Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Have come across an interesting rifle that has this type of scope mount already in place. Problem is - No rings. Have heard and read from numerous sources that this was the sturdiest, most repeatable QD scope set-up ever developed, while also being the most expensive. In terms of compatibility and dimensions, were these systems proprietary, for the most part, or was there some level of standardization across manufacturers?

The rifle can be had for a very reasonable sum, IMO, and it has irons installed. However, a high quality scope would seem to be very appropriate on this type of rifle. As such, would appreciate any insights on this kind of mounting system.

Thanks in advance.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Have come across an interesting rifle that has this type of scope mount already in place. Problem is - No rings. Have heard and read from numerous sources that this was the sturdiest, most repeatable QD scope set-up ever developed, while also being the most expensive. In terms of compatibility and dimensions, were these systems proprietary, for the most part, or was there some level of standardization across manufacturers?

The rifle can be had for a very reasonable sum, IMO, and it has irons installed. However, a high quality scope would seem to be very appropriate on this type of rifle. As such, would appreciate any insights on this kind of mounting system.

Thanks in advance.

I dabbled with EAW's for a while with Swarovski scopes , they were crazy repeatable and as rugged a scope mount as exists. EAW I believe has that market cornered but I might be mistaken.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Terry Weiland wrote a book titled - Dangerous Game Rifles - that devoted an entire chapter just to scope mounts and a considerable portion was about the German swing mounts and EAW claw mounts. Get a copy if you can. Can't recall exactly what he said about each as it has been many years since I read the book. I hope this helps.

Last edited by BlackHunter; 07/28/14.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
When you take the scope off it releases the occular end first which needs to be lifted up in order to get the front caws out of the base. It takes about a 35-45 degree lift. To facilitate that the front ring has to be placed on the objective bell close to the end. Setting it up usually requires the help of a competent gunsmith.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it's on a rifle that you are more than likely to keep the scope on all the time I'd say no it's not worth it unless you want to keep it original.

I've made a set of claw rings from Weaver Steel rings but it will only work with strait tube scopes. They were for a drilling that is nice to be able to tae the scope off to hunt birds. Making them was a very slow process by hand.

Weaver K-1.5, Sauer drilling 7x57R/16ga/16ga

[Linked Image]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The link shows versions of claw mounts. I do not think they are more repeatable than a well made Picattinny/Weaver QD setup.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ger...mp;ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=667

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My understanding is that is will cost at least $500 and probably more for a set of rings and fitting service when I checked a while back. I don't think you'll find a drop in set. Up to you if the price of the rifle makes it worthwhile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DEVA institute found > 30% of claw mounts defective in a study of used rifles and scope mounts.

In other words - a chance of about 1 in 3 that your set is screwed.

They are NOT drop in, but need to be fitted.

I would lokk more into the region of about 1000 US $ for that.

EAW Pivot is much more modern and precice. Worth the money, if building a bit high.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 833 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.