Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Hello. This is my first post on the forum but have lurked here often.

I am looking for some advise.

I would like to make my go-to rifle a wee bit better?

I have M70 action that has a Hart stainless barrel chambered in 280 AI. McMillan stock. Shoots very well and has about 600 rounds through it. It currently has a 25 inch barrel.

It is a light rifle now but it would be easier to handle at altitude and backpack with a shorter barrel.

What could go wrong having it cut to 24 or maybe 23"?

Runs 160 accubonds at 2840 or so and less than 1 MOA past 300. I don't want to give up much velocity. With powders and bullets I have tested, accurate loads are usually at the top of the Hodgdon manual, can take more without any pressure signs but have always stopped at the high end of the Nosler guide (seems like another node right past there though).

Anyone have an idea how much 1 - 2 inches in length would change velocity or charge where the accuracy node would be? It's a #3 contour barrel if I remember.

Leaving it alone is an option too.

Thanks

BP-B6

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Always figured 25 fps per inch of barrel. If it were mine,I'd leave it alone.

And Welcome to the 'fire Lostleader. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Based on what you posted, it would make me want to not change a thing.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
... If it were mine, I'd leave it alone. ...

This ^^^^

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
25" and done. Leave it alone.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I wouldn't touch it

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in the "leave it alone" camp, too.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Off with it's head if that's what you want. I'll take handy over a few FPS any day of the week.

Making rifles shoot ain't magic, cutting a few inches off ain't gonna ruin a good shooting rifle.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Off with it's head if that's what you want. I'll take handy over a few FPS any day of the week.

Making rifles shoot ain't magic, cutting a few inches off ain't gonna ruin a good shooting rifle.

X2!

David

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My favorite barrel length is 20". I own 4 rifles with stubby barrels, they are a joy to pack. With your rifle I can't see how bobbing it to 22" would hurt anything. Make it a lot more handy for sure, and no critter is gonna know that torpedo bullet was going 75fps slower, or whatever it might come out to.

Let us know what you decide, I would be curious to see what actual velocity loss is if you do cut it back.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think those extra fps are awesome! It annoys me that most rifles are sold with short stubby things. 25in is about the perfect compromise of wt and length for a 280AI to at least make it worth the AI. My vote is to leave the bbl alone. You can only get rid of a few oz by lopping off inches of bbl anyway.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Short and thick� Same way I like my women.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
He didn't say anything about doing it to save weight.

Amazing how many folks are scared to 'mess' with something. Just shows how many believe there is juju in rifles.

I've never missed a shot and thought 'Gee, I would have made that shot with an extra 2" of barrel'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My .280AI has a 23 inch #3 Shilen and it works fine. 3325 fps with the 120 NBT and 2840 with a mild load of 7828 and the 162 AMax.

Its also handier than a longer snouted rifle.

I'll take handy over length in a hunting rifle everyday and twice on Sunday.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I was going to switch to lower scope rings, repaint the stock and maybe cerokote the stainless.

Then I started thinking through other stuff to go through if taking it to a smith. If the rifle wasn't going around on horseback and backpack, I'd probably be trying to figure out how to make the barrel longer.

Probably should be worried about building another rifle instead.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I was going to switch to lower scope rings, repaint the stock and maybe cerokote the stainless.

Then I started thinking through other stuff to go through if taking it to a smith. If the rifle wasn't going around on horseback and backpack, I'd probably be trying to figure out how to make the barrel longer.

Probably should be worried about building another rifle instead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lostleader;
Welcome to the 'Fire from just across the medicine line in the south Okanagan.

Over the years I've cut down a few rifles, though most if not all that I can recall off the top of my head were pre-chronograph days so I'm not able to comment on velocity loss.

For me the decision to cut the barrel down was solely to improve what I thought was the overall handling or feel of the rifle. Depending upon how you like to hunt and subsequently shoot game, that may or may not be an issue to you.

That being said then, for me the balance or handling didn't change much with only an inch taken off. One that stands out ended up with a 21" barrel that to me felt "just right".

Horseback and backpack rifles are a whole different topic - I ran a Ruger No 1 for a horseback rifle and whatever was the lightest in the safe for a backpacking rifle, but again that's personal preference for sure.

Hopefully that information was somewhat useful to you or someone out there sir. Again welcome to the 'Fire and good luck with your rifle whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd cut it to 23", recrown and be done with it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd go to 23" in a heartbeat and would prefer 22".

Ask all these dumb [bleep] who are fretting a "velocity loss",what boolit they are shooting and how they are arranging POA/POI...if only because it will be funnier than [bleep]. A BC increase,will wayyyyyyyyyyyy more than offset the "velocity loss". Hint.

162A-Max/Re-22 and 22" of spout,with an erector of repute,will get you to the 1200yd line easily. You'll get 2800fps+,standing on your head.

I mean EASILY.

As in real [bleep] EASILY.

Hint.(grin)

Beware the Window Licking Clueless Dumb [bleep] and their ever eager Imaginations and copious Pretend.

Re-hint.

(Addendum: if only for pointy-headed slowwwwwwwwwww "learners")

The aforementioned 162 at a 22"/2800fps launch at 2500' elevation in standard atmosphere,from a 250yd zero,eats exactly 25MOA to 1000yds. Wind is 5.9MOA in 10mph full value. That boolit retains 2000fps+ of impact velocity to the 625yd line. 1000ft lbs of "energy" to the 925yd line.

Build for balance/handling and rest assured...that EVERYTHING else will easily fall into place as defaults. I'd not go 25" until STW case capacity,in .284" bore sizing,if only because I shoot 7-08,7-08AI,284Win,280,280AI,7mmRemmie and STW.

Re-hint.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
First off welcom.
Second ......by all means mess wit it that is what we do

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.