Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Two ways I have done it worked well. Sometimes we buy bacon trimmings from the butcher shop and add about 10% to the ground venison. This add flavor and since the bacon is cured it keeps better. Same thing using beef sirloin trimmings, better flavor than the tallowy brisket fat. Only the beef doesn't keep as long.

But mostly I grind as needed and just use olive oil and Worcester sauce after working the patties. Great if you sear them fast usually add Montreal,garlic or other spices too.

A ground patty wrapped in bacon as a faux fillet is good too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I like 10% beef fat as it holds the patties together much better. My favorite recipe for burgers: 1 package Lipton Onion Soup mix(dry), 2 tbsp A-1, 1 tbsp Worcestershire, 1 tbsp Pickapeppa, 1 tbsp Tony's cajun seasoning. I get quite a few comments on burgers with that recipe.

If you are still having trouble with the patties coming apart, you can add either an egg or bread/cracker crumbs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes ,fat does make any meat stay together better. we add 20% beef fat. pork will work but it doesn't freeze as long . i take 10lbs of chunked deer and the fat and spread it out in a big flat pan. then dump a whole can of weber blazin burger seasoning over it and mix. then grind it. i make mine into patties and vacuum seal 2 in a pack. cook them pink in the center. i like to serve with one strip of bacon on the bottom and a hand full of crumbled blue cheese on top.sweetness of the bacon and the bite of the blue cheese are the perfect combo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1 LB ground venison
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tbsp Kikkoman soya sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 egg

That is the basic recipe. Liquid smoke and other herbs and spices can be use to alter the taste according to the evenings menu. Enjoy!

Last edited by olgrouser; 07/08/14.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I add about 20% ground beef and salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and mustard powder. I eat them about once a week and they are delicious!

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Tag

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Fat-free venison burgers stay together fine if you put them on a HOT pan or grill, then don't try to flip them every 30 seconds, like most people do. Let them brown for a while on the first side, and they'll bind pretty well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Let them brown for a while on the first side, and they'll bind pretty well.

Yep!

We've not bought ground beef in several years. The wife and kids love it and the younger kids probably don't know what ground beef is. We use ground venison in everything.

The only thing I ever do to burgers is sprinkle a little Weber Gourmet Burger seasoning on each side.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have done them both with and without adding fat. I prefer to add about 10% fat; sometimes it's pork, sometimes it's beef. I have never tried the bread crumb addition but danm I love meatloaf so might try a batch this year. I make a lot of sausage patty and it freezes just fine. I used 25% pork fat with it. I season and immediately grill one to check for flavor. I then add more until just right then package and freeze.

You guys that have nice farm flavored whitetails get away with more because the meat itself is so good. AZ deer meat is not nearly as good as what I have tasted from the midwest. That's why I doll it up a little first!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ground last years deer, 1/3 bacon and 2/3 lean venison. Tastes great.
Just go to the local meat market and get unsliced bacon. I learned this from Rock Chuck.
I also learned, he doesn't grind it all at once but freezes his venison until needed. This keeps better than making it all into burger from the start.
I'll do that this year, though I just made some burritos with mine and it was still excellent. It was heavily seasoned though.

I also got a burger press and wax paper squares and pressed out some burger patties and froze. Just take them out of the freezer bag and throw them on the grill. They hold together very well.

Last edited by snubbie; 07/18/14.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Grind 12-15 pounds of venison (whatever kind you want) with three pounds of bacon ends and five pounds of greasy beef. You can also add some pickled jalapenos and even cheese. The beef is only to help keep the burgers together.

Best burger I ever tasted.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I mix venison with beef brisket 50/50. I cut both into about 1" cubes and run it through the grinder twice. It makes great hamburgers, spaghetti sauce, meatloaf or anything else you would use ground beef for. Great flavor.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It is standard to have 10% beef fat added to venison in our area.

In two lbs of deer meat

table spoon of Worcester sauce

talble spoon of Liquid Smoke

dice up an onion, add as much as you can stand

1 egg

sprinkle with Olive oil

salt and pepper

I like to cook these on my outdoor grill. I will cook the burgers for 5 minutes with the lid down, flip once after cooking 5 minutes per side, no flipping back and forth.

The combo of Worcester sauce and Liquid Smoke seals the deal on being the best burgers you have ever had.

If you let the mixture sit overnight prior to cooking so the meat can absorb all the flavors, you are way ahead of the game.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sounds good except for the onions. I like my cooked until caramelized!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by victoro
I mix venison with beef brisket 50/50. I cut both into about 1" cubes and run it through the grinder twice. It makes great hamburgers, spaghetti sauce, meatloaf or anything else you would use ground beef for. Great flavor.

+1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ain't gonna lie, I did not like the taste of my first venison burger. A buddy had cooked a few up and he thought they were great and I...well. It was tough, dry and it just didn't taste good.

I see a lot of ideas in this thread worth trying. Thanks guys!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I LOVE venison burger, not all venison burger, but mine for sure.
Often I grind the whole buck with the exception of the backstraps.
Many people have bad experiences with ground venison due to poor handling by the processer, often venison fat, sinew, glands and hair are ground together to produce a completely inedible product, often a badly rutted out buck can yield poor results as well.
If you delete those items completely, and grind only clean red meat, your end result will be truly remarkable.
I add about 30% fatty beef burger or pork shoulder to mine during the first grind, mix it together completely then grind it again, to create a truly delicious, versatile product that my family simply relishes all year long.

Proud NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by bucktail
Venison doesn't dry out if you leave it pink in the middle. I do often add olive oil myself as it makes things more mistake proof.

Straight venison, cook with a little olive oil, pink in the middle, bucktail has it right! Burger hot, beer cold. Home made bread. Watch the great dane constantly, as he sees the platter at eye level as an invitation. Plan nap afterword.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
60/30/10 Venison, beef, bacon. Grind all separate, grind together again or mix together with a butchers mixer.

Lots of ways to do it. Just leave it a little pink, its already dead.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WPAHunter50
Anybody have any good deer burger recipes you would like to share. Have trouble keeping the patties stuck together. Seems I read somewhere that people use tapioca for this. Any ideas ?

Good posts! Another one is black bear meat. Makes stuff sticky. I like 50/50 venison/bear. Great on the grill.

Don't use tapioca, or corn starch, or any of that stuff. Its baloney. wink

There are many copies.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 49 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.