Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bryant Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
If you want a really nice .22, find a used Winchester/Browning 52 repro. Should run you in the neighborhood of $600-$800. Sometimes you can find one for that price with glass/mounts, etc..

It will be better looking than just about anything else you can find for twice the price (except for a used Cooper), it will out shoot just about everything, has a great trigger, and most of them have great wood but it is sometimes covered up with their factory stain and finish.

Bob

My dad has a 52 repro very nice rifle. A little heavy for a 22 but I could definitely live with it. Might have to look for one.

GB1

B
Bryant Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
What's the deal with the kimber of America (Yonkers ny) 22 rifles. I always wanted one and now they are discontinued and I I never see them on the used market. I quess everyone is hanging on to them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Kimbers are very nice rifles and come up quite often on the used market on gunbroker.com and other auction sites. The Yonkers models seem to have a mystique about them, but I've seen the Kimber of Oregon, Yonkers, and others and for my money the Kimber of Oregon are the best of the bunch, followed very closely by the Yonkers versions.
I wouldn't have an argument with anyone who reversed that order as they are very close in overall fit, finish, and capability. They run about the same money as the Win 52 Repros.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by avagadro
Bought a 452 Varmint ... didn't care for it one bit ... new owner loves it! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Good Luck with whatever you decide. Maybe you'll like the taste of CZ kool-aid. If so, enjoy! smile

FWIW, I did shoot the set trigger, didn't like that much either, broke clean and light, but the 1/4" of over-travel after the break IMHO robbed the CZ of some of it's accuracy potential.

This is very true about the set trigger function. As much as I like the set trigger function, I have to agree with you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Although,I must admit, if I could find a 453 varmint, I'd probably give it a whirl mainly because I like that the front action screw being on the action and not tugging on the barrel. We have 100 yard 3-position rimfire shoots. Regardless of my perceived short comings of the CZ it was perfectly balanced for that event. Mine was decent at 50 yards, but at 100 I could not get decent groups regardless of ammo selection.

There is one for sale on RFC but I'm don't think I'll roll the dice for $600. If it was a ggod shooter I don't think it would be for sale!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
CZ's are nice, I like Winchester 52's and Anschutz 54's more. If you want just one really nice 22, skip the CZ. They're great for the money, but not a "once in a lifetime" rifle.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Kimbers of NY are worth the effort to find.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oregon45
CZ's are nice, I like Winchester 52's and Anschutz 54's more. If you want just one really nice 22, skip the CZ. They're great for the money, but not a "once in a lifetime" rifle.

I've got 4 CZ's, had several others in the past. What they are/were (as the cost has gone waay up in the past 14 years) is the best rifle in it's dollar range, that is considering quality & accuracy. But I have to agree with Oregon45 that I don't feel they are a "once in a lifetime" rifle. For me that probably(?) would be a Yonkers Kimber 22. I (We?) have several guns and it seems to me I often wish I had just one good one... spend more than you feel you can afford and buy your "once in a lifetime" rifle the first time.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Anchutz 64, none better for the price.-Muddy

IC B3

B
Bryant Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just picked up a 455... Looks really nice. We shall see how she shoots.

B
Bryant Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just got back for shooting the brand new 455...I think I'm gonna like it

A few observations, with leupold rifleman rings and my 4 x 32 Nikon the bolt does rub the scope. It will work but I will probley change rings and or scopes in the future

Shot a little over a half an inch at 50 yards with cci sub sonic and stinger. I'm sure it will do better with match ammo and some barrel brake in.

Good enough to shoot a squirrel in the head at 40-50 yards out of the box!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
As money permits I would do the yo Dave trigger kit, dip mag well and mag release extension. Very handy items to add.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bryant
Just picked up a 455... Looks really nice. We shall see how she shoots.

OOPS I missed the boat here. I just PM'ed you about my in the box Browning BL-22. I think it is a grade ll, has some engraving and very high grade finish etc.

Good luck with that 455.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kevinJ
As money permits I would do the yo Dave trigger kit, dip mag well and mag release extension. Very handy items to add.

The yo Dave kit seems a little hokey to me, but many have success with it. I liked the rifle basix replacement trigger in my 452 .... a bit more expensive, but delivers a great trigger, except for the over-travel, which you can't get rid of without a lot of effort.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Looks like I'm late to the game as you've already bought a fine CZ rifle. I was going to throw out that Sako is making the Finnfires again:

http://www.sako.fi/sakofinnfire2.php

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone handled the new finnfire? I loved my old forester and having a sako 22 wouldn't be hard to justify.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Order a Cooper built exactly how you want it and sell off a few other guns to help pay for it. It might take a year to get it so you have the chance to save more money to help pay for it.
You will have no regrets and a rifle that will stay with you until you die.

To be fair I am a bit of a .22 rimfire slut.

CZ - I have 2 - One Mannlicher - One 455 with darn good wood. CZ represents the best value in .22 todays

A BL-22 with a Skinner peep on it. Ton of fun. Usually run Winchester CB match through it. Quieter than my air rifle and more fun.

An old Winchester semi-auto that was my grandfathers

A weird single shot German one I need to research some time.

A 10/22 because, after all, I'm an American. This one I bought in 1980 for $89 at Kmart. It was the first rifle I bought myself.

Cooper is the most correct answer, so much so I did it twice. grin The first one was an off the shelf that shoots great. This one they stocked with a piece of walnut that my Grandfather cut off our farm in KY 40 years ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Bryant Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I changed my rings on the cz 455 to a set of b square sport utility lows that I found in my gun parts box, I don't even know where they came from. They work great and seem to be about as low as you can go and still get good bolt cleaence.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the money the CZ is the best rimfire on the market, bar none.

If not a CZ I really like my Winchester 52s and Remington 541s.

At the next level come the Kimbers and Coopers. And of course Anschutz.

Unfortunately for me, I had a Kimber that wouldn't shoot. My buddy had one that shot wonderfully.

Congrats on your purchase. My guess is it will quickly become one if your favorite rim fires.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (14idaho, 35, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.