Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So, It seems that many here have built up lefty rifles with fabulous results. The idea seems like a fun long term project. I have built AR's before, but imagine that smith-work is required for large caliber builds?? What type of work do you guys do on your own and what do you send off to the smith? Also, I have never shot a Remington lefty, but have shot Tikka and liked it quite a bit and do have a Winchester Mod 70 pre64 7mm that has seen a lot of action. Is the Winchester action considered a good place to start on a build? I have heard there may be other better options. Any info much appreciated!

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am currently toying with a LH build idea now myself.

You can do a build out of any action. That being said if the build is a push feed action over the years I've seen more done on the Remington 700 action that any other. Supposedly it has more off the shelf parts and accessories available than any other action. I do not know this based on my own experience but have read it so many times from so many different sources I believe the statement to have merit. The Winchester Model 70 action is probably the most used controlled round feed action that I have seen builds done with. A pre-64 action is pretty valuable so I would think long and hard about doing the build with it. I don't ever recall reading about a build done on a Tika action. Call around to several gunsmiths and just throw out what you are thinking. Their insight is valuable. Good luck with your build and let us know what you decide.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think part of that is born of necessity due to the Remington being in need of more work/refinement than say a Tika, Sako, Blaser, Sauer. I've been told that the metal of a Remington isn't as hard as some other makes, making it easier to work with.
My biggest concerns are flawless feeding and sure ejections. After that for smith work I'm only looking for accuracy and function, I have all the pretty guns I need. Squaring the face, re barreling, bedding the action, double recoil lugs, and I like a set trigger, preferably one that will not freeze up from dust or weather. That will usually bring a hunting rifle up to par.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I think part of that is born of necessity due to the Remington being in need of more work/refinement than say a Tika, Sako, Blaser, Sauer. I've been told that the metal of a Remington isn't as hard as some other makes, making it easier to work with.
Oh Jesus H. Christ, Dick. If you don't know, just state you don't know, Dick. Don't feel compelled to just post some kind of ignorant bullshit because you think you need to "participate." It's the kind of moronic answers like yours that the internet acquires a reputation for dumbass information, a la Wikipedia.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Oh Jesus H. Christ, Dick. If you don't know, just state you don't know, Dick. Don't feel compelled to just post some kind of ignorant bullshit because you think you need to "participate." It's the kind of moronic answers like yours that the internet acquires a reputation for dumbass information, a la Wikipedia.

WTS: Triggers
Bricktop Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Pushing a broom at OU....
Am selling two triggers.

New takeoff Remington X-Mark Pro for a left-handed Model 700. -$36 shipped.

SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE
PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE

REMINGTON MODEL 700� AND MODEL SEVEN� RIFLES

PRODUCTS: Remington Arms Company, LLC (�Remington�) is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700� and Model Seven� rifles with X-Mark Pro� (�XMP��) triggers, manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014.

From the guy trying to sell recalled trigger, and it's been pointed out to you, but you don't have the integrity to pull your desperate ad; for what, $30.? So we know your word isn't worth $30.00, just how cheap is your integrity? Twenty bucks? Ten?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

WTS: Triggers
Bricktop Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Pushing a broom at OU....
Am selling two triggers.

New takeoff Remington X-Mark Pro for a left-handed Model 700. -$36 shipped.

SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE
PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE

REMINGTON MODEL 700� AND MODEL SEVEN� RIFLES

PRODUCTS: Remington Arms Company, LLC (�Remington�) is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700� and Model Seven� rifles with X-Mark Pro� (�XMP��) triggers, manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014.

From the guy trying to sell recalled trigger, and it's been pointed out to you, but you don't have the integrity to pull your desperate ad; for what, $30.? So we know your word isn't worth $30.00, just how cheap is your integrity? Twenty bucks? Ten?
How damned hard is it to research the Rc value of a Remington 700 action, Dick? As opposed to just posting some ignorant-ass bullshit? Your ass just got handed to you and you can't handle it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You get confused easily don't you. We're talking about you peddling recalled triggers, not that that sort of thing doesn't suit you. Most gunsmiths want to replace the Remington triggers and firing pin on the models that aren't being recalled, but theres bricktop, pushing recall junk.

The good news is by your always attempting to change the focus of the conversation it at least indicates you know you're not too bright. Hey thats a step.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You get confused easily don't you. We're talking about you peddling recalled triggers, not that that sort of thing doesn't suit you. Most gunsmiths want to replace the Remington triggers and firing pin on the models that aren't being recalled, but theres bricktop, pushing recall junk.

The good news is by your always attempting to change the focus of the conversation it at least indicates you know you're not too bright. Hey thats a step.
Jesus Christ, Dick. Is that the BEST you've got? No wonder Rancho Loco and kamo_gari get in your ass on the surfing threads. You're nothing more than a patently moronic imbecile. You post blatantly wrong and mostly stupid data and take offense when your ass is called out and handed to you.

Let's recap what is being discussed here:
  • bigpapacow inquired about a left-handed rifle build.
  • You posted "I've been told that the metal of a Remington isn't as hard as some other makes, making it easier to work with" without any corrobrating data whatsoever and your ass was handed to you over that.
  • You're mad about that, so you're referencing an item that has no bearing on this discussion.
Take your Ritalin or whatever you "special" people take and focus on THIS discussion. Things will not go well for you on your present course, Dicky.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We all know about the recall.
The triggers are decent, buy them, send them back, and use them, at a cheaper price than pre recall triggers.

