube but I will keep an eye on it.

Just a heads up.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
good point, and good advice.

Sam......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Amen! I just took apart 4 revolvers and 5 or 6 semi autos today.

A few years ago I found some rust from sweating thru the Houston summers.

I also found rust under cylinder releases on several wheel guns.

Today I just found lint etc. Been putting Corrosion Ex in those areas and no more problems.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Long ago I got in the habit of inspecting mu work guns the before I start back to work after
My days off. It's usually the day before. I take them apart, including magazines and clean everything, whether they have been shot
Or not. We carry Glocks, but you would be surprised at the amount of crud that gets inside. Simple dust build up is amazing. I also do this with my home defense guns as well

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I fire one round in the air at the beginning of every shift and put in a new mag. It's waaaay less work than cleaning it. And more fun too.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I fire one round in the air at the beginning of every shift and put in a new mag. It's waaaay less work than cleaning it. And more fun too.

How do the passengers in the plane feel about that?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's ok.

Blue is just getting his Office Pop out of the way..

smile

Cheers!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

I wish I lived where I could do that! Sounds like the ideal way to make sure that everything is up and running before going into harms way. Great idea, for those who can pull it off.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
It's ok.

Blue is just getting his Office Pop out of the way..

smile

Cheers!

DESK POP! DESK POP!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About the only thing I miss about California (besides wimmins in bikinis in March) is a mostly-dry climate. Wipe the gun down once with CLP, and forget about rust. smile

You have to stay after all guns in a warm humid climate. I can actually think of a couple of stainless ones that have rusted (not mine, luckily)

Also remember, when you electrically connect dissimilar metals, the more chemically active one rusts even faster. (galvanic corrosion) And the difference in surface area between the two parts further magnifies the problem.

If you have some little blued carbon steel parts, sitting inside a large stainless slide, you can get surprised by corrosion. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
deleted dupe

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 07/28/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think someone shot the 24hr network server...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I noticed that myself. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
T
TWR Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've gone from one extreme to the other. I used to come home and clear my carry pistol, then wipe it down with oil, while leaving my holster out to dry.

Then I noticed bullet setback with a Glock 32 from repeatedly chambering that round every morning. I no longer rechamber a round more than twice and my new plan is to run a magazine through my carry pistol every weekend.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
During the summers here I check mine and re-oil once a month the ones not being carried.A couple of years ago I left them alone all summer and found rust trying to start on the back strap off one of my 1911's and one revolver.Panic set in and I pulled every gun out of the safe and went over them.Ive since set up dehumidifiers and
still check often.Made me feel like a slacker.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

On really hot and humid days - I open-carry a sling shot in my back pocket.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
We have a "mag a week club" at work and an indoor range right outside briefing. Its not a ton of shooting but we pick a certain skills, such as 15 precision shots, 15 shots using cover or 15 shots of unorthodox position such as side prone, supine etc. We also throw conversion kits in the rifles and do the same thing. After the mag a quick inspection strip, run a bore snake through the barrel and we are good to go.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once a month look over on my carry gun unless some unusual circumstance dictates a more immediate check.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boococky
[Linked Image]

That movie is totally under-appreciated. It's right behind Talladega Nights.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.