Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm working with a friend's .243 M-700. This is a vintage 700 recently fitted with a SS take off 700 barrel, work done by a quality smith. The headspace is minimal. The gun works great with new cases, but FL sized cases thru a Lyman FL sizer close hard with fair amount of bolt resistance. I even used full cam effect with a Big Boss press to no avail. I then ground material off the bottom of the Lyman die until a FL sized case closed easily in the gun.

Not sure if anyone has seen that before. It was my first time in 50+ years of reloading.

DF

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had to cut the bottom off more than one set of dies for the very same reason.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Is the Lyman die squeezing more taper back onto the case body than is necessary for smooth chambering?

I have a few Hornady full length size dies, and for every one of those cartridges they reduce the body diameter and put on a heavier taper than my comparable Redding, Forster, Lee and RCBS dies. As a result of this heavier sizing/tapering of the case bodies, the shoulders get squeezed forward more. It follows that bumping them back then takes more force.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Is the Lyman die squeezing more taper back onto the case body than is necessary for smooth chambering?

I have a few Hornady full length size dies, and for every one of those cartridges they reduce the body diameter and put on a heavier taper than my comparable Redding, Forster, Lee and RCBS dies. As a result of this heavier sizing/tapering of the case bodies, the shoulders get squeezed forward more. It follows that bumping them back then takes more force.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I find it WAY easier to take. .010-.013" off the top of a shellholder.
I always have a shaved #3 and #5 shellholder sitting by my press. I don't even like it when a press cams over.
Makes adjusting the die for hs quick and accurate if its not hitting the shellholder.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman

Seems to me it wasn't setting the shoulder back at all, not until I slightly and carefully shortened the die body. Then, it worked perfectly.

Just had never seen that before.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by kraky111
I find it WAY easier to take. .010-.013" off the top of a shellholder.
I always have a shaved #3 and #5 shellholder sitting by my press. I don't even like it when a press cams over.
Makes adjusting the die for hs quick and accurate if its not hitting the shellholder.

I could have done that. Then, I'd have to keep that shell holder with that die set, meaning I'd have to buy others for general use.

To me, it was cheaper and easier to modify that die body and not the shell holder which is used for a number of .473" rim size rounds.

DF

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Well....that's what you get for never buying any cheap lee dies and having extras coming out your ears....lol!
I'm just jealous....I can Bubba a shellholder...lathing a die is out of my tooling/knowledge realm!

Last edited by kraky111; 07/28/14.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It was Lyman, not Lee.

I didn't need a lathe, don't have one. I do have a very nice bench grinder, a Craftsman so old, it was made in the USA. Using the fine stone, I carefully ground the die base using the flat side of the wheel, carefully turning the die with light pressure, to retain a true 90* base. When I had removed enough material that fully sized cases would easily close in the rifle chamber, I then used 400 sand paper on a flat surface to polish the die base. It looks good and works great.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
He was just talking about all the extra Lees laugh i have a pile of extra Lee shell holders as well. When I get in the same situation I'll mic a few and find one that allows a few thou more bump. When that doesn't work, it's time for more engineering...

My most recent issues were with two sets of RCBS in 257Wby and 270WSM.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Well...DF.....you done good w/what you had. Your method is how I do shellholders. Wouldn't a thunk it would work that well on a die bottom. The good thing about doing the shellholders is they now work w/ANY appropriate die. I think I got my oversupply of shellholders w/ my inventory of lee collet dies....who's mandrels usually need modifying too!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've seen those Lee collections.

I prefer to have just a few shell holders and have the dies set up to work with them. Just seems like a simple approach, although the Lee collection works.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
have had to remove material from bottom several dies to move shoulder back.

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reduced shellholders is the way I go. Then just reset the other dies to work with the reduced shellholder.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by lastround
Reduced shellholders is the way I go. Then just reset the other dies to work with the reduced shellholder.

Or keep that shellholder in the die box to use with that set of dies.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That works too.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I'm working with a friend's .243 M-700. This is a vintage 700 recently fitted with a SS take off 700 barrel, work done by a quality smith. The headspace is minimal. The gun works great with new cases, but FL sized cases thru a Lyman FL sizer close hard with fair amount of bolt resistance. I even used full cam effect with a Big Boss press to no avail. I then ground material off the bottom of the Lyman die until a FL sized case closed easily in the gun.

Not sure if anyone has seen that before. It was my first time in 50+ years of reloading.

DF

I am having the exact some problem with two of our custom 243s. You described exactly what I've been experiencing using redding FL dies/seater. What's the technique for grinding down the darn thing? How much?

Very thankful for having stumbled on this thread. Very frustrating to say the least.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.