Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Guys,
Need some help- I have a Savage 99E chambered in 308 Win that was pretty buggered up when I purchased it. It looks like somebody painted all of the metal parts with a black automotive spray paint. I spent the weekend at my dads striping it down so i can get it reblued. The barrel rifling looks thin (I Have shot it already and it grouped okay), I need to know if the barrel list on Numrich part number SKU: 1350510 http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1350510.htm

will fit on my gun. I would hate to purchase it and have it not fit. This gun will be used for deer hunting and be passed onto one of my boys when i cant use it anymore.

Thanks

Steve

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I don't know what you are comparing the rifling to, but the lands & grooves in rifling are very subtle, not deep and pronounced. I have seen rifling in rifled shotgun barrels that looks like no more than spiral scratches in the barrel. If you are getting in the ball park of 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards, you have a good deer rifle.

Savage99F358

S
OP Offline
S
Savage99F358,
I am sure there will be no issues using it as it is now, but I figured if i was doing this much work on the gun it would be a good time to replace the barrel. More of piece of mind versus it be so bad it wont group.

Thanks

Steve

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Replacing the barrel could be quite an investment over what you're already putting into it. A barrel from Numerichs isn't likely to just screw on and have proper headspace, so some machine work may be required.

I agree with Savage99F358, if it's already grouping OK, without even playing with reloads for it, you already have a great 99 to hunt with...how bad was the paint removal? your gun didn't come out of Oregon did it?

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
OP Offline
S
JeffG<
no I bought it off of gun broker from an older gentleman from the northeast.

The paint removal wasn't that bad at all, we used a razor blade for the detail areas and a wire wheel for the rest. the metal under the paint is in pristine condition I have no idea why the previous owner just didn't get it blued or dura coated. I will be back at my dads house this weekend to work on it some more. I believe I have a picture from before we started working on it. I will post when I can.At this point I think I am going to just get it blued and redo the stock and forearm then go and kill some deer with it.

Steve

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffG
your gun didn't come out of Oregon did it?

HEY! Be nice. grin I only painted the wood, the metal was cerakoated.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Steve,
There is a distinction between "pre-mil" (square threads), and "Post-mil" (V-threads) that you also need to be aware of when swapping barrels.

It sounds like you made a good choice, to work with the barrel you have.

Roy, You know I'm just jealous of your creativity, don't youz? laugh

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If it shoots good leave well enough alone, you could go thru all kinds of B.S. changing the barrel out and have a gun thats shoots worse !!!!!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by JeffG
your gun didn't come out of Oregon did it?

HEY! Be nice. grin I only painted the wood, the metal was cerakoated.

Sorry for wondering the same Roy. wink grin

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.