-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
picked up a lefthanded rem bdl that was rebarreled to 6.5x55sw. don't know what kind of barrel it has on it. its just marked 6.5x55 4 places around the barrel at the receiver. standard sporter weight barrel . man i hope this thing shoots good.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well, you've had an hour and a half.

How's it shoot?

Factory stock, trigger etc??

Pics??

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I would assume that since it is marked that many places it is probably a pre-fit barrel. If you can figure out which company stamps it that many times then you would know who made the barrel

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very good find you have there. I've never seen a commercial 6.5x55 not shoot well. This is a very fine accurate round that punches way outside of its weight class. With the long heavy bullets available for hand loading today it penetrates exceptionally well. It is the favorite moose caliber in Scandinavia.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
factory bdl stock. it came with 2 boxes of factory ammo,140gr remington and pmc fmj 144gr. 2 different reloads 100gr hp and 140gr sp. it seems the barrel may be gone. i shot everything i had and could not get it group at all. 3in groups at 50yds is just my luck.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
sorry to hear its not shooting for you but now you can barrel it and know the barrel will be good.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by srwshooter
factory bdl stock. it came with 2 boxes of factory ammo,140gr remington and pmc fmj 144gr. 2 different reloads 100gr hp and 140gr sp. it seems the barrel may be gone. i shot everything i had and could not get it group at all. 3in groups at 50yds is just my luck.
I'd have a hard time believing it was actually shot out. If you can get it somewhere to have the bore and chamber scoped, that'll tell the tale. Since you don't know who barreled it, you're kind of at a disadvantage in not knowing the reputation of work going into it.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bedding, scope, mounts, crown. All should be checked out before you decide it is the barrel.
When I used to own Remingtons discovered a good glass bedding job could turn a 3MOA rifle into 1 or less.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Bedding, scope, mounts, crown. All should be checked out before you decide it is the barrel.
When I used to own Remingtons discovered a good glass bedding job could turn a 3MOA rifle into 1 or less.

What he said - very good advice in that post.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
action is bedded ,barrel has very nice target crown.i bought the gun cheap enough that it does not matter price wise. the action is worth more then i payed. the rifling almost looks like the older military ,not very deeply cut and edges are very flat. i was hoping it would shoot good but i didn't have very much faith in the barrel after a good close look at the rifling. may be time to buy a new barrel.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would do some more exploring before throwing in the towel. Previous owner might of been a knuckle head and might not of known what he was doing. Maybe he was shooting cast bullets and leaded the barrel pretty bad, hence the "shallow" looking rifling.
Give it a good cleaning?
Check the bedding by removing the rear action screw and then see if the action or barrel moves around if you push on either end.
Forearm free floated?

Challenges like this can sometimes be fun to turn an inaccurate beater into a tack driver.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
barrel is floated action bedded front and back. i remembered i had a few of my old reloads from when i had a mauser that kimber redone about 10 yrs back. i shot those in it today. first shot at 50yds was 3in right,second was 3in low and the hole is long like the bullet was not flyin straight. i think its done.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the twist rate? You'd think a 6.5mm barrel chambered for anything would be fairly fast (8.5 to 9 inch twist) but screwups have been known to happen. If twist is all right I'd wonder what the diameter is. That can be checked by slugging the bore.

Even a worn out throat shouldn't keyhole rounds like that at 50 yards if the twist and diameter are correct, unless it's seriously deforming the bullets like an egg shaped leade or something. Again, anything is possible but from the sound of it those bullets aren't being stabilized from the get go.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 80 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,688
Posts18,456,480
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.