Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Anyone recommend a good lens cleaning solution for high end glass (binos and scopes).

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I use the stuff I get at my Eye Doc's office. Zeiss also makes a cleaning kit. More important than the solution, to me, is the cloth used to clean the lens. Make sure it's a lint free cloth and doesn't scratch the surface.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
good ole H20 works pretty good........since these kind of binos are waterproof, I hold them under running water to wash off all the dust and particles from the lenses then wipe GENTLY with lens cloth or paper made especially for lens cleaning....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ivory liquid soap does a great job of gently cleaning and it washes away very easily.

And I use very old t-shirts that have been washed so often that they are super soft to gently dry the lenses.

Steve

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Anyone recommend a good lens cleaning solution for high end glass (binos and scopes).

Go visit a camera store, and use a soft brush to remove dust and grit BEFORE using the solution and wipe.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Go visit a camera store, and use a soft brush to remove dust and grit BEFORE using the solution and wipe.

I start off with a lens brush to get the dust and grit off first.

Steve

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Those big soft women's makeup brushes at the cheap stores for a dollar are perfect for the job.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
good ole H20 works pretty good........since these kind of binos are waterproof, I hold them under running water to wash off all the dust and particles from the lenses then wipe GENTLY with lens cloth or paper made especially for lens cleaning....

This works like a champ.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brush first, then Zeiss cleaning solution using a microfiber lens cloth...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RobJordan: I have had the best results with the Zeiss lense cleaning solution - it is available in a small finger pump spray bottle. It leaves NO film and does not gather dust after useage!
I use it in conjunction with my dwindling supply of no longer available Kodak Lense Cleaning Paper/Tissue.
I have about a years supply left of these wonderful lense cleaning tissues by Kodak then I will be on the search for its replacement - if anyone has any recommendations for a replacement lense tissue please advise.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Zeiss also make Lens Cleaning Wipes. They seem good to me. I buy them by the box.

Cheers, Chris

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Zeiss solution and wipes. Water and dish wash liquid. Wally World sells flour sack dish towels. Wash then a few times and they are as good as it gets, aside from an old 100% cotton tee shirts. El Cheapo make up brushes or running water to knock the dirt and grime off first.

I still have a thirty five or so year old Bushnell Custom Compact (7x20) that is not water resistant, that are still very useful. I have to be careful with them at cleaning time.

Same for scopes, less the running water.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zeiss solution for me too and paper camera wipes. I have used the Kimtech Kimwipes for years on all my Swarovski scopes, binocs, etc. and they are cheap and great! Here's a link: Kimwipes

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Rinse under tap water. Shake the binos and wipe down the exterior and then clean the lenses with something containing alcohol. Wipe with a clean microtex cloth. Zeiss wipes are excellent, Some of the glass cleaner out there might contain chemicals which will leave a film on your binos like they leave a film on eyeglasses. Avoid like the plague.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
And I use very old t-shirts that have been washed so often that they are super soft to gently dry the lenses.

I use old t-shirts to dry my eyeglass lenses, too.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When I got my new glasses, I asked about the lens cleaning solution they used. Optician said that they found a 50/50 solution of rubbing alcohol and distilled water worked as well as any of the commercial solutions and was a lot cheaper.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Zeiss also make Lens Cleaning Wipes. They seem good to me. I buy them by the box.

Cheers, Chris

Me too.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use cheap 70% isopropyl alchohol in a spray bottle. Flushes everything off before they get dried with one of the eyeglass cloths.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by AFTERUM

This works like a champ.

I dont agree with this, sometimes contamination on optics is not water soluble and you need something to get through the smudges.
Have tried several different things over the years since I am in the glass business, best I have found is alcohol, some are better than others but straight up ethel alcohol (everclear) cuts through most contamination and wont damage any optic coating.

Never use any type of glass cleaner using ammonia such as Windex

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I purchased a box of lens cleaning wipes in the "reading glasses" section of my local drug store. They had a 20 pack of disposable, pre-moistened lint free wipes for $4. They work fantastically well at getting sunblock off the lens of my Zeiss binos.

(*apply sunblock, accidentally touch the lens. Try to wipe that off with a rag and just smear it all over the place. Life happens.)

Hunt Africa while you can
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 72 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.