Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I am still mulling over the virtues and vices of the 6.8. Seems like Brownells only has magazines that are over 30 dollars a piece. PRI is on sale right now for about 33 but regularly go for 43.

ASC? Somebody mentioned them? Good?http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-MGASC68-25RD-SS
$12.11

Any insight appreciated.

From what I am reading the standard combat load for this round is in the range of 110 grains? What are y'all loading for meltdown day? Hunting?

Last edited by Robert_White; 07/28/14.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have no experience with the ASC 6.8 mags but I have used their .308 and .223 mags, they were junk. I can't speak highly of their customer service either.

Last edited by CBMJR; 07/28/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I use the ASC 6.8 in 10 rounders, no issues.

That said, the PRIs are pretty much bullet proof, and well made.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't remember which mags I have but I can tell you if you have any reservations about the 6.8 VS .223, Grendel or whatever put your mind at ease. it has quickly become my favorite AR, especially as a hunting round..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
how many damn AR mags does one need?

PRI works for me. I have a 10 and an 20 for the one upper. Never needed that many, could have done with one really...

Even if I had to have 5 for whatever reason, say 10 even, for competition or such, thats less than 500 bucks. Wow. Divided by rounds fired or years used....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ASC mags work great. I have several 6.8 15 rounders. You can load out to 2.3 COL with them.

Last edited by scottfromdallas; 07/29/14.

Scott
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
PRIs seem to be the best-high quality, reliable-I have a couple of 10 rnders. I also have a few CProducts Defence 10 rnders that function well but don't appear to be as solid/well made. Of course they cost half as much as PRI.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hillbill
I don't remember which mags I have but I can tell you if you have any reservations about the 6.8 VS .223, Grendel or whatever put your mind at ease. it has quickly become my favorite AR, especially as a hunting round..

I agree. 6.8 SPC is a very nice AR round for hunting and self defense. Not exactly a plinker unless you reload but there are plenty of hunting loads. The 120 SST has a good reputation on hogs. If you go to the 6.8 forums & look on the hunting thread, you see a many posts with videos by TEXASLAWMAN. He uses his 6.8 on hogs with a thermal scope and records his kills. Pretty entertaining to watch. I plan on hunting my 6.8 this year.

Scott
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll never understand why anyone would spend near a grand on a rifle and then go cheap on the magazines.

PRI mags are bulletproof.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a asc and pri mag, both 10 rounders. I have had no issues with either and they have a lot of rounds cycled through them.

I have used the 95g ttsx for deer with good results. I have a pile of federal 90gr gold dots that shoot well, but seem to drift more in the wind than the ttsx. I have not shot anything with the gold dots other than a coyote and quite a few jack rabbits. It looks like a promising bullet for deer.

The Hornady match ammo shoots very well in all the rifles I build for customers (I use it as a test load).

Last edited by Verwoest_P_A; 07/29/14.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Barretts are well made and function great

I know magpul made some on a contract with LWRC but I don't think they are available to the public

They may be available through LWRC though

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Boococky

I know magpul made some on a contract with LWRC but I don't think they are available to the public

They may be available through LWRC though

These will not fit a standard lower receiver. They are made to spec for LWRC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well that sucks....dont know why magpul wouldnt make them for standard ARs

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Boococky
Well that sucks....dont know why magpul wouldnt make them for standard ARs

Probably 'cause they're too busy making regular AR mags. Those thirty-rd MP 6.8 mags are some long/heavy unwieldy contraptions.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Magpul claims the internal ribs of the mag would have be too thin and would weaken the magazine too much to work in a milspec lower. The LWRC lower has a wider than milspec magwell.

I just finished putting together a 6x6.8spc and have not shot or played around with any magazines yet, but I plan on trying pmags. I have modified 5.56 pmags to work with the wssm and the wssm case is fatter than the spc, so I don't see why a 5.56 pmag couldn't be made to work with the spc with some modifications to the follower and feed lips. Only problem I see is the limited OAL.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
6x6.8 is what I have. PRI mags have never failed me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by TWR
I'll never understand why anyone would spend near a grand on a rifle and then go cheap on the magazines.

PRI mags are bulletproof.

True - but a year ago, it was availability. PRIs were pretty hard to find, at least on the East Coast, and the few 30s that were available are not my favorite for bench shooting.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Shot a LOT off a bench testing ammo at 600 and beyond. Most of the time never used a mag period.

If its availability, buy whatever you can find, and almost all can be made to work with some tweaks and playing with em.

Most folks only need one anyway, regardless what they think. I don't recall ever running 10 rounds at pigs or yotes. Though I guess you could get in the right position eventually.

Then when the good ones come around, buy a couple of what you need and or want.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Robert_White
What are y'all loading for meltdown day?

I wouldn't load anything in 6.8 for a "meltdown".

Originally Posted by Robert_White
I am still mulling over the virtues and vices of the 6.8

No offense RW, seriously. But it seems like you're chasing your tail here. First the 7.62 (which you're having problems with) and now a 6.8.

If you wanna get 6.8 for the heck of it, that's reason enough. But don't stress out, just buy it and enjoy it.

But if you wanna get an AR platform and be proficient with it, build a proper 16" mid length, 2K rounds of ammo and get serious about training yourself to shoot.

I've seen this same scenario play out with friends.....They obsess over the minutia of every detail in an AR and optic and chambering. And then a guy with a decent 5.56 and irons shoots circles around them.

Everybody has different goals. If your goal is to own a 6.8, go for it. If your goal is to be proficient with an AR in your hands, buy one good 5.56 and learn to hit with it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

182 members (10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 28 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.