Your a knob.
"Heard" the metal is soft.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
To the OP---

If you want to get into LH bolt rifles, and doing some of the work yourself, you might consider Savage as the place to start. Their barrel nut system allows you to set the headspace yourself with a headspace guage and basic tools, which you cannot do on a Remington or Winchester. Their triggers are better than they used to be and there are a number of specialty parts suppliers.

The Rem 700 is like the Chevy 350cu inch engine-an endless supply of aftermarket parts are available for itand a zillion "hotrods" have been built off it. Hard to go wrong with it, although by the time you get one fully tricked out, you are in the same price range as a Remclone custom action.

The Win 70 is not a great choice for a custom build right now because they have become so expensive (a good price for a standard boltface LH 70 is $1000.) If for some reason the price drops, then they might become feasible again. I think they are a great hunting action, but not worth a grand for a donor.

But if they make a Tikka in the cartridge you are interested in, they are hard to beat as a turnkey option. You just won't get to learn much home gunsmithing on them because there is not much to do.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by utah708
The Win 70 is not a great choice for a custom build right now because they have become so expensive (a good price for a standard boltface LH 70 is $1000.) If for some reason the price drops, then they might become feasible again. I think they are a great hunting action, but not worth a grand for a donor.
YAWN. MRC actions cover that "void." MSRP on CM actions is $745 plus shipping and MSRP on SS versions is $809 plus shipping. They are currently one to two weeks out on these and both are available in "short" and long versions. Ruger Model 77 MK IIs and Model 77 Hawkeyes are the next most feasible route into a left-handed CRF action.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great insights there, couldn't have said it better than Utah did. smile
I'd add, savage rifles/ parts are very reasonable $ for what they lack in "sexy".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Jesus Christ, Dick. Is that the BEST you've got? No wonder Rancho Loco and kamo_gari get in your ass on the surfing threads. You're nothing more than a patently moronic imbecile. You post blatantly wrong and mostly stupid data and take offense when your ass is called out and handed to you.

• You posted "I've been told that the metal of a Remington isn't as hard as some other makes, making it easier to work with" without any corrobrating data whatsoever and your ass was handed to you over that.
  • You're mad about that, so you're referencing an item that has no bearing on this discussion.
Take your Ritalin or whatever you "special" people take and focus on THIS discussion. Things will not go well for you on your present course, Dicky.

Mad? I'm not mad dumbass, just Momma taught me not to pick on the helpless kids, so a little guilt I guess. Soft metal, that according to Kenny Jarrett; but with you handling asses an all, guess Jarrett couldn�t possibly know what he was talking about, huh genius. Better stock up on bubble gum, your ass kickin skills aren't too good.
Maybe in your ad you ought to mention you�re selling recalled merchandise. Better yet, why don�t you send it back so you can sell an honest one. You know, that Remington stuff that's so good. What a wank.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Mad? I'm not mad dumbass, just Momma taught me not to pick on the helpless kids, so a little guilt I guess. Soft metal, that according to Kenny Jarrett; but with you handling asses an all, guess Jarrett couldn�t possibly know what he was talking about, huh genius. Better stock up on bubble gum, your ass kickin skills aren't too good.
Maybe in your ad you ought to mention you�re selling recalled merchandise. Better yet, why don�t you send it back so you can sell an honest one. You know, that Remington stuff that's so good. What a wank.
Don't get mad because your ass got spanked this morning, Dick. You were just wrong. Just like all the other times you choose to post. Which is why so many other people stomp your ass in these discussions. The Rc value of Remington 700 actions are fairly easy to find, but why bother with facts, huh, Dick?

And why is it you don't post pictures of anything you've done? As near as I can tell, you're the Larry Root of surfing. You're just over-matched by everyone, Dick. And you're grabbing at nothing right now trying like hell to come out ahead. Just face it, Dick, you're always going to come across as half-assed, because you are half-assed. But I'm pretty sure you're putting your whole ass into it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by splattermatic
The triggers are decent, buy them, send them back, and use them, at a cheaper price than pre recall triggers.

Your a knob.

So you think all metal is the same, and I'm a "knob"? Maybe you could explain to all of us how all metal is the same, enlighten us.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not at all bricktop, you're the one that feels the need to make every thread about you. Why the backup, can't handle things by yourself?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by splattermatic

Your a knob.
So you think all metal is the same, and I'm a "knob"? Maybe you could explain to all of us how all metal is the same, enlighten us.
Maybe you could explain the "soft" metal in some sort of verifiable quantity, Dick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not at all bricktop, you're the one that feels the need to make every thread about you. Why the backup, can't handle things by yourself?
Don't get mad, Dicky. You got your ass spanked. Now go ride your little horse and play with your Nerf board.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't get mad, Dicky. You got your ass spanked. Now go ride your little horse and play with your Nerf board.

[Linked Image]

Uncanny resemblance:

[Linked Image]

No need to share your photo album, pretty obvious where your interest are.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]
Uncanny resemblance:

[Linked Image]

No need to share your photo album, pretty obvious where your interest are.
Come on, Dicky, is that the best you've got?

So why don't you post any pictures of anything you've done, Dicky? Too busy riding that horse in the other photo? Or were you floating on your Nerf "surf" board in the kiddie pool?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,824 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